Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
I still don't understand why Contreras would be eligible for free agency after next season. He has not had 6 years in the majors.

must have been in his contract.... ala: some other player that just signed a contract.... i dont remember his name but thats a moot point, right?

oh... hey everyone, look at this funny picture of a bunny rabbit

404.jpg

now here is one of contreras when he was younger on cuba... funny... haha

_38627393_contreras300.jpg

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
I still don't understand why Contreras would be eligible for free agency after next season. He has not had 6 years in the majors.

He signed a $32 million, four-year contract (2003, 04, 05, 06). So salary arbitration in 2006.

Edited by WinninUgly

Check out Garland's 2nd half, it wasn't that great either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6396/splits

Garland (Pre All Star): 3.38 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, .247 BAA

Garland (Post All-Star): 3.65 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, .265 BAA

If we give up Jon Garland and Chris Young for Javier Vazquez, it's a horrible trade regardless of whether or not the Diamondbacks throw in cash.

Edited by SSH2005

congraulations to me, i found the love of my life..... you cant see my genitals so its apprioate....... and very much on the topic.... since the sox are in love with vazquez....

EDIT: Sorry, got to take the pic out Hi8is.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Sorry, meant to add a link.

Possible 2006 Free Agents

I would not mind signing either Gil Meche or Adam Eaton. Maybe we could trade for Eaton now. They desperately need outfield help. If we are going to send Chris Young in a deal for a pitcher I would much rather have Eaton than Vazquez.

Then again I hear bad things about Meche, such as:

Dec. 8

News: Meche has been actively shopped by the Mariners this offseason without success as the Pirates, Orioles, Mets and Brewers have said no thanks, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports.

Spin: Usually a guy like Meche will draw interest from somebody. But the baseball world apparently suspects of Meche what the Mariners have reluctantly accepted -- Meche lacks the mental fortitude to fulfill his considerable pitching skills. Meche is pretty much known to be the unnamed player whom former pitching coach Bryan Price said he could no longer get through to, hastening Price's leave from the team

The Score update guy in the 3:30 or so update said:

KW didn't confirm or deny interest in Vazquez, but did indicate he would, or has, offered the chance for both Garland and Contreras to stay with the White Sox beyond 2006. If they declined, he (KW) would "move forward".

It appears Garland has said no, and it appears KW is moving forward.

Further ... personally I do not believe for one minute that Chris Young is going anywhere. Again, IMO.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
The Score update guy in the 3:30 or so update said:

KW didn't confirm or deny interest in Vazquez, but did indicate he would, or has, offered the chance for both Garland and Contreras to stay with the White Sox beyond 2006.  If they declined, he (KW) would "move forward".

It appears Garland has said no, and it appears KW is moving forward.

Further ... personally I do not believe for one minute that Chris Young is going anywhere.  Again, IMO.

I guess this means that he will talk with Count about an extension soon.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
He signed a $32 million, four-year contract (2003, 04, 05, 06). So salary arbitration in 2006.

Good point, the Sox still own his rights for two years after the contract is up. In other words I don't think Contreras is going anywhere... kiss Jon Garland good bye.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Good point, the Sox still own his rights for two years after the contract is up.  In other words I don't think Contreras is going anywhere... kiss Jon Garland good bye.

Whoa, wait a second, are we sure about this? Just googling for lists of 2006 Free Agents they do have the name of Contreras on there.

Good point, the Sox still own his rights for two years after the contract is up.  In other words I don't think Contreras is going anywhere... kiss Jon Garland good bye.

I love that we still have arbitration rights to Contreras after next season. I was scared that he would be a free agent after 2006. I forgot that Contreras has only been in the MLB for 3 years. And even though Garland is much younger, Contreras has much better stuff and could be signed to a cheaper 3-year deal. Garland could get one of those Burnett deals after 2006.

Whoa, wait a second, are we sure about this?  Just googling for lists of 2006 Free Agents they do have the name of Contreras on there.

Contreras will be a free agent after 2006 but we will still have arbitration rights to him.

Edited by SSH2005

Ahhh, it's making more sense now:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

That same approach soon could be used by Williams where his team's starting rotation is concerned. The New York Daily News reported Tuesday that the White Sox might be on the verge of getting Javier Vazquez, while Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes was quoted in The New York Post that his team was "nearing conclusion" in regard to a deal for Vazquez.

Much like Mackowiak, Vazquez is a player who has interested Williams far more than simply in the recent past. With Vazquez set to earn $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007, the White Sox probably would want the Diamondbacks to pick up some of the money owed -- although they have not been willing to do so to date.

But with Jon Garland and Jose Contreras both having the potential to walk as free agents after the 2006 campaign, Williams refuses to be forced into making a reactionary move among an inflated pitching market at that time -- not when it's a problem he can fix in the interim, focusing on the defending World Series champion's most important commodity.

Williams intends to keep the White Sox on top by staying two or three steps ahead of the game. Williams made it clear that Garland and Contreras "will be given the opportunity to stay beyond the 2006 season," with Garland, who is eligible for arbitration, already reportedly having turned down a three-year deal. One of the two could be included in a possible deal for Vazquez, who finished 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA last season, but has worked at least 198 innings in six straight seasons.

The White Sox actually would control Vazquez for three years. Since he demanded a trade, he gave up the right to be a free agent after his contract expires, so they would be able to offer him arbitration for the third year.

Garland figures to earn in the $6 million range through arbitration, but could be replaced by Brandon McCarthy in the rotation if he was shipped to another team. Of course, the White Sox would prefer to move Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez and his $4.5 million salary, along with a prospect, setting up one of the best rotations in baseball with Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Vazquez, Garland and Contreras.

The goal for Williams is to make his team's top commodity even better. In the same sense, Williams will not be waiting too long for a response from Garland and Contreras in regard to their future on the South Side. Just read between the lines with Williams' ensuing comment.

"They will know when it's time to get serious," said Williams, when asked about the timetable his pitchers were working with in regard to deciding on the team's contract offers.

Williams paused, before adding directly, "By the way, it's probably time for them to get serious."

The fact that we would control Vazquez for 3 years, and not just 2, makes the trade make a lot more sense. But not if we are giving up Garland and Young for him.

But listen to the interview at WhiteSox.com about the Mackowiak addition. Kenny made it a point to pause and reiterate that now is the time for Garland and Contreras to get serious about re-signing with the Sox. And Garland just turned down a 3-year contract offer just a week ago.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Contreras will be a free agent after 2006 but we will still have arbitration rights to him.

Which doesnt make him a free agent. Something isn't right here, I think because he signed a long term deal when he first came here that makes his contract expire after that season and would not make him protected for us. I'm not sure if that's right but I'm pretty sure we don't hold his rights after this season.