One horrific act, followed by 30 years of "good"..

Steff

Yeah, cause I'm 28 and I'd still fail the test. :-P

I agree we have to draw the line somewhere, and I personally think 18 is a good line to draw. But I think that we need some perspective when we take a look at acts of abuse against minors. There's a big difference between relationships with 17 year olds and relationships with pre-teens. Both are Wrong with a capital W. But I think there's a degree of severity there that everyone should take into consideration.

By the way - that priest should be spending a long long time in prison. Perhaps earning the nickname "Poundcake."

You believe that no one in this country should have sex until they are 18 years old? The age of consent should be 18 in all states?

And could you state what you mean by becoming "poundcake" as an appropriate punishment? The specific words for the specific acts.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Yeah, cause I'm 28 and I'd still fail the test. :-P

I agree we have to draw the line somewhere, and I personally think 18 is a good line to draw. But I think that we need some perspective when we take a look at acts of abuse against minors. There's a big difference between relationships with 17 year olds and relationships with pre-teens. Both are Wrong with a capital W. But I think there's a degree of severity there that everyone should take into consideration.

By the way - that priest should be spending a long long time in prison. Perhaps earning the nickname "Poundcake."

Was I breaking the law when I turned 18 and was having sex with my girlfriend who was 6 months younger than me?

Seriously, I've always wondered about that. Her parents really didn't like me much at the time and we wondered if they could get me in trouble if they wanted to be nasty.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
And could you state what you mean by becoming "poundcake" as an appropriate punishment?  The specific words for the specific acts.

I can help...

first you'll need whole wheat flour.

a dozen eggs.

a cactus.

the cake part is just a metaphor for the man layers.

:ph34r:

I completely disagree with this.

A pedophile is someone who molests children.  If a person is underage then they are a minor and are protected the same as any child.  Do you know that some pedophiles use the fact that if the 9 year old has breasts and has a period that she is a woman.  Some other pedophiles fixate on the prepubescent look and look at smaller children.  Either way they are both wrong.  Some 12/13 year olds look like 18 year olds because they develop early.  They should be afforded the same protection as the 12 year old that looks like a 12 year old.  Because emotionally they are still a 12 year old.   If you are attracted to children then you are out of touch with the rest of society and shouldnt be around children.

Can you provide any facts from any recognized source to back up your “complete disagreement.”

Let’s start with the basics first. What do you disagree with in the statement below?

AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION STATEMENT

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR PEDOPHILIA

June 17, 2003

Arlington, Va. -- Pedophilia, included in the American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) since 1968, continues to be classified as a mental disorder. The DSM is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals and provides clear, objective descriptions of mental illnesses, based upon scientific research. Pedophilia is categorized in the DSM-IV-TR as one of several paraphilic mental disorders. The essential features of a Paraphilia are recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors that generally involve nonhuman subjects, children, or other nonconsenting adults, or the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one’s partner.

An adult who engages in sexual activity with a child is performing a criminal and immoral act and this is never considered normal or socially acceptable behavior. Darrel A. Regier, M.D., M.P.H., Director, American Psychiatric Association’s Division of Research states, “there are no plans or processes set up that would lead to the removal of the Paraphilias from their consideration as legitimate mental disorders.”

The American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) criteria for Pedophilia (302.2) are:

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children (generally age 13 years or younger);

B. The person has acted on these sexual urges, or the sexual urges or fantasies cause marked distress or interpersonal difficulty;

C. The person is at least age 16 years and at least 5 years older than the child or children in Criterion A.

Pedophilia generally is treated with cognitive-behavioral therapy. The therapy may be prescribed alone or in combination with medication. Some examples of medications which have been used include anti-androgens and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Relapse prevention is also emphasized. However, the outlook for successful treatment and rehabilitation of individuals with Pedophilia is guarded.

The American Psychiatric Association is a national medical specialty society, founded in 1844, whose 35,000 physician members specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illnesses including substance use disorders.

For more information, visit the APA Web site at www.psych.org.

###

Edited by Mercy!

Was I breaking the law when I turned 18 and was having sex with my girlfriend who was 6 months younger than me?

Seriously, I've always wondered about that. Her parents really didn't like me much at the time and we wondered if they could get me in trouble if they wanted to be nasty.

It could well be lethal injection time for you, if you've been following the logic in some of these threads. Uh-oh.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Can you provide any facts from any recognized source to back up your “complete disagreement.”

Let’s start with the basics first.  What do you disagree with in the statement below?

I wouldn't use the pyschiatric definition of pedophilia or age of consent. This of course is the same group that testifies in court that Subject X is cured of his pedophilia urges and can be released into society, then a few months later Subject X is arrested for the disappearance of Victim B a 13 year old boy who is dead in the trunk of Subject X's car.

Sorry I go by the guidelines of the Illinois Comipled Statutes Criminal Code. This is the criteria we used to use to arrest these types of filth.

But based on the guidlines you had posted the 45 year old man who has sex with a 14 year old boy is not a pedophile. I guess the priests are off scott free. I would disagree with that statement.

My favorite quote in what you posted is "Pedophilia generally is treated with cognitive-behavioral therapy". In their mind they think they can use some therapy and some drugs and the pedophile will be ok. So take your prozac and you wont want to jump jimmy down the block. It doesnt work that way. Remove the creature from the society and never allow them around children again.

I wouldn't use the pyschiatric definition of pedophilia or age of consent.

Well that pretty well sums it up, I reckon. :huh:

End of discussion. It’s pretty hard to talk about a subject like this when all you say is I refuse to believe that which is accepted by recognized medical authorities or state law and only go by my own feelings.

By the way, your 45 year old could marry a 16 year old in Illinois. In other states, he could marry a girl younger than 16.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)

No if your 18 and she is 17 its not breaking the law.... but if you were 19 than it would of been. At least in Illinois in some other states it would be ok if she was even 16 and you were 18.