One horrific act, followed by 30 years of "good"..

Steff

= a slap on the hand. :headshake

That judge is an idiot.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/13375720.htm

Child-molesting priest gets probation

By THERESA CONROY

[email protected]

The sins of the father were forgiven - and almost forgotten - yesterday.

The Rev. James Behan, the area's only Catholic priest convicted in the church's sex scandal, had faced up to 25 years in a state penitentiary for repeatedly abusing a North Catholic High School student for two years in the late 1970s.

He was sentenced to just 12 years' probation.

The prosecutor asked that the molesting priest be sent to prison for 11 to 22 years. The defense attorney wanted him set free to return to his duties of changing "soiled diapers" and cleaning bathrooms for elderly priests.

The family of victim Martin Donohoe accused the judge of basing her ruling on emotion, not law.

District Attorney Lynne Abraham said she was "appalled and disappointed" by the light sentence.

"This is a sad day for Mr. Donohoe and for all victims of sexual abuse," Abraham said in a statement.

Common Pleas Judge Pamela Dembe - who cried openly during the hearing - apologized several times because, "I cannot tell you I am doing the right thing."

She explained that she determined the priest's punishment by weighing the bad he did against the good. The good won out.

"Where I get stuck in this case is that I don't know how to balance one very terrible violation... against 30 years that followed," Dembe said.

"At the bottom, it comes down to, on the one hand, a man who has done something terrible... against someone who is universally described as gentle, humorous, humble, thoughtful, Godly, attentive," she said.

Dembe said she had read more than 325 letters written by supporters who cited example after example of compassionate, good works performed by Behan in the years since he abused 15-year-old Donohoe.

Many of the priest's supporters, former parishioners from Wilmington, N.C., rode through a snowstorm to attend the hearing.

Some of them also wept throughout the proceeding.

Several addressed the judge by listing ways Behan had supported them during family deaths, miscarriages, illnesses, divorces and parenting problems. One woman said he even guided her back to the church.

They all begged for leniency.

"He touched many lives in a positive way," former parishioner Carol Cholette reasoned.

But he touched one life in a horrifying way.

In a moving statement, Donohoe, now 42, detailed the gut-wrenching effects Behan's abuse has had on his life.

"As a result of Jim Behan's abuse of me, I put up an invisible barrier with my nieces and nephews," he said. "I wanted to prove that I'm not a child molester due to my own molestation.

"This is how I am with teens and kids: stern, strict," he continued. "I am severely inhibited regarding my own sexuality. I wanted to become a priest at one time in my life... then I entered North Catholic High School and my optimism was shattered."

Still, Donohoe was able to forgive Behan.

"I just hope that someday you're going to have a new life and this is starting new now, and I wish you the best and I have to tell you something: I do forgive you for what you admitted here," he said. "I do forgive you."

Behan, 60, and a member of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, pleaded guilty in February to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and corrupting the morals of a minor. He admitted to performing oral sex on Donohoe inside his rectory and abusing him inside a Germantown church.

Yesterday, the sex offender turned to face his victim and - finally - apologized.

"I say it to Marty today, and I say it daily before the Lord as I pray for Marty: I am sorry," Behan said.

Donohoe was too upset to talk to reporters after the sentencing, but his brother, Gene Donohoe, delivered the family's blunt message:

"I think the judge ruled with her heart and not by the law," he said. "We're surprised by the decision."

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
That is why the states need to adapt the Federal criminal punishment guidelines and takes out judicial discretion and mandates prison terms like this case was a Class A felony which means the perp would have served a term of no less than 11 years and no more than 22 years.

For every judge who does a stupid thing because of mandatory sentencing guidelines, there are other judges who are prevented from doing the proper thing because of overly stringent mandatory punishment guidelines. In a lot of cases, it should depend on the crime that was convicted, but I still think there should be a decent amount of discretion in the hands of judges. If you just watch, within a few months, we're almost guaranteed to see a perfect counterexample posted here...someone who goes to prison for 20 years over stealing some acorns from a squirrel or something like that.

Common Pleas Judge Pamela Dembe - who cried openly during the hearing - apologized several times because, "I cannot tell you I am doing the right thing."

Disgusting. This poor excuse for a priest, should be de-frocked, ex-communicated, and sent to prison for a long long time.

Pedophiles cannot be redeemed. This creature will do these acts again. Sentencing guidelines need to be adhered to. An animal is back out to hurt children again.

And the people who support this freak.

Remember your priest is a swell guy and all, but he is a criminal.

Gacy was a clown.

Bundy was a nice young man.

Michael Jackson is an entertainer.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
That judge deserves to be fired... and thats all im going to say.

I agree. The Judge couldnt even come to terms with the "punishment" that she gave to the priest. this guy is scarred for life, and the priest gets to go back to his regular life. There was really no justice served in this case.

I guess it all comes down to reformation for that judge. If the purpose of our prison system is to reform a person, and we assume that this was the only instance, no other victims came forward, then the man is probably no longer a threat.

I am surprised that this was the only victim. I hope he isn't pointed to as an example that abusers and pedophiles can be rehabilitated.

I hope every day for those 30 years he dreaded the day this would become public. I hope he sweated every time an accused pedophile was made public, I hope his nights were haunted by the abuse he dealt that young man. I hope he built a personal hell far worse than what the justice system would have wrought.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Ha.  A pedophile priest can't be reformed, but Tookie Williams can (and had been per some).

Ha Ha, YAS doesn't know the difference between murder and pedophilia. It has been shown over and over again that sex related criminals are much more difficult to rehabilitate than murders. Many researchers point to the sex drive as being "hard wired" into humans. People who engage in pedophilia are especially difficult to rehabilitate.

:lolhitting nice try Yas. Keep pushing those buttons.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
Ha Ha, YAS doesn't know the difference between murder and pedophilia. It has been shown over and over again that sex related criminals are much more difficult to rehabilitate than murders. Many researchers point to the sex drive as being "hard wired" into humans. People who engage in pedophilia are especially difficult to rehabilitate.

Liberals. :headshake

May I interrupt to point out that the 34 year old sex offender in this particular case was not a pedophile according to all the evidence available in the news articles?

My understanding is that there is a very big difference between adults who fixate on and abuse prepubescent children and those who abuse adolescents. The former have an extremely poor prognosis, while the latter may have a far better chance for a meaningful cure.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
May I interrupt to point out that the 34 year old sex offender in this particular case was not a pedophile according to all the evidence available in the news articles?

My understanding is that there is a very big difference between adults who fixate on and abuse prepubescent children and those who abuse adolescents.  The former have an extremely poor prognosis, while the latter may have a far better chance for a meaningful cure.

I completely disagree with this.

A pedophile is someone who molests children. If a person is underage then they are a minor and are protected the same as any child. Do you know that some pedophiles use the fact that if the 9 year old has breasts and has a period that she is a woman. Some other pedophiles fixate on the prepubescent look and look at smaller children. Either way they are both wrong. Some 12/13 year olds look like 18 year olds because they develop early. They should be afforded the same protection as the 12 year old that looks like a 12 year old. Because emotionally they are still a 12 year old. If you are attracted to children then you are out of touch with the rest of society and shouldnt be around children.

Not that I'm saying anything about the case - this kid was molested and the dude ought to be in prison - regardless about how old the kid was. The kid was harmed by what happened to him and the priest ought to be punished, severely.

But let's have a little perspective. In a lot of states the age of consent is 16. If someone dates a person that's 15 years and 364 days - does that make them anymore of a pedophile then if they date someone one day over that invisible line?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Not that I'm saying anything about the case - this kid was molested and the dude ought to be in prison - regardless about how old the kid was. The kid was harmed by what happened to him and the priest ought to be punished, severely.

But let's have a little perspective. In a lot of states the age of consent is 16. If someone dates a person that's 15 years and 364 days - does that make them anymore of a pedophile then if they date someone one day over that invisible line?

Oh s***. Here we go .....

Be back later folks. I've had enough excitement for one day.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)

The age of consent should be at the minimum 17 but I think 18.

The age of consent for a lot of items has to be enforced to the letter of the law. I think the sicko who wants to date the 16 year old can wait the one day to molest(I mean date) the 16 year old. If you start to open up the grey areas then how far do you go.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)

The problem is that you have to draw that line somewhere. At some point, there is going to a spot where it is illegal one day, OK the next, no matter where you draw that line. I am sure you aren't saying that there is no need for child sex laws, but for there to be no arbitrary line, there basically could be no child sex laws. Either that or someone would have to come up with a set of standards that would be quizzed of everyone as to their mental capacity and their ability to be "mature"enough to handle sex... And I don't really think we want that either.

Yeah, cause I'm 28 and I'd still fail the test. :-P

I agree we have to draw the line somewhere, and I personally think 18 is a good line to draw. But I think that we need some perspective when we take a look at acts of abuse against minors. There's a big difference between relationships with 17 year olds and relationships with pre-teens. Both are Wrong with a capital W. But I think there's a degree of severity there that everyone should take into consideration.

By the way - that priest should be spending a long long time in prison. Perhaps earning the nickname "Poundcake."