Yankees want Nomar to play first base?

SSH2005

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/58605.htm

December 13, 2005 --  Three years ago the odds of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Nomar Garciaparra together in the Yankees' infield were as long as a Beatles reunion.

Today, it's moving toward even money. That's because the Yankees are considering signing the 32-year-old Garciaparra to play first base.

While GM Brian Cashman and agent Arn Tellem refused to confirm or deny an offer has been made by the Yankees to Garciaparra, several industry sources indicated an offer has been made.

"I can't say anything, I can't make any comment other than to say a number of teams have expressed interest in a number of possibilities," Tellem said.

Cashman, who left for Tampa last night to meet with Yankee scouts from Latin America, didn't get into specifics.

"I wouldn't comment on that, I have talked to a lot of different people," Cashman said.

While there are risks — learning a new position in the big leagues is difficult and Jason Giambi is a better hitter when he plays the field — signing Garciaparra would give George Steinbrenner a star-studded infield.

This shows you how bad of a situation the Yankees are in right now. A few years ago they would have signed Konerko to a huge contract to play 1B, but this year they have to go after an ex-red sox over the hill SS to play 1B. All those huge long term deals are finally coming back to bite them in the ass.

I love how NY is hyping this as the Yankees uniting the trifecta of shortstops on one team. Maybe 3-5 years ago, this would have been spectacular. But now, adding Nomar to that currently overpaid and underachieving team just makes me laugh. Let them have Nomar, their starting pitching is still a train wreck, they have no visible chemistry, and appear to have next to nothing in the minors. And who to blame but the Boss? Thats the greatest part, IMO.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I love how NY is hyping this as the Yankees uniting the trifecta of shortstops on one team.  Maybe 3-5 years ago, this would have been spectacular.  But now, adding Nomar to that currently overpaid and underachieving team just makes me laugh.  Let them have Nomar, their starting pitching is still a train wreck, they have no visible chemistry, and appear to have next to nothing in the minors.  And who to blame but the Boss?  Thats the greatest part, IMO.

But surely if you give enough money to guys who have been badly injured previously (Jaret Wright, Nomar, Johnson, etc.) it has to work eventually, right?