Narnia (los Choronicle De)

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
I AINT SEEING NO DAMN CHRISTIAN MOVIE!!!

Did you not see any of the Lord of the Rings movies then?

I'm amazed how America has to politicise EVERYTHING. It's just a farie tale, yes there are religious overtones in it, but so are there in many other "much loved" films.

On the theme of death and resurection; E.T , Lord of the Rings (Gandalf the Grey / White) and even Star Wars used it to great effect.

I'm taking my kids to see it on Christmas Eve.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)

I'm amazed how America has to politicise EVERYTHING. It's just a farie tale, yes there are religious overtones in it, but so are there in many other "much loved" films.

On the theme of death and resurection; E.T , Lord of the Rings (Gandalf the Grey / White) and even Star Wars used it to great effect.

I intended for my post to satirize the issue. I've felt similar sentiments regarding people drawing politics into a fictionalized movie.

Specifically, boards on IMDB highlight the odd obsession some have with media outlets heavily publicizing a movie featuring subtle, religious elements. None of which openly promote Christianity.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)

I thought I read somewhere that Tolkien was friends with the person that wrote Narnia. When Tolkien wrote a story with political undertones, Narnia's writer wrote one with religious undertones.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I intended for my post to satirize the issue.  I've felt similar sentiments regarding people  drawing politics into a fictionalized movie.

Specifically, boards on IMDB highlight the odd obsession some have with media outlets heavily publicizing a movie featuring subtle, religious elements. None of which openly promote Christianity.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/...rnia/index.html

You can read the seven volumes of the Chronicles of Narnia as a Christian allegory or as an ornate book of wonder (or both), but either way it's marked by the devout, almost pristine earnestness of Lewis' sincerity and gravitas.

I think this quote sums it up for me. Interpretation is up to you, take what you want from it, it is a great story.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
I thought I read somewhere that Tolkien was friends with the person that wrote Narnia.  When Tolkien wrote a story with political undertones, Narnia's writer wrote one with religious undertones.

Tolkien fell out with Lewis in a big way over his use of Father Christmas in the book.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
I intended for my post to satirize the issue.  I've felt similar sentiments regarding people  drawing politics into a fictionalized movie.

Point taken, GREEN would have helped.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
I think it looks fantastic.  I wonder if the sequels are in the making already, or if they are going to try and gauge the success of the first one before they commit to it.

Despite it being a kids based movie/story, it looks really interesting. I'll probably check it out eventually. The effects look fantastic.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)

I don't think it's just been media outlets...Disney produced the movie, and they've quite actively encouraged the marketing of this movie directly through churches as a Christian allegory. They've hired the same publicity group that Mel Gibson used to market "The Passion" through churches, they've conducted private advanced screenings of the film through churches, tried to convince church leaders to tell people to go to the film, that sort of thing. Yahoo news.

None of that, of course, means that it will be a bad movie, nor does it necessarily mean that it's going to be overly preachy, nor does it mean that you shouldn't see it if you go to church less than 1 time per week. I'm sure I'll see it at some point...probably wait for DVD (didn't even see Fellowship in theaters, don't know why I'd see this one there if I didn't see that one there, it's so much cheaper, and this month's film dollars will probably go to Kong.)

I'll probably see the movie, having read the book. And, I enjoyed the book, but even there I thought the symbolism and everything was a little too heavy handed. There were a couple times, when I would just groan. I like my symbolism like I like my men: understated and subtle.

I think the Magician's Nephew is actually better than LW&W

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
I'll probably see the movie, having read the book. And, I enjoyed the book, but even there I thought the symbolism and everything was a little too heavy handed. There were a couple times, when I would just groan.

Lewis wrote the books for his grandchildren. I'm sure heavy handedness wasn't his concern for mirroring Christ's sacrifice. *groan* :rolly

I like my symbolism like I like my men: understated and subtle.

you mean you like men without balls....

I was wrong to assume religious themes featured within Narnia were "subtle." Reading Ebert's review, the Lion's ressurrection alone convinces me otherwise.

Regardless, unless the movie preaches salvation for those who follow the 10 commandments and regard Jesus Christ as their savior, it shouldn't be that excruciating for any practicing member of another religion (atheists included) to watch this film.

Screening Narnia specifically to Christians and Church officials is market driven. Film executives know which audience is most likely to watch the movie.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Screening Narnia specifically to Christians and Church officials is market driven. Film executives know which audience is most likely to watch the movie.

I agree, it makes sense to me, I just think it's hard to blame message boards for discussing it if Disney's out there driving that exact point home through marketing.

"Welcome to Narnia. I'm Mr. Tumnus"

"Hey gimme back my sock you goat bastard!"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
I agree, it makes sense to me, I just think it's hard to blame message boards for discussing it if Disney's out there driving that exact point home through marketing.

"Welcome to Narnia.  I'm Mr. Tumnus"

"Hey gimme back my sock you goat bastard!"

Watch T.V.--you'd never guess from commercials there exists elements of Christianity in the movie. Their marketing strategy (of drawing Christians) is not conducted through the mainstream media. It could be Church leaders telling other Church leaders to tell their congregation to watch the film. Different from ABC broadcasting a trailer which draws comparison between Christ and the Lion. If that had been the case, I'd understand people being upset.

While I don't guage a message board as a true representation of the public, it's still one area where you can expect honest opinions. And from IMDB, it appears the issue of Christianity in the film has many people upset. As if complaining about Christmas wasn't enough.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
I saw it and have to admit I liked it a lot more than I wanted to.

even if you don't like what they're trying to say with the symbolism and allagories, you have to admit, this movie was pretty damned good. I might go see it tonight again.

I give it a solid A. I loved Lucy, but the other three had to grow on me a lot. I can't wait for another one.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
I liked it, but I probably would've liked it more if I read the books.  One thing that was stupid was the part with Santa.  What in the hell was that about?

it was written for kids. I think C.S. Lewis was saying that you're never too old for santa. Santa brings the kids "tools" and not toys.

It didn't bother me, but I understand how it could if you never read the books. It is a bit unexpected.