DVD Burning

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
I have DVD clone, and I copied the dvds but cant seem to get them to play on my player, what am I missing?

Probably a player that can read DVD-R or DVD+R. If you have an older player, it won't read the discs. Any new player will be able to read it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Ah, I think it just didnt work in my PS2, could that be the issue?

Eh, I don't know anything about game systems. But I think all PS2's should be able to handle a burn. Check into it. It may also be as simple as the brand of media you are using.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Eh, I don't know anything about game systems. But I think all PS2's should be able to handle a burn. Check into it. It may also be as simple as the brand of media you are using.

I dunno, I wouldnt think it was my burning software as it was highly regarded in serveral reviews. I will try in on my other DVD players and find out if that is the issue.

So while this thread is being kicked around - if I read that one article right, you can compress down to where the DVD's will fit to one burned DVD? Most "old" dvd burner programs didn't give that option. If that is the case, do you all think that the quality goes down enough to not do that?

Thoughts, please?

DVDShrink works best for me. You can take out all the unnecessary stuff like French, Spanish and other subtitles if you like from the VIDEO_TS folder. It does compress it down, but I have not seen any loss of quality. It also has a built-in Nero Burning Engine. Other burning softwares I have used in the past have split the movies into two DVDs.

Like robin said, it depends what is on the DVD. Some contain tons of extras and audio tracks that you can just leave out and get a very high quality movie burned onto a DVD-R.

In my experience making legal backups of episode DVDs, they are usually of relatively poor quality already and should not be compressed too much. Usually you can make a preview video of some kind to see what kind of quality you will be getting.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
DVDShrink works best for me.  You can take out all the unnecessary stuff like French, Spanish and other subtitles if you like from the VIDEO_TS folder.  It does compress it down, but I have not seen any loss of quality.  It also has a built-in Nero Burning Engine.  Other burning softwares I have used in the past have split the movies into two DVDs.

Me too (Split into two dvd's). And I hate that.

I'll have to check into that.

Thanks for the tip. And you too DK.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
So while this thread is being kicked around - if I read that one article right, you can compress down to where the DVD's will fit to one burned DVD?  Most "old" dvd burner programs didn't give that option.  If that is the case, do you all think that the quality goes down enough to not do that?

Thoughts, please?

Someonw I know uses Nero and it works great. I have seen the quality knocked down to like 70% and I can't tell the difference. I guess you usually don't have to worry about quality at all if you remove all the extras though. They usually hog up all the space. AnyDVD rips the licensing stuff.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
So while this thread is being kicked around - if I read that one article right, you can compress down to where the DVD's will fit to one burned DVD?  Most "old" dvd burner programs didn't give that option.  If that is the case, do you all think that the quality goes down enough to not do that?

Thoughts, please?

Mine compresses it. Typically it just means that if its a widescreen the image gets compressed a bit. I don't really notice any difference in clarity though.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)

Thoughts, please?

I'll let you know when I get my DVD's of all 4 World Series games done. I have a friend that is working on them for me. He has already copied them from my DVR to his hard drive and edited out the commercials in all of the games. In the next week or two he will compress them to make them fit on a DVD. He uses dual layer DVD's for added space, I think.

Most of this is above my head, but he is doing it for me as a favor and as a test for him. It may take two DVD's for Game 3, even without the commercials.

I'll let you know what the quality looks like.