Damaso Marte could be headin to the Dodgers

JDsDirtySox

From the LA Times:

The Pirates have increased their efforts to trade for outfielder Milton Bradley, a source said. The Dodgers could get a left-handed reliever in return because the Pirates are overstocked after acquiring Damaso Marte from the Chicago White Sox. Left-hander Mike Gonzalez is expected to compete for the Pirate closer role and John Grabow is a top setup reliever

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
From the LA Times:

The Pirates have increased their efforts to trade for outfielder Milton Bradley, a source said. The Dodgers could get a left-handed reliever in return because the Pirates are overstocked after acquiring Damaso Marte from the Chicago White Sox. Left-hander Mike Gonzalez is expected to compete for the Pirate closer role and John Grabow is a top setup reliever

Screw that they should just let Marte be the closer.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Sounds like a good trade for both teams. The Dodgers need to rid themselves of Bradley while the Pirates need bats badly. I'd do it on both sides

For the Pirates, it makes perfect sense, they've been desperate for a good OF bat for a while now and Bradley would fit that role for them. I'm just afraid some people are going to start talking about how we could have gotten Bradley for Marte and how they would love such a trade for the Sox. Which would be a very bad idea.

From that snippet, it sounds like a Bradley for Marte deal is pure conjecture.

Thinking about the line Bradley would put up at U.S. Cellular makes me giddy, but he is such a headcase that pulling the trigger on a deal like that is risky. You don't really need to make a move like that with a team that just won the World Series, and is mainly intact.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
From that snippet, it sounds like a Bradley for Marte deal is pure conjecture.

Thinking about the line Bradley would put up at U.S. Cellular makes me giddy, but he is such a headcase that pulling the trigger on a deal like that is risky.  You don't really need to make a move like that with a team that just won the World Series, and is mainly intact.

yeah this isn't like A.J. Pierzynski who was deemed a "Clubhouse Cancer" in San Francisco. Milton Bradley has had troubles with the law before and was pretty much kicked off the Indians. Pierzynski never had those problems.

It should say something that his former manager Jim Tracy wants to get him back. All the stuff out here says that he's likely to go to Pittsburgh and that Jim Tracy wants him on his team.

I think that says that maybe Jeff Kent was more of the problem, but since we aren't a part of the clubhouse all we can do is speculate.

My dad would be pissed if Marte was a Dodger. He's forced to watch a lot of Sox games and always wondered why the hell we would continue to throw him out there late last year.

We have Young, Sweeney, Owens, & Anderson all scratching & clawing their way at a chance to play in the OF for the White Sox? Bradley is not a need for the WC CWS.

A starter who is a SB theat like Crawford is the only type of player that will unseat one of the young guys from playing for the White Sox next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I think that says that maybe Jeff Kent was more of the problem, but since we aren't a part of the clubhouse all we can do is speculate.

I think Kent is kind of a douche bag, but I doubt he was the reason Bradley was such a headcase with the Dodgers. Remember, the Indians couldn't get rid of him soon enough.

Bradley's a talented player who can put up some good numbers. But the only reason it would only take Marte to get him is the baggage that comes with him. And from all the stuff I've read on him, he ain't worth it. I was actually kind of hoping the Cubs were gonna be dumb enough to take him on.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I think Kent is kind of a douche bag, but I doubt he was the reason Bradley was such a headcase with the Dodgers.  Remember, the Indians couldn't get rid of him soon enough.

Bradley's a talented player who can put up some good numbers.  But the only reason it would only take Marte to get him is the baggage that comes with him.  And from all the stuff I've read on him, he ain't worth it.  I was actually kind of hoping the Cubs were gonna be dumb enough to take him on.

yeah these aren't clubhouse problems.

Bradley came up with the Expos. KW really wanted him when Cleveland acquired him. He seems to be a bad guy, but that's exactly what Everett appeared to be, and this guy has a ton more talent than Everett. It remains to be seen whether or not he can get his act together. If he can he can be a star. If he can't, he's going to cost managers and GMs their jobs.

I want nothing to do with Milton Bradley on the Sox. The guy is nothing but pure trouble, and I don't see any signs of it slowing down. The guy threw a bottle at a fan and has had the cops called numerous times to his house for domestic problems.

Personally, for pure comedic value, I hope he goes to the Cubs, that guy with Dusty Baker as his manager may likely have a complete mental breakdown

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Bradley came up with the Expos. KW really wanted him when Cleveland acquired him. He seems to be a bad guy, but that's exactly what Everett appeared to be, and this guy has a ton more talent than Everett. It remains to be seen whether or not he can get his act together. If he can he can be a star. If he can't, he's going to cost managers and GMs their jobs.

yes but Everett didn't have the kind of trouble with the law that Bradley has. Plus he had matured when he was with Texas.

From the LA Times:

with the crappy FA market and the relative value of marte (he could be pretty valuable to a cellar sweller like the p-rats, i would think they could get more. bradley is a bum, anyway.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Bradley is good for certain teams. He would be good for the Cubs because it seems like guys in their clubhouse don't really care about winning. They seem to go around acting casual about everything. They need someone who would call someone out when they're not doing their job.

For some reason I find it hard to believe that a guy like Bradley would be a positive influence in any clubhouse. It wouldn't surprise me if he called someone out. It also wouldn't surprise me if he did it through the press or on the field. And it definitely wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs would be looking for a way to dump his ass by midseason just to get rid of the disruption.

Carl Everett was just a little nutty. Milton Bradley is a giant asshole. Its not a real accurate comparison.