Switzerland

Togo

South Korea

Group H

Spain

Tunisia

Saudi Arabia

Uktraine

DBHAO your Aussies get Brazil. lin the group stage. Yikes.

Edited by southsideirish71

So, here's a question for you hard-core soccer fans- what's the best way for the average U.S. viewer (who, like me, is not really familiar with international soccer at all) to watch and appreciate the World Cup? I'd like to give it a chance.

Edited by Balance

U.S. is probably in the second hardest group. Ghana is no pushover and the Czechs are one of the top 5 teams in the world. Italy is not worthy of their one seed but in no means will that NOT be a hard game.

Groups G and H are pretty weak. Spain is a regular underachiever and France is not the same as the past two World Cups. Plus, the other Euro teams there, Ukraine and Switzerland are nothing to be afraid of.

But without a doubt group C is the hardest.

Most groups are up in the air with at least 1 of the two teams that will advance. It should be a good tourney.

This is the Czech Republics first time in the World Cup. It looks like they are an up and comer. Italy is probably still down from what you might expect from them but they are almost always considered a contender.

We seemed to play well against European style teams in 2002, whereas teams like South Korea really gave us alot of trouble. I expect Brazil in the final no matter who they play.

The US definitely got a tough draw. On raw talent, Italy is one of the top teams in the world, possibly the best in Europe. They never seem to play like it however, and part of that has to do with their team makeup. They are absolutely loaded with offensive weapons, especially at striker. Guilardino is a major force, a real rising star. Toni is similar. They also still have the grizzled veterans like Totti, Del Piero, Vieri, and the oft injured Inzaghi. All of those guys are top level guys, although the latter group is not as good as they once were. Regardless, they can score with the best of them. The other areas of their team are not as strong however. Although their midfield is decent, they don't have anywhere near the talent level of the strikers. They can sometimes have problems getting the ball into good positions for their elite strikers. Their defense is similar. They have some good players, especially Nesta, but they struggle at times, especially since their keeper isn't elite. The US is going to have to try to keep the ball out of their zone, because the Italians can finish with the best of them.

The other teams aren't exactly slouches either. The Czechs aren't as talented as Italy (or possibly even the Portugal team that we beat last time), but they have played very well of late. They scored the most goals of any team in the European qualifying. The experts seem to believe that they are a rising power in Europe, and they have some established club team veterans in Baros, Nedved, Rosicky, and Smicer. They will be a very tough matchup. Ghana isn't quite on the same talent level, but they do have one of the more gifted players in the world in Essien, which could make things interesting.

The draw could have been worse, however. The teams in our group are not unbeatable. The US would have had a very tough time beatin Brazil, Argentina, or the Netherlands, none of which are in our group, thankfully. However, the US will have to play well to make it out of this group. We are certainly not going to be a favorite to advance to the knockout stage.

We have played well against Italy. Just havent gotten the result that we would like. Ghana is a physically talented team that doesnt organize well. The Czechs should provide the hardest challenge in the group. The US just has to make sure they get a good presence in their attacking mid, someone who can distribute the ball to the strikers. In other words hopefully Donvan shows up. That and keep healthy. We did well in the last WC because we played attacking soccer. Put pressure on the opponent and score early.

Here is the schedule for Group E

Monday, June 12

at Gelsenkirchen: United States vs. Czech Republic

at Hanover: Italy vs. Ghana

Saturday, June 17

at Kaiserslautern: Italy vs. United States

at Cologne: Czech Republic vs. Ghana

Thursday, June 22

at Hamburg: Czech Republic vs. Italy

at Nuremberg: Ghana vs. United States

Group C is being listed as the GOD(Group of Death). Group E is the second hardest with a possible knockout round date with Brazil if you place second.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
So, here's a question for you hard-core soccer fans- what's the best way for the average U.S. viewer (who, like me, is not really familiar with international soccer at all) to watch and appreciate the World Cup?  I'd like to give it a chance.

The US games will all be on TV as will other games. I had a blast following the World Cup last time around and I'm excited for the upcoming cup. The key will be to stay up at odd hours (since there is the time zone difference).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
The US games will all be on TV as will other games. I had a blast following the World Cup last time around and I'm excited for the upcoming cup.  The key will be to stay up at odd hours (since there is the time zone difference).

It should be a lot easier to watch this time around. This is in Europe this time so pretty much it will be happening early/late afternoon for us.

The last one was in Asia and the US games started at like 3 and 4am.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
So, here's a question for you hard-core soccer fans- what's the best way for the average U.S. viewer (who, like me, is not really familiar with international soccer at all) to watch and appreciate the World Cup?  I'd like to give it a chance.

I was of the same mind as you prior to the 94 WC in the US. I wasn't a soccer fan at all, but I watched a good amount of that WC and I've been a growing soccer fan ever since.

First of all, it's definitly worth it and the World Cup is certainly the place to start watching soccer. The passion and intensity of every moment of every match is really awesome and it's surprisingly easy to get hooked for the whole tournament if the US does well or not (ie. the NCAA basketball tournament all March long).

Second, that being said, patience is still a virtue when it comes to soccer. In that sense, soccer faces a lot of the same criticism non-baseball fans use to rip baseball. There can seem, especially to a new eye (myself still largely included) long stretches where nothing of importance or excitement is happening. There are three suggestions I'll make here

- Have patience with yourself, as you learn more about history, strategy, talent, etc, you appreciate more and more of what you're watching (just like a baseball game)

- Watch the physical talent and skilled moves the players make, even when it seems neither side is all that close to scoring or making something "exciting" happen, the talent of world class pros is still very cool.

- Patience actually leads to one of the best aspects of soccer, esp. at the World Cup level, when there is a goal is scored, a great scoring chance stopped, a penalty shot stopped, a huge tackle, a red card, a big strategy change, a controversial call by the ref, the drama and excitement is unbelievable.

My final idea, get together with friends, especially if you know a person or two who are big soccer fans. Get together with some buds, get some good food and plenty of good beverages and treat it like any other popular "American" sporting event.

:usa

As an Englishman I'm pleased with that draw. They should finish in the top two quite easily.

That's a really tough draw for the US. Italy and the Czech Rep are two very, very good teams. The US will need to get something from the 1st game against the Czech Rep, and try to carry that momentum through the rest of the group.

Nice draw for DBAHO's boys - Brazil are head and shoulders above the rest, but Craotia and Japan are beatable - 2nd place isn't out of the question for Australia.

A quick note - The US games should start sometime between 10am and 3pm CT. The kick off times haven't been announced yet.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
As an Englishman I'm pleased with that draw. They should finish in the top two quite easily.

That's a really tough draw for the US. Italy and the Czech Rep are two very, very good teams. The US will need to get something from the 1st game against the Czech Rep, and try to carry that momentum through the rest of the group.

Nice draw for DBAHO's boys - Brazil are head and shoulders above the rest, but Craotia and Japan are beatable - 2nd place isn't out of the question for Australia.

A quick note - The US games should start sometime between 10am and 3pm CT. The kick off times haven't been announced yet.

The Czech Republic/US game should be entertaining. Two teams that playing attacking soccer.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
The Czech Republic/US game should be entertaining.  Two teams that playing attacking soccer.

I think you're right.

All the US games should be good ones, as they won't sit back and let these teams dominate. I'll definitely be watching them.

The US have the ability to score goals, it's just keeping out at the other end against these high class teams, that may be the problem.

I rate the Czech Republic highly - if their best players stay clear of injury and suspension, they could go a long way in this tournament. From an English point of view, they were a team I wanted no part of in this draw (along with Holland).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
The US games will all be on TV as will other games. I had a blast following the World Cup last time around and I'm excited for the upcoming cup.  The key will be to stay up at odd hours (since there is the time zone difference).

TiVo will also help, I think.

I remember watching some WC games in 1994, and I definitely want to see a few. Thanks for all the suggestions!

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)

Yeah if only we had you guys instead of Brazil, it would almost be perfect.

No way we'll beat Brazil, so we'll hav to pick up at least 4 points from the other 2 games to have a chance of qualifying. With Guus in charge (Man Utd. want him now), anything is possible still.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
Yeah if only we had you guys instead of Brazil, it would almost be perfect.

That would have been great.

A nice, easy chance to complete an historic hat trick - Rugby Union, Ashes and Football World Cup. (We left the Rugby League to the Kiwis..)

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Australia qualify - Croatia are nowhere near the force they were, and Japan are no great shakes, either.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
So Serbia is placed in Group C. Netherlands and Argetina will be tough opponents for sure. Ivory Coast?

Chelsea's Didier Drogba I guess doesnt mean too much to you.

From BBC.co.uk

Our verdict: The best of the African teams and stand a good chance of reaching the last eight.

Yeah they should be an easy mark for the Serbs

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
I rate the Czech Republic highly - if their best players stay clear of injury and suspension, they could go a long way in this tournament. From an English point of view, they were a team I wanted no part of in this draw (along with Holland).

Relatives of mine are worried about the Czech Republic's grouping. I'm not familar with soccer--at all, but they've assured me the 2nd round, against Brazil, will likely be the death of any team advancing from Group E.

Unfortunately for the US, my allegiance in mid June lies with the Czech's. :bringit :P

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Chelsea's Didier Drogba I guess doesnt mean too much to you.

From BBC.co.uk

Our verdict: The best of the African teams and stand a good chance of reaching the last eight.

Yeah they should be an easy mark for the Serbs

Never said they would be easy. I am not familiar with the country. Had no clue.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Relatives of mine are worried about the Czech Republic's grouping. I'm not familar with soccer--at all, but they've assured me the 2nd round, against Brazil, will likely be the death of any team advancing from Group E.

Unfortunately for the US, my allegiance in mid June lies with the Czech's.  :bringit  :P

The Czech's will be good no doubt about it, with Tomas Rosicky in the centre of midfield (probably top 5 in the world for his position) and man mountain Jan Koller up front with Milan Baros from Aston Villa.

Didn't they make the finals of the European Finals in 2004 losing to Greece (or was it the semi's)?