Anyone catch that Hawks overtime win?

jenksd

I don't watch a lot of hockey, but I flipped on Comcast to see if they had Bears post game stuff and caught overtime and the shootout. Those last 40 seconds of OT the Thrashers goalie was amazing and the way the shootout started I thought it was over for the Hawks but they pulled it out. The shootout now is probably one of the most exciting things in sports I think.

It was good to finally win a shootout.

And yeah Tony the shootout isn't awesome, but we all knew it was going to be here after the lockout. At least it doesn't take away a point from either side, it just makes sure someone gets the W. So i just live with it and enjoy some of the nasty breakaway moves these guys have.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
I watched about half of the Bears game, and half of the Hawks game.

I really dont like the shootout. For me, it just throws out what each team did the last 65 min, and it comes down to 5 or 6 breakaways. Its exciting, but just really isnt justice to me when there is a good 1-1 game going on.

I agree with this.

The announcers on Sportscenter are always saying, "the most exciting event in hockey, the shootout".

Hell no.

A breakaway, when in the context of the game, is a very exciting play. But doing it to finish a game is like having a slam dunk contest in the NBA to decide the game.

I'll take a heart-pounding, 5v5 OT over a shootout anyday. That's why playoff hockey is the best.

Guys, again, Duncan Keith was outstanding and basically saved the game for the Hawks. He is a stud and has had more impact on his team in the last 5 games than Ovechkin and Crosby. Keith has logged more than 25 minutes in his last 4 games and is really coming into his own. Too bad we have no offensive talent otherwise this team may be a playoff team.

General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the Blackhawks have recalled defenseman Michal Barinka from the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League. Defenseman Todd Simpson, who injured his lower leg on Sunday in Atlanta, has returned home to Chicago for further examination.

Barinka, 21, has been playing for the Norfolk in the AHL where he appeared in 25 games scoring 1 goal and adding 6 assists for 7 points with 48 penalty minutes. This will be the second time Barinka has been recalled by the Blackhawks. He appeared in 9 games for the Blackhawks in the 2003-04 season and had 1 assist and 6 penalty minutes.

Barinka was the Blackhawks’ 2nd round pick (59th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. Last season, Barinka played at Norfolk appearing in 59 games scoring 1 goal and 10 assists for 11 points with 77 penalty minutes.

Todd Simpson returned to Chicago on Monday afternoon after injuring his lower leg in Sunday’s game against the Thrashers in Atlanta. He will be evaluated by team doctors later this week.

The Thrasher game was really exciting to watch.... anyone who saq Kovalchuk bat the puck out of mid air... from behind the goal line... witnessed the goal of the year... the kid is an unbelievable talent.

The Shoot out was dissapointing from the standpoint that.... the moves werent all that spectacular... Garnett (former wolves goalie) isnt really anything special... he's an AHLer playing in the NHL IMO.... he got beat on some bad moves... the thrashers forwards shelved a couple on Bulin that were pretty solid.... bu hey...hawks won

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
Babchuk was brutal tonight for the Hawks

He and Barnika were just awful, although, the forwards sucked as well. When you have scoring opportunities, especially on the road, you have got to bury them. Up 2-0 and losing 5-2 is a negative reflection on our "superstar" goalie who is making a truckload. They need to pick it up.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
Also, he could have poke checked on that breakaway goal...and i was actually thinking this as the play happened. It was so obvious that he should have done that. Would have been an easy play i think.

I said that to my dad as it was happening, "Dad, poke check and get the puck back up ice." No sooner was it in the back of the net. Ugh, what the hell did we pay him so much for, so far he's a disappointment. Put in Andy :D