Democrats upset with Lieberman

NUKE_CLEVELAND

From Think Progress

On Wednesday, Sen. Joe Lieberman argued that anyone who questions President Bush's credibility while the country is at war puts the nation in danger. Lieberman, 12/7/05:

It's time for Democrats who distrust President Bush to acknowledge that he will be the commander in chief for three more critical years and that in matters of war we undermine presidential credibility at our nation's peril.

But when he was running for President, Lieberman directly questioned Bush's credibility on the war. In fact, he argued that doing so was an essential part of our democracy. Lieberman, 7/28/03:

In our democracy, a president does not rule, he governs. He remains always answerable to us, the people. And right now, the president's conduct of our foreign policy is giving the country too many reasons to question his leadership. It's not just about 16 words in a speech, it is about distorting intelligence and diminishing credibility. It's not about searching for scapegoats; it's about seeing, as President Kennedy did after the Bay of Pigs, that presidents stand tall when they willingly accept responsibility for mistakes made while they are in charge. [Press Conference with Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) Re: War in Iraq, 7/28/03]

When he was running for President, Lieberman questioned Bush's credibility on the war because that's what he needed to do to get votes. Now, after his campaign flopped, he is attacking people who question Bush's credibility on the war because that's what he needs to do to get attention.

For Lieberman, this is about political opportunism, not principle.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
You guys can have Jomentum, we don't need him.  How about we swap him for McCain?

I don't care for Liebermann a whole lot because of his very conservative views on media and stuff like video games. He should leave that s*** to Tipper. I am a registered Demo but I'd vote for McCain over Lieberman. THat'd be an interesting campaign given that its two guys who are better liked by the opposing bases

The Democratic-ness or Republican-ness of the person in question is irrelevant. Haven't we all figured that out by now? A politician in either camp has one agenda first and foremost-- their own personal gain. Why some people continue to think that "their team" whether that be Rep. or Dem, gives a rat's ass about what's best for the country is mind-boggling to me. Arguing over whether Dems or Reps are the better collective is ridiculous -- they both suck.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Joe Lieberman is angling to be the "bipartisan" filler in the Bush cabinet. The party may very well fire up a primary challenger against him this year. As well they should, he's a DLC guy - and that's not the future of this party anymore.

What, may I ask, IS the future of the Democratic party? If its the Dean wing of the party then the Republicans are going to be in charge for a VERY long time.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
not........since they keep losing every election.

Actually polls year in and year out say that Americans are for keeping the environment safe, for the continuance of Roe v. Wade, etc. etc. etc.

It is mere paltry political manipulation and total devious hackery (I contend Saxby Chambliss's ads that he ran showing his Democratic opponent and Vietnam vet next to OBL and Saddam as being Evidence #1) Or Hell, we can talk about how the Bush campaign ran push polling saying that McCain had an illegitimate black child out of wedlock in southern states...

When you change the election from issues of national security to "OMG! We gots to stop the f**s from getting married!" to play the Christian right like a cheap fiddle, it is no wonder that Bush Co. won. Cheap statements that nobody can be against like "Support the troops" merely stop any actual questioning of state policy (not to mention the insane "You're either for us or against us" pap).

Democratic approval ratings are almost as low as the Republicans (which at last check by me were hovering around 30%ish) because they both don't meet the demands of the public. The prominent conservatives (the Santorums, the Bushes etc.) are essentially "f*** the poor and let's keep the uneven playing field." Now that is not to say that all conservatives think that way, just the vast majority that get elected to be their voice in Congress. Many of the Democrats are not liberal enough for their constituents because the corporate media slime machine will smear the Hell out of anybody who dares to cut into the corporate welfare program going on.

Not the ones who stay true to their roots.

Look at Bernie Sanders. The guy is so liberal, he won't even join the Democratic Party. He won his 2004 election by 40 points.

Look at Barbara Boxer. She got more votes than anyone else in the country besides Bush and Kerry last year.

Look at Brian Schweitzer in Montana. Paul Hackett in Ohio - who almost won a seat in one of the most Republican districts in the state. Look at Barney Frank. Look at Debbie Stabenow, Jennifer Granholm, Frank Lautenberg, Jon Corzine, Frank Pallone, Rush Holt, the new Governor of Virginia - Kaine, Chuck Schumer, Carl Levin, Ted Kennedy. The list goes on.

There are plenty of genuine liberal politicians who win convincingly every time.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
Not the ones who stay true to their roots.

Look at Bernie Sanders. The guy is so liberal, he won't even join the Democratic Party. He won his 2004 election by 40 points.

Look at Barbara Boxer. She got more votes than anyone else in the country besides Bush and Kerry last year.

Look at Brian Schweitzer in Montana. Paul Hackett in Ohio - who almost won a seat in one of the most Republican districts in the state. Look at Barney Frank. Look at Debbie Stabenow, Jennifer Granholm, Frank Lautenberg, Jon Corzine, Frank Pallone, Rush Holt, the new Governor of Virginia - Kaine, Chuck Schumer, Carl Levin, Ted Kennedy. The list goes on.

There are plenty of genuine liberal politicians who win convincingly every time.

Come on. Look at where these people are from. A Republican has as a snowballs chance in hell of winning those districts.

True but its been competitive. The Republican party is hurt in Michigan for a lack of a deep bench. Even though they have a majority in the house and senate. When it gets beyond the state level, they can't really go anywhere. Last year, Jon-Benet Ramsey's dad ran for the Republican nomination for Congress in Northern Michigan. And the dude that fell in the fire during Survivor was almost the Republican nominee for Senator or Governor. They actually though his 15 seconds of reality tv fame would make him a good candidate.

Virginia has been tough for the Dems to get lately too but they seem to have a serious strategy for turning a few of these swing states bluer (Virginia, NJ, Michigan, Ohio to start.)

Lieberman can take a long walk off a short pier if you ask me.

I was thinking about the 2000 election earlier today. Gore somewhat was put into a lose, lose situation. He could pick a Clinton supporter and anger some moderates or pick a Clinton basher and anger his base. He choose the latter, many Dems voted for Nader in digust and the rest as they say is history.

didnt Al Sharpton even stay in the 2004 race longer than Lieberman? both he and kucinich got more delegate votes at the convention.