Lakers @ bulls.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Pippen guided the Jordan-less Bulls to the Eastern Conference Finals in 1994. f***, he was under serious consideration for MVP. If not for a phantom foul call in New York, it could have been possible the Bulls retained their crown. He'll always be remembered for being Jordans 'sidekick,' but those who know the game realize he was a quality player in his own regard.

Pippen finished 3rd in voting with 7 first place votes. Hakeem Olajuwon won it with 66 first place votes followed by David Robinson with 24 first place votes. Not too shabby for Pippen.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Pippen guided the Jordan-less Bulls to the Eastern Conference Finals in 1994. f***, he was under serious consideration for MVP. If not for a phantom foul call in New York, it could have been possible the Bulls retained their crown. He'll always be remembered for being Jordans 'sidekick,' but those who know the game realize he was a quality player in his own regard.

:finger Hugh Hollins.

Btw, i believe rodman> pippen defensively that is not even including their rebounding skills. I know someone will bring up pippens steals but believe it or not steals and blocks look good in the box score but they are only about a quarter of the game defensively imo.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Btw, i believe rodman> pippen defensively that is not even including their rebounding skills. I know someone will bring up pippens steals but believe it or not steals and blocks look good in the box score but they are only about aquarter of the game defensively imo.

Thats what made those Bulls teams so great. Obviously they had the greatest player ever in Jordan who could take over a game like very few others. He was a dominant scorer, and then Pippen was a pretty good offensive player as was Kukoc. And then of course you had great role players who played their role to perfection. However, the best part about those teams were their defense. They had three of the best defenders of that generation in Rodman, Jordan, and Pippen. I would rate Pippen the best of the three because he had the most versatility. I still remember him guarding both Kemp and Payton in the 96 Finals. Rodman was one of the best low post defenders of all time. Which is unbelievable considering he wasn't exactly the tallest or strongest of players. But his use of positioning is unmatched. And then you have Jordan who is probably one of the best on the ball defenders of all time when he wanted to be.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Btw, i believe rodman> pippen defensively that is not even including their rebounding skills. I know someone will bring up pippens steals but believe it or not steals and blocks look good in the box score but they are only about a quarter of the game defensively imo.

I hope you mean just guarding big men.

I was agreeing with almost everything you were saying about PIP in this thread 'til now...

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
idk, I just think he was more than a complimentary player, but not a superstar. And yes statistically when Jordan wasn't there averaging over 20 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists. That's very solid, but unlike some of the greats, when his career was ending, his ability statistically really took a hit.

So your argument is that he isn't a great because his numbers went down when he got older? :huh:

That's almost every single great player...

Off the top of my head I can only think of Jordan retiring on top.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
So your argument is that he isn't a great because his numbers went down when he got older?    :huh:

Twice.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Alright! A Stockton and Malone prop right there! I think there's one thing all of us can agree on. Chicago got a hell of a deal with the trade in getting Pippen for Polynice I want to say.

I've long said if it weren't for Jordan and Pippen the Jazz would have won at least 3 champions and Karl Malone may have been the greatest player ever and they would have been the best duo ever.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
I hope you mean just guarding big men.

I was agreeing with almost everything you were saying about PIP in this thread 'til now...

I am saying he was the better one on one defender out of the two. Clearly neither were a slouch but i would give the edge to rodman. He would keep everyone off balance and would even let the passer get the ball into the man he was guarding countless times a game. I have never seen anything like it. I know i am not the only one with that train of thought.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Being a Bulls fan I think about the times we beat the s*** out of the Jazz...

jordan98_200_greatestfinals.jpg

lol I knew I was going to get some comments about that. Winning 4-2 each time isn't really beating the s*** out of them. Especially when there were very, very generous calls, but that's another story.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
So your argument is that he isn't a great because his numbers went down when he got older?    :huh:

I said he declined a lot more than most great players do. Sure he wasn't like a Penny Hardaway but you could tell he significantly lost a step or two.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
lol I knew I was going to get some comments about that. Winning 4-2 each time isn't really beating the s*** out of them. Especially when there were very, very generous calls, but that's another story.

When you have one of the best teams organized ( talent wise) you are damn right they are gonna get some calls. That is why i do not b**** when the superstars of today get every call their way. Was just like that for the bulls for nearly a decade... the bulls have had their fair share of calls go their way.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
I said he declined a lot more than most great players do. Sure he wasn't like a Penny Hardaway but you could tell he significantly lost a step or two.

Not many players went as hard night in night out as pippen. His drop off is not as signifigant as you make it out to be... but there clearly was one. I don't think many people have seen him ''dog'' a play... EVAR. Jordan? Have seen it plenty of times when he got lazy on defense. Like 99 said he jordan was possibly the best on ball defender in the league when he wanted to... but as he got older i personally saw less and less of it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
When you have one of the best teams organized ( talent wise) you are damn right they are gonna get some calls. That is why i do not b**** when the superstars of today get every call their way. Was just like that for the bulls for nearly a decade... the bulls have had their fair share of calls go their way.

It's not like Malone, Stockton, and Hornacek were just average players either. But yes, just like in baseball, if you're have a reputation of greatness, you are going to get it your way and rightfully so I suppose.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
Oh cmon now, the Bulls went 4-4 against the Jazz in the 97-98 season, they just won 4 of the 6 really important ones.

I could care less if the jazz swept them in the regular season as long as they won the ''important'' ones.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
I am saying he was the better one on one defender out of the two. Clearly neither were a slouch but i would give the edge to rodman. He would keep everyone off balance and would even let the passer get the ball into the man he was guarding countless times a game. I have never seen anything like it. I know i am not the only one with that train of thought.

Fair enough, but it's tough to judge when they both have different jobs.

Personally, I see Pippen as the better defender, especially the much more versatile one.

I hated rodman but appreciated his game. Pippen brought so much to the team with his versatility.