DVD Burning

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
Curious as to what type of media you guys use:

For me, I just stick to TY (Taiyo Yuden) and Verbatim for top quality burns.

I haven't seen TY anywhere, then again I haven't looked for it. Memorex doesn't work so well on my DVD players(Magnavox and a Samsung) so I use Sony and they work great. Two things Sony isn't overrated in: Computers & Blank CD's/DVD's. I use Memorex for blank cd's, however, since they're usually cheaper and great quality.

You'll be happy to know that the same company makes almost all of them, no matter what the name on the package says. Just thought I'd share this.

And they all have bad sectors of discs every now and again. I had damn near a whole package one time that was bad. Pissed me off. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
You'll be happy to know that the same company makes almost all of them, no matter what the name on the package says.  Just thought I'd share this.

And they all have bad sectors of discs every now and again.  I had damn near a whole package one time that was bad.  Pissed me off.  :lol:

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Sorry Kap.

Yuden makes a ton of discs, including their own brand, Sonys, some Fuji's and others, but there are tons of different companies who manufacture discs.

DVD geeks like myself use a program called DVD Identifier which will tell you who exactly manufactures the disc upon putting it in your drive.

Here is a good list of media codes, along with manufacturers.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

As you can see, a lot of different media out there with a lot of different manufacturers. A lot of it has to do with the dye that is used on the bottom of the disc. Some of these el cheapo discs are guaranteed to have a high coaster (bad disc) rate.

I tend to stick to mostly anything that is Yuden or Mitsubishi made. Generally you'll just find Yuden's online at sites like supermediastore.com. Any Made in Japan Sony Discs are usually Yuden along with Made in Japan Fuji Film. Stay away from anything that is not Made in Japan. Made in Taiwans are pretty much crap.

Store brands are all pretty much crap media, except Office Depot, who has their media made by Ritek. Anything else, compusa brand, staples brand, office max brand, complete crap.

Some Maxell is good (depends if its Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan), Memorex, as a rule, is pretty much crap. I've had several bad spindles from them before I "saw the light" so to speak.

Over 1000 burns to date using Yuden media, with not a coaster to report.

Stick to the good stuff.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
I haven't seen TY anywhere, then again I haven't looked for it. Memorex doesn't work so well on my DVD players(Magnavox and a Samsung) so I use Sony and they work great. Two things Sony isn't overrated in: Computers & Blank CD's/DVD's. I use Memorex for blank cd's, however, since they're usually cheaper and great quality.

Memorex is crap.

I wouldn't use it for anything other than backing up pictures or mp3 files.

Anything I wanted to play in a DVD player or CD player I would never put on a Memorex disc. Usually made by CMC Magnetics which is a crap company.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Memorex is crap.

Anything I wanted to play in a DVD player or CD player I would never put on a Memorex disc.  Usually made by CMC Magnetics which is a crap company.

Is Imation any good? I have 200 of those.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Memorex is crap.

Anything I wanted to play in a DVD player or CD player I would never put on a Memorex disc.  Usually made by CMC Magnetics which is a crap company.

Well coming from someone like you who knows their cd's I am surprised to see the comments on memorex. Did you have bad experiences with memorex because like I said, I've been using them for years and some of the first cd's I burned are working great.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Is Imation any good? I have 200 of those.

I guess this a question aboz can answer, but from my experiences those cd's peal off quick. My friend let me borrow a bunch of his cd's and they would just peal right off. I don't know if he didn't take care of them, but I haven't been impressed.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
Well coming from someone like you who knows their cd's I am surprised to see the comments on memorex. Did you have bad experiences with memorex because like I said, I've been using them for years and some of the first cd's I burned are working great.

Try burning on a Memorex DVD and then actually getting it to play in a stand alone DVD player.

I've done it and the playback issues are just terrible. Tons of skipping, freezing, etc.

I bet out of a 50 spindle, I had 20 bad ones the last time I tried them.

If you can get away with it and get it to work, that's great, but I would say for cheaper you can get Verbatims and Yuden's and know you are getting top quality media.

Like I said, I've never had a Yuden bad disc, even with about 1000 burns to date.

Http://www.supermediastore.com

Read their reviews and what not.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
Try burning on a Memorex DVD and then actually getting it to play in a stand alone DVD player.

I've done it and the playback issues are just terrible.  Tons of skipping, freezing, etc.

I bet out of a 50 spindle, I had 20 bad ones the last time I tried them.

If you can get away with it and get it to work, that's great, but I would say for cheaper you can get Verbatims and Yuden's and know you are getting top quality media.

Like I said, I've never had a Yuden bad disc, even with about 1000 burns to date.

Http://www.supermediastore.com

Read their reviews and what not.

I started with a Memorex 25 pack when I first got my burner and if they didn't work out I was going to try something different. approx 200 discs later I'm still using memorex... If Yudens' are suppose to be better and they're cheaper...I'm willing to give em a shot. Do they come in +R?

More on DVD media quality:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Chaos, if you are looking for some +R Yuden, here is a great link for you:

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...us-r-media.html

Although I will say you can get -R a lot cheaper and I think they are just as good.

Just curious as to why you prefer +R over -R. Is it your burner?

These are what I use for the most part. Some of these will allow you to burn at 8x, but I never burn above 4X anyhow.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...e-spindles.html

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
More on DVD media quality:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Chaos, if you are looking for some +R Yuden, here is a great link for you:

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...us-r-media.html

Although I will say you can get -R a lot cheaper and I think they are just as good.

Just curious as to why you prefer +R over -R.  Is it your burner?

These are what I use for the most part.  Some of these will allow you to burn at 8x, but I never burn above 4X anyhow.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...e-spindles.html

My burner is +R, thats the only reason. I always burn at 8x, my friend told me when I first started burning to only burn at 4x, but I tried 8x and it worked fine so just like DVD brand, I never changed. Why fix what isn't broken.

If yuden is cheaper, I'm willing to give them a shot cause you said they're good quality. I know Fry's always has DVDs on sale for dirt cheap, but I never tried them cause I figured they wouldn't work as well. The brand is GQ....which I think is their own knockoff brand. The only thing I buy of that brand is their 8x10 photo paper. It's .99 cents for 20 sheets. and works great for movie covers. I would never use it for pictures though.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
My burner is +R, thats the only reason.  I always burn at 8x, my friend told me when I first started burning to only burn at 4x, but I tried 8x and it worked fine so just like DVD brand, I never changed.  Why fix what isn't broken. 

If yuden is cheaper, I'm willing to give them a shot cause you said they're good quality.  I know Fry's always has DVDs on sale for dirt cheap, but I never tried them cause I figured they wouldn't work as well.  The brand is GQ....which I think is their own knockoff brand.  The only thing I buy of that brand is their 8x10 photo paper.  It's .99 cents for 20 sheets.  and works great for movie covers.  I would never use it for pictures though.

Only reason I burn slow is you get less chance of a coaster from burning slower.

I'm not mass producing or anything, so I can wait 14 minutes to burn at 4x.

As far as store branded media goes, I wouldn't ever touch that stuff.

Reading that DVD link I posted in my last post should give a pretty good idea as to what you can expect to be quality media and what you can expect not to be quality media.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
This is a good thread.  Thanks a bunch for the info, everybody!

I love this kind of stuff.

I agree, great thread, hope to see it stick around and if anyone ever has any questions on burning and what not, I'd be glad to be of any assistance.