Dayn Perry's off-season report card

SSH2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5162736

Chicago White Sox

Additions: 1B Paul Konerko (re-signed — five years, $60M), INF Rob Mackowiak (acquired from Pirates), DH Jim Thome (acquired from Phillies), C Chris Widger (re-signed — one year, $650K)

Subtractions: INF Geoff Blum (Padres — one year, $650K), RP Damaso Marte (traded to Pirates), CF Aaron Rowand (traded to Phillies)

Needs: Outfield depth

The lowdown: The Daily Southtown reports that C A.J. Pierzynski would like a multi-year contract extension, and the Daily Herald reports that the Sox may be interested in signing utility man Jose Vizcaino. Also, Chicago has declined to offer arbitration to DH Frank Thomas, which means the future Hall of Famer will be plying his trade elsewhere next season.

Off-season grade so far: B+. Overpaid for Konerko and should've dealt Scott Podsednik instead of Rowand. Still, offense should be improved. Mackowiak will be a highly useful spare part.

Man, this guy really hates Podsednik doesn't he? And why do we need outfield depth? Podsednik, Anderson, Dye, Mackowiak, Ozuna, Owens. :huh He also says that we overpaid Konerko. Meanwhile, this is what he says about the Dodgers signing Furcal who got more money per season than Konerko:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5162730

Great move in signing Furcal to below-market contract, but the rotation still needs help.

:headshake

a completely uninformed commentary.

If Podsednik was dealt, who leads off?

Konerko was cheaper than Furcal, a career .284 hitter, who has never hit .300.

eh, what can you do. I just dont think he understands the value of Podsednik, then he says that 13 million/year was below market for Furcal... this is totally contradictary.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
a completely uninformed commentary.

If Podsednik was dealt, who leads off?

Lead off men are overrated to the stat sheet lovers like Dayn. Their argument has always been a leadoff hitter is only assured one at bat in which he actually leadoffs an inning. Therefore you should go with a guy with a higher OPS like Matt Stairs. :bang (Yes those losers made that actual argument.)

Well, the other point here is that Philadelphia wouldn't have taken Posednik over Rowand. They have different skill sets to be sure, but Rowand's potential is still more valuable than Posednik, who basically has maxed out.

i dont care if pods "potential" has maxed out [i partially agree with you though]. i do not regret trading rowand over podsednik.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Well, the other point here is that Philadelphia wouldn't have taken Posednik over Rowand. They have different skill sets to be sure, but Rowand's potential is still more valuable than Posednik, who basically has maxed out.

I actually think they both have maxed out. I really don't see Rowand having a better year or even duplicating what he did in '04. He'll continue to be a good player and will fit in nicely in Philly, but I think expecting him to have another year like he did in '04 may be asking too much.

This guy is a horrible columnist and I can't believe he gets paid to write.

He definitely has something against the Sox.

He picked against them in every round of the playoffs, said Pods was the most overrated player, he hated the Thome trade, said Paulie was not worth it, and says the Sox won't even make the playoffs next year. No matter what the Sox do, he always takes the negative perspective.

I am surprised he actually gave the Sox a B+.

this was hinted at before but what gives this article no credibility is the outfield depth comment. the cubs have jeremy burnitz (not yet signed) and an AFL left field prospect as their corner outfielders, and our 7th best outfielder (borchard) is probably the equivalent of burnitz

1. dye

2. pods

3. anderson

4. mak

5. owens

6. young

7. borchard.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
this was hinted at before but what gives this article no credibility is the outfield depth comment.  the cubs have jeremy burnitz (not yet signed) and an AFL left field prospect as their corner outfielders, and our 7th best outfielder (borchard) is probably the equivalent of burnitz

1.  dye

2.  pods

3.  anderson

4.  mak

5.  owens

6.  young

7.  borchard.

Ummm...I hope you're exaggerating, cause if Borchard was anywhere near as good as Burnitz, he'd have found a big league home by now.

I'm really sick of the crap that gets thrown at sabremetrics around here sometimes. Nobody is advocating putting Stairs at leadoff. Nobody is "undervaluing" speed. This article seemed like a pretty fair analysis to me. I think when he says "overpaid" for Konerko he is dead wrong. The market was tight this year with lots of teams willing to throw cash around for a slugger. Saying the Furcal deal was a steal and Konerko's is overpaying makes no sense.

We as Sox fans tend to assume that Thome will be perfectly healthy not just next year but for the bulk of his contract. Rowand on the other hand is a known commodity and is 5 years younger than Thome. I see where KW is going with this--he wants to win now. It does hurt to give up two promising LH pitchers though, especially when the organization isn't exactly loaded with LH prospects.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm really sick of the crap that gets thrown at sabremetrics around here sometimes.  Nobody is advocating putting Stairs at leadoff.  Nobody is "undervaluing" speed.  This article seemed like a pretty fair analysis to me. 

thank you, bill james

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
I'm really sick of the crap that gets thrown at sabremetrics around here sometimes. 

:crying . There are plenty of stat heads on this site and there are plenty who disagree with those methods. You'll find that everywhere so I don't know what the problem is.

The only thing that is going to change perception of the White Sox is winning. We've obviously started to do that, but we need to keep doing it.

Let's look at what he had and what we needed:

Needed: Replacement bat for 1B in case Konerko didn't resign

Had: Konerko, but we weren't sure at the time

Got: Thome, but Konerko resigned, so...

Needed: Power left handed bat

Had: OF talent in the minors

Got: Thome

Needed: LH backup INF/OF and 3B backup for Crede

Had: A LHRP who used up his time in Chicago but still had value

Got: Mackowiak

If you look at stats, injuries, fav teams, etc. you are gonna come uup with one idea. If you look at the needs of a team and those needs are fulfilled, all in all, I think the White Sox did what they set out to do.

Also considering the Sox are the reigning World Series champs and one would think other teams would try to fleece them, they haven't overpaid THAT much.