Interesting Poll Results

YASNY

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

I understand why you all are so gung ho happy about this guy getting killed. He's scum.

But aren't you people even the least little bit remorseful that we had to kill anyone to begin with?

I hate the thought of killing someone because they killed people. It's just killing to justify killing. And I think that's wrong. "What if it was MY family?" Yea, I'd be pissed off. And I'd probably want that person dead. But it sure doesn't make it right.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
It says that America is more in the mold of the Roman Empire at its most depraved and morally bankrupt than I would have believed possible.

FlaSoxx, I've made that comparison on this forum many times. IMO, you are 100% correct with this assertion. And it's one of the saddest things you can ever say, because our country will end the same way that the Roman Empire did, if not a worse ending.

As long as the site revels in this sort of thing, I don’t understand why it isn’t possible to have everyone who’s contribution to this topic consists of repeating in post after post - f***, and s***, and scumbag and die motherf***er Tookie and let’s kill everyone - quarantined in one thread to talk amongst themselves. That way it won’t pollute every thread. Fair enough?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
*sigh*

I understand why you all are so gung ho happy about this guy getting killed.  He's scum.

But aren't you people even the least little bit remorseful that we had to kill anyone to begin with?

I hate the thought of killing someone because they killed people.  It's just killing to justify killing.  And I think that's wrong.  "What if it was MY family?"  Yea, I'd be pissed off.  And I'd probably want that person dead.  But it sure doesn't make it right.

No. No. No. Tookie got off easy. They should have fired up old sparky and had a tookie barbecue at San Quentin.

Killing Tookie doesn't put things right..........but its a start.

EDIT: They need to find that rapist son of his and finish him as well.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
As long as the site revels in this sort of thing, I don’t understand why it isn’t possible to have everyone who’s contribution to this topic consists of repeating in post after post - f***, and s***, and scumbag and die motherf***er Tookie and let’s kill everyone - quarantined in one thread to talk amongst themselves.  That way it won’t pollute every thread.  Fair enough?

LMAO.

We tried that already. It was called the "politics thread for the week" and lots of people got pissy about it because they couldn't b**** in every single thread. So, now, we just get to b**** in every thread we deem appropriate about any subject. It's the cool soxtalk SLaP way, er the cool CRaP way, depending on your take.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
It's just killing to justify killing.

Well, I think I know what you mean, but it's phrased wrong. The second killing is justified by the first act. Nobody is trying to justify what he did in the first place.

For what it is worth, I do fully believe that he could have been rehabilitated. If anything, a misguided kid of 17 (possibly messed up on drugs) could honestly find the path to decency by the time he hits 51, and can regret and have remorse for what he did.

I also understand though where Arnie stands. The only thing Tookie ever regretted was forming the gang. He never admitted his guilt on the crimes commited that got him to death row, and he never showed remorse for them. So how can you say he was rehabilitated if he never show he had learned from the actual killing?

Ach, it's an evil ugly world in so many respects. No we are not a completely civilized world or country, but I do believe that most everybody is working to the same goals, just by different methods. We will never see a perfect world, and the world might end before that ever happens, but I do think most people are trying to get to it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
LMAO.

We tried that already.  It was called the "politics thread for the week" and lots of people got pissy about it because they couldn't b**** in every single thread.  So, now, we just get to b**** in every thread we deem appropriate about any subject.  It's the cool soxtalk SLaP way, er the cool CRaP way, depending on your take.

As the the de facto leader of the Pissy People, I still think it's a lot better this way. Readers can ignore entire threads that either don't interest them or anger them, and you don't have to wade through two dozen topics to follow a single thread topic.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
As the the de facto leader of the Pissy People, I still think it's a lot better this way. Readers can ignore entire threads that either don't interest them or anger them, and you don't have to wade through two dozen topics to follow a single thread topic.

Agreed. SLaP is just fine as it is right now.

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I'll keep my opinions to myself on this one,  ;)  i wouldn't want Rex Kickass to lock the thread, like he did on the Tookie Williams string, which was uncalled for, imo. I did nothing wrong to warrant the locking of that thread, if indeed i was the cause of it, for counting down the time till the plungers were pushed into Williams' arms, which indeed they were, and justly so. Another loser on his way to Hell....... :angry:

:cheers

Oh, and  :gosox1:

I'm gonna respond to this publicly, because I feel everyone has a right to know why I do the things that I do. We've let a lot of stuff go in this forum. To the point where a lot of our users and guests feel uncomfortable entering into what could be some wonderful discussions. As a mod in this forum, I've made the decision to be more aggressive in terms of trying to thin out the pissing matches and make this a place where anyone can feel comfortable. Because I don't want that to happen anymore.

I lock threads for a couple reasons. First, if posters are being directly attacked and the conversation is completely derailed, I lock the thread. Second, if people are posting things that I feel to portray this messageboard and website in a less than good light, I'll lock the thread. If you wanna post somewhere every half hour about how its xxx minutes til somebody dies, fine. You're just not gonna do it here. Because its the opinion of myself and other mods and admins that its in poorer taste than the poor taste that we already know and love.

K, thanks.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm gonna respond to this publicly, because I feel everyone has a right to know why I do the things that I do. We've let a lot of stuff go in this forum. To the point where a lot of our users and guests feel uncomfortable entering into what could be some wonderful discussions. As a mod in this forum, I've made the decision to be more aggressive in terms of trying to thin out the pissing matches and make this a place where anyone can feel comfortable. Because I don't want that to happen anymore.

I lock threads for a couple reasons. First, if posters are being directly attacked and the conversation is completely derailed, I lock the thread. Second, if people are posting things that I feel to portray this messageboard and website in a less than good light, I'll lock the thread. If you wanna post somewhere every half hour about how its xxx minutes til somebody dies, fine. You're just not gonna do it here. Because its the opinion of myself and other mods and admins that its in poorer taste than the poor taste that we already know and love.

K, thanks.

And as the RexKickass of the Admins, I approve 100% of Rex's handling of things.

If anyone has a problem with how he is handling things, and don't feel comfortable talking to him, they can PM me anytime.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Killing Tookie doesn't put things right..........but its a start.

I just want to know how it put something right.

I'm asking this really genuinely, because I want to know exactly what this solved. If you're going to respond with sarcastic comments or smileys just don't bother answering. I'm serious, I want to know what this put right.

Speaking on the internet poll, I can't be the only one who knows that internet polls can be spiked by different sites (i.e. FreeRepublic or Dem Underground puts up a poll -- and then skews the answers that way by flooding it with people and/or creating macros to flood it with responses one way or the other)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Speaking on the internet poll, I can't be the only one who knows that internet polls can be spiked by different sites (i.e. FreeRepublic or Dem Underground puts up a poll -- and then skews the answers that way by flooding it with people and/or creating macros to flood it with responses one way or the other)

Mind flashing back to some tribune polls earlier in the season. . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I'm sorry, YAS, someone has been using your computer. There were several replies from your account. They should be easy enough to track down. They couldn't understand the difference between a scientifically valid poll and a entertainment poll.  :lolhitting

Oh, I totally understand the difference. I just stated in my own way that I don't trust the results of those pols any more than you have faith in this one. You don't seem to understand the fact that I posted the poll and you ran with you damned liberal agenda. I was commenting on your closed minded comments and the fact you instantly dismissed it when it only said that 73% of the people that responded to the poll were in favor of capitol punishment. A vast majority. You didn't like it and you attacked it.

Now, if you imply again that I somewhat lacking in intelligence because I happen to disagree with you, we are going to take things to a whole new level.

Thought provoking little opinion piece in the Trib.

From the Los Angeles Times

'I Watched a Man Die Today'

By Steve Lopez

Times Staff Writer

Published December 13, 2005

SAN QUENTIN -- It's just past midnight, and another Crip is on his way to the graveyard.

Stanley Tookie Williams, who shotgunned four people to death a quarter of a century ago and couldn't sell the story of his redemption to anyone who mattered, took a lethal shot in the arm and closed his eyes for good.

I watched him die from 12 feet away. The execution team struggled to tap a vein, and Williams raised his head as if to question their competence. He also looked at supporters and exchanged final words with them before the drugs kicked in and he was gone.

Nothing I saw made me feel any differently about Williams, the Crip co-founder whose legacy is terrorized neighborhoods and a chorus of weeping mothers.

His anti-violence books and speeches were too little, too late, and the methodologizing of him was as unconvincing as the Nobel nominations.

But his execution was a macabre spectacle in a nation that preaches godly virtue to the world while resisting a global march away from the Medieval practice of capital punishment.

I would have had no problem leaving Williams locked up with his regrets and haunted by his deeds for the rest of his natural life.

I watched a man die today, killed by the state of California with institutional resolve, and wondered what we gained.

LMAO.

We tried that already.  It was called the "politics thread for the week" and lots of people got pissy about it because they couldn't b**** in every single thread.  So, now, we just get to b**** in every thread we deem appropriate about any subject.  It's the cool soxtalk SLaP way, er the cool CRaP way, depending on your take.

I believe that’s a false dichotomy. And it wasn’t what I was saying at all. Making one big thread in no way addressed a basic lack of civility with constant vulgarity for vulgarity’s sake. But at any rate, in this instance I was referring to the die motherf***er thread which was closed, and then seemed to be starting right back up again here.

Trying to get into the spirit of things, I've been thinking about how I could join in the name calling in a limited fashion without going overboard. I'm thinking of referring to President Bush as Penis (I got the idea from the thread title calling the governor of Illinois a dick). Or maybe Penis-in-Chief. I feel it allows me to participate in the nastiness in a limited way, while still maintaining some decorum. What do you think? It just doesn't seem fair that one side should have all the fun.

And don't be laughing your ass off; you'll need it some day. :P

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)

We need a pissy people smilie and name it the FlaSoxxJim smilie. :lol:

I don't disagree... which is why I was pretty quick to open it back up after reviewing it all. It's better to voice your opinion, but much like Palehose, sometimes you see the same things in 10 different threads. That was more the intent of the "one thread" idea... but it doesn't work around here and that's fine.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
I believe that’s a false dichotomy.  And it wasn’t what I was saying at all.  Making one big thread in no way addressed a basic lack of civility with constant vulgarity for vulgarity’s sake.  But at any rate, in this instance I was referring to the die motherf***er thread which was closed, and then seemed to be starting right back up again here.

Trying to get into the spirit of things, I've been thinking about how I could join in the name calling in a limited fashion without going overboard.  I'm thinking of referring to President Bush as Penis (I got the idea from the thread title calling the governor of Illinois a dick).  Or maybe Penis-in-Chief.  I feel it allows me to participate in the nastiness in a limited way, while still maintaining some decorum.  What do you think?  It just doesn't seem fair that one side should have all the fun.

And don't be laughing your ass off; you'll need it some day.  :P

I see the difference. Unfortunately, this happens all over soxtalk and not just in this forum.

And, we don't want to see the Penis-In-Chief named Bush... so please don't start the Penis-In-Chief thing. Please.

/looks to check and see if I have a rear still.

And, we don't want to see the Penis-In-Chief named Bush... so please don't start the Penis-In-Chief thing.  Please.

Cause that would be, like, really offensive? Yeah. Too bad, the "other side" doesn't have a vulgarity regulator. Well, of course they do. They just choose not to employ it cause they don't have to here.

And, ya know, considering that females other than other posters and maybe, say, Rosa Parks, are usually referred to around here only as body parts (and that's when guys are being nice!) ..... Well, Penis-in-Chief just seems like poetic justice to me.

Move over Cheney, the real Dick is in the (White) House.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Cause that would be, like, really offensive?  Yeah.  Too bad, the "other side" doesn't have a vulgarity regulator.  Well, of course they do.  They just choose not to employ it cause they don't have to here.

And, ya know, considering that females other than other posters and maybe, say, Rosa Parks, are usually referred to around here only as body parts (and that's when guys are being nice!) ..... Well, Penis-in-Chief just seems like poetic justice to me.

Move over Cheney, the real Dick is in the (White) House.

If Hillary wins in 08, I'm gonna have fun around here.