Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I missed this or maybe I didnt feel like reading the 26 pages of bickering but why is it assumed that Garland is part of the deal?

From the article on whitesox.com: Garland figures to earn in the $6 million range through arbitration, but could be replaced by Brandon McCarthy in the rotation if he was shipped to another team. Of course, the White Sox would prefer to move Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez and his $4.5 million salary, along with a prospect, setting up one of the best rotations in baseball with Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Vazquez, Garland and Contreras.

The idea of that rotation made me happy in the pants area. So why not ship Chris Young and someone else like Josh Fields for Javier Vasquez and keep Garland around until the end of the season?

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Maybe I missed this or maybe I didnt feel like reading the 26 pages of bickering but why is it assumed that Garland is part of the deal? 

From the article on whitesox.com: Garland figures to earn in the $6 million range through arbitration, but could be replaced by Brandon McCarthy in the rotation if he was shipped to another team. Of course, the White Sox would prefer to move Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez and his $4.5 million salary, along with a prospect, setting up one of the best rotations in baseball with Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Vazquez, Garland and Contreras.

The idea of that rotation made me happy in the pants area.  So why not ship Chris Young and someone else like Josh Fields for Javier Vasquez and keep Garland around until the end of the season?

Because Mccarthy will be better then Vaz imo and there is no point to set him back a year. If this trade were made Garland would be gone one way or another.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
Because Mccarthy will be better then Vaz imo and there is no point to set him back a year.  If this trade were made Garland  would be gone one way or another.

That makes sense but if Garland isnt involved in the Vazquez deal then they could trade him for some very good talent since his trade value is pretty high right now.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)

The idea of that rotation made me happy in the pants area.  So why not ship Chris Young and someone else like Josh Fields for Javier Vasquez and keep Garland around until the end of the season?

My pet peeve: People who want in-demand players for below-the-Mendoza-line scrubs (ie - Vazquez for Chris Young and Fields. Are you serious?)

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
My pet peeve: People who want in-demand players for below-the-Mendoza-line scrubs (ie - Vazquez for Chris Young and Fields.  Are you serious?)

Hey, its not like I just brought this up on my own, I read it in the article and felt it was worth talking about.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
I was just throwing a name out there, but if you want to go by the article then El Duque and Young for Vazquez, now we all know that isnt going to happen.

either way, Garland or Contreras were included.

The White Sox feel too good about B-Mac to not have him start next year... and so do I.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
either way, Garland or Contreras were included.

The White Sox feel too good about B-Mac to not have him start next year... and so do I.

But wouldnt it be smarter to save Garland from this trade and deal him off to someone else before the season starts? With him going 18-10 last year, some team will surely give up some big talent to get this guy.

I just don't like the deal at all. I am weary of trading Garland. Think about what happened to PK before last season. They had a deal but he declined because he wanted to test the free-agent waters. Nothing was said during the season. We win the WS and he re-signs without a hitch. Hopefully the case is the same with Garland.

exactly, im sorry, i want big Jon back. screw 2007 and on, we want to win this yr. sure vasquez could be a good fit here, but Garland has proven that he is. if he walks after this season, ok. resign contreras, you still have buehrle, garcia, and mccarthy. thats 4 quality starters. then either sign a FA starter or work up a minor leaguer. or how about this, NEAL FOCKING COTTS. Why not give him one more yr in the pen and then wham.

Buehrle

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

McCarthy/Duque

Buehrle

Garcia

Contreras

McCarthy

Cotts

Nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I just don't like the deal at all. I am weary of trading Garland. Think about what happened to PK before last season. They had a deal but he declined because he wanted to test the free-agent waters. Nothing was said during the season. We win the WS and he re-signs without a hitch. Hopefully the case is the same with Garland.

Um, The White Sox were the ones who wanted to wait for the offseason to resign PK. And if you don't call what just happened in the offseason prior to us resigning PK a hitch, then I don't know what your definition would be. People don't realize that the Angels were pretty close in getting PK.

Garland is a pitcher. An average pitcher these days demands 10 million. Garland will surely get 12 million.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
After reading that article on the official site, I think it's a matter of when, not if, either Garland or Contreras gets traded.  I would put the percentage at about 95 pct likely Garland goes, and I think it will happen within the next 10 days.

...which makes me want to barf an cry at the same time.

After reading that article on the official site, I think it's a matter of when, not if, either Garland or Contreras gets traded.  I would put the percentage at about 95 pct likely Garland goes, and I think it will happen within the next 10 days.

The Diamondbacks have until March 15th, 2006 to trade Vazquez but I think it will happen sooner rather than later towards the deadline.

GOOD

we'll be able to fix vazquez

s***, even if he is our fifth starter BEHIND bmac.... here are my predictions for a healthy front 5

contreras- 19 - 10

burhle - 17 - 8

garcia - 16 - 12

b-mac - 15 - 13

vazquez - 14 - 12

thats 81 wins from our starters

and i dont think that any of those people arent capable of those numbers if healthy.