Heat coach Van Gundy resigns

MIAMI -- Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy is resigning today, citing personal family reasons.

A team official spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hasn't been revealed publicly. The source told The Associated Press that Van Gundy's decision would be announced later this morning.

Van Gundy led the team to the best record in the Eastern Conference a season ago.

It's not clear who would replace him, but there are indications that former Heat coach Pat Riley could return to the sideline. Riley named Van Gundy as his successor a little more than two years ago.

The Heat are 11-10 this season. Shaquille O'Neal returned Sunday night in an OT win against the Wizards after missing 18 games with a sprained ankle.

Miami leads the Southeast Division by two games over Orlando and Washington.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2256435

Eh, Im not surprised. The Heat are good, but they should have been great for the past two years. I am sure Riley has been fidgeting in his office for a while now, and finally the pressure has gotten to Van Gundy. I think that Ron Jeremy will find another job soon enough, maybe with Brother Combover in Houston.

Interesting thing is IMO the Heat win the Championship last year if Wade doesn't get hurt late in game 5 of the East Finals against Detroit. The Heat up 3-2 with a healthy Wade wouldn't have lost that series. Also remember in '03-'04, he helped develop a VERY young team (with no Shaq) that started 0-9 into a playoff team that made the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Van Gundy is a good coach (best in his family) and he was a victim of a setup and Pat Riley's ego. Sad to see.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Interesting thing is IMO the Heat win the Championship last year if Wade doesn't get hurt late in game 5 of the East Finals against Detroit.  The Heat up 3-2 with a healthy Wade wouldn't have lost that series.  Also remember in '03-'04, he helped develop a VERY young team (with no Shaq) that started 0-9 into a playoff team that made the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Van Gundy is a good coach (best in his family) and he was a victim of a setup and Pat Riley's ego.  Sad to see.

I dont know if I agree with this. the Pistons were no joke last year. Noone knows how those conference finals would have ended up. But I do agree that a healthy Dwayne Wade would have put the Heat in a much better situation to win, no doubt.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
I dont know if I agree with this.  the Pistons were no joke last year. Noone knows how those conference finals would have ended up.  But I do agree that a healthy Dwayne Wade would have put the Heat in a much better situation to win, no doubt.

Oh the Pistons had a great team, I agree. And they might have still won with Wade healthy, but the Heat had a 3-2 lead with Wade healthy, and I think they win with him not getting hurt.

At any rate, I was moreso trying to make my point that Stan got a raw deal. He is probably my 2nd favorite NBA coach right now (although I guess he's no longer a coach, haha) behind Skiles (obviously). I think he really got a raw deal, this was a setup by Riley to bring himself back from the start and this is not surprising.

Stan said it was all due to family reasons. He wants to spend time with his family, not have to travel all the time. He said Pat tried to convince him to stay.

Pat Riley will take over as head coach. The press conference is on ESPN right now.

I don't know if Stan is just saying what he's saying or if its the truth, but Stan is one of the better coaches in the NBA. Now we see what Riley has left in him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Stan said it was all due to family reasons.  He wants to spend time with his family, not have to travel all the time.  He said Pat tried to convince him to stay.

Pat Riley will take over as head coach.  The press conference is on ESPN right now. 

I don't know if Stan is just saying what he's saying or if its the truth, but Stan is one of the better coaches in the NBA.  Now we see what Riley has left in him.

I liked Stan Van Gundy but I have to admit I am excited to see what Riley can do.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe a word of Van Gundy's "I love my family" defense. I just don't. If you had predicted the exact second that you first heard Pat Riley might want to coach again that he would wind up with that job within a year, you'd have been 100% right.

He may not have been forced out, but he has to be out because of Riley. That's the only part that makes sense to me.

As a Heat fan, I absolutely HATE this. Stan is such a great guy, I truly hope he wasn't forced out. HE was the reason for the Heat's resurgance after 0-9, and HE's the reason guys want to play for the Heat again. Nobody wants to go through Pat Riley's practices, especially Shaq. This absolutely sucks, the Heat's scores will be back in the 80s/low 90s, yipee.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Oh yeah, because who the hell would want to spend more time with their family? That crazy bastard!

It was heavily speculated before the season that Riley would at some point become the coach. A month ago, Van Gundy was going on and on about how he loved his job and didn't want to go anywhere. Now he wants out to spend more time with his family? Not buyin it. And I guarantee you he'll be back coaching some team in the near future.