YASNY

"A punishment that destroys the condemned"

Good Riddance

degrades the executioner,

How so?

arouses public manifestations of sadism

Yeah. People want the condemned to pay for what he did

and excites a hideous vainglory in certain criminals

Sorry jackasses, people with sense remember them as vicious criminals not martyrs

while forestalling nothing

Only because in its current form its a joke

is in truth only a form of revenge

Good

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
It is more of a commentary that if taking a life is deemed wrong by the state then how can the state supercede its supposed creed & take a life?  I take it that you haven't read much Camus...

Would this one be better?  "A punishment that destroys the condemned, degrades the executioner, arouses public manifestations of sadism and excites a hideous vainglory in certain criminals, while forestalling nothing, is in truth only a form of revenge: A punishment that penalises without forestalling is indeed called revenge. It is a quasi-arithmetical reply made by society to whoever breaks its primordial law."

Camus is a moron. The life of an innocent person is not equal to the life a convicted felon by the state's own system of rules, otherwise why would we distinguish between innocence and guilt at all? His/her argument is flawed because it fails to take in account the act which violates sociological rules and therefore seperates innocent from guilty. It sounds like it makes sense, but it's incorrect thinking.

The other quote is hilarious. Why not just say: "The average individual is ill-equiped to cope with the loss of a loved one. The need for justice that we all seek is ultimately a desire to see the universe balance out. It's a human emotion, an expectation really, to feel that if someone violates the social contract we agree to at birth and through the testing of adolescence, then the violator must pay the required pennance to "complete the transaction," if you will."

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Would that be Jesus' take as well?  I'd assume so if man is going to take it upon himself to play God and sanction the murder of convicted felons.

You want to play the religon game then explain how people who didn't worship the same God were the subjects of genocide? Obviously their lives were worth less than the lives of the chosen ones.

The life of an innocent person is not equal to the life a convicted felon.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Would that be Jesus' take as well?  I'd assume so if man is going to take it upon himself to play God and sanction the murder of convicted felons.

hey douche, don't put a period at the end of a quote where there isn't one.

The life of an innocent person is not equal to the life a convicted felon by the state's own system of rules, otherwise why would we distinguish between innocence and guilt at all?

that's what the quote said.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
You want to play the religon game then explain how people who didn't worship the same God were the subjects of genocide?  Obviously their lives were worth less than the lives of the chosen ones.

I don't care to play the religion game. But I was hoping that somebody who does like to do so could reconcile for me the difference in how Christians are called act toward the "least of His brothers" and what is actually advocated by the pro-capital punishment "Christians."

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
hey douche, don't put a period at the end of a quote where there isn't one.

that's what the quote said.

Sorry. So is a grammatical error going to keep you from answering?

By EXECUTING the least of His brothers, are you not doing the same to Him?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
I don't care to play the religion game.  But I was hoping that somebody who does like to do so could reconcile for me the difference in how Christians are called act toward the "least of His brothers" and what is actually advocated by the pro-capital punishment "Christians."

I can't play, cause I'm against it.

:lol:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Sorry.  So is a grammatical error going to keep you from answering?

By EXECUTING the least of His brothers, are you not doing the same to Him?

We're talking about two different things. What I believe and what the state believes. (That's the seperation of church and state for you :) )

I think murderers should spend their days in prison, and there they have a chance to live in a seperate society and choose whether to continue to be the least of us or choose greatness.

Like I said before, however, if this were personal and something happened to a loved one...It would be very, very difficult for me not to kill that indivdual myself. Hypocritical? maybe.... but honest to my humanity? very.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I think murderers should spend their days in prison, and there they have a chance to live in a seperate society and choose whether to continue to be the least of us or choose greatness.

That is good, and we agree. You seemed to be siding with the capital punishment camp, but that must have been my misinterpretation.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
That is good, and we agree.  You seemed to be siding with the capital punishment camp, but that must have been my misinterpretation.

I feel so honored with your sig :) No, I watched a movie called "The Life of David Gale" which came out a couple years ago, and I just made an honest assessment of what I believe. It's three fold really:

1) I understand that many people desire justice via the death of the instigator of the crime, therefore I understand why the state upholds the act of execution.

2) I personally feel that if unborn babies are to be deemed sacred, we should probably view all life as sacred. God will be the one to determine our ultimate outcome, so leave the individual locked up forever. I do not believe in parole for murderers.

3) If someone touched miss PA or one of my kids or family members, I'd seek justice too. #1 and #2 would have to do battle in my heart in my mind. When things become personal it's very, very difficult to seperate the emotions and desire for justice from what I think is right.

My point for arguing about what LCR had to say is that most of these wackos like borg, camus, etc make their living off of things that seem to make sense on the initial level, but utlimately if you see through the deception and skewed thinking, then you see that they're, well, morons :)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
I feel so honored with your sig :)  No, I watched a movie called "The Life of David Gale" which came out a couple years ago, and I just made an honest assessment of what I believe. It's three fold really:

1) I understand that many people desire justice via the death of the instigator of the crime, therefore I understand why the state upholds the act of execution.

2) I personally feel that if unborn babies are to be deemed sacred, we should probably view all life as sacred. God will be the one to determine our ultimate outcome, so leave the individual locked up forever. I do not believe in parole for murderers.

3) If someone touched miss PA or one of my kids or family members, I'd seek justice too. #1 and #2 would have to do battle in my heart in my mind. When things become personal it's very, very difficult to seperate the emotions and desire for justice from what I think is right.

My point for arguing about what LCR had to say is that most of these wackos like borg, camus, etc make their living off of things that seem to make sense on the initial level, but utlimately if you see through the deception and skewed thinking, then you see that they're, well, morons :)

You and I agree 100% on this issue. I don't think I could separate it if it were my situation, but it would be wrong of me.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
:bang

From one of my favorites:

You're that smart?

Let me put it this way: have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Yes.

Morons.

:cheers soxtalk's Sex, Lies, and Politics board in a nutshell. :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Let me ask this.  Do you soxtalkers think that murders will RISE if we got rid of the death penalty?

Or to say it another way - how much of a deterrent is the death penalty?  I personally think it's NOT a deterrent at all.  If you're crazy enough to kill someone, then you're crazy enough to not give a crap if you die.  Therefore, the death penalty isn't doing anything to keep crime down, so why sanction government killing?

Is jailtime even a deterrent anymore?

Seems to me when people commit a crime they aren't thinking about getting caught much less the punishment they'll have to face...

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
In honor of Soxy, I gotta go with some Camus:

"Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated can be compared. For there to be an equivalency, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life."

It is difficult to hear a politician talk about the sanctity of life but then in the same breath talk about how war and capital punishment are noble means of keeping a "civilized" society.

As to the "We need to do this fast" argument: Complex pre-trial motions, lengthy jury selections, and expenses for expert witnesses are all likely to add to the costs in death penalty cases. The irreversibility of the death sentence requires courts to follow heightened due process in the preparation and course of the trial. The separate sentencing phase of the trial can take even longer than the guilt or innocence phase of the trial. And defendants are much more likely to insist on a trial when they are facing a possible death sentence. After conviction, there are constitutionally mandated appeals which involve both prosecution and defense costs.

The first to quote a modern French novelist wins. Congrats Soxy! (edited) And by Soxy I meant LCR.

Edited by Rex Kickass