Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
Blalocks 2005 Away splits

.231 AVG / .276 OBP / .335 SLG = .611 OPS

Blalocks 2002-2004 Away Splits

.243 AVG / .300 OBP / .407 SLG = .707 OPS

Lucky for us then, the Cell is a great hitter's park. Also, he's locked up for more years than Crede will be, which obviously seems like a big key for KW.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
As many know, I'm one of those people who always expect something bad to happen.  Am I the only one who thinks that it's still likely this is just the same info from sportsline, and it still could include Garland?

Nope. Mlb.com is pretty legit. I don't think it would be on their front page if it was just them getting it from somewhere else.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
I just don't get the deal. The rotation was set, even if just for 2006. I think it would have been better to stay put but more pitching is more pitching. I have faith in deals that KW makes and I have faith in Ozzie/Coop.

I agree with posters who have said Garland could be dealt still, I think it may be KW's fear of injury due to all the innings last year and the World Baseball thing for FG and MB. Now he has a solid backup plan with B-Mac in AAA.

just read its a done deal, i couldnt stop myself from getting up and running around the room with my TOOL blaring.

we might miss young... thanks duque, contreras will be fine..... and vazquez, you'll love it here on the southside... your gonna be just fine big guy!

but he's a fly ball pitcher and wont pitch well for us... and jeremy reed is going to be sooooooo good in CF for seattle, he will win rookie of the year....and garcia will suck, he is a fly ball picther!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Technically its not that bad cause none of them are locked up super long term.  Plus you figure you'll be adding a couple cheaper bats in the next couple years via the farm system (and you know one of those starters will come off the books the next year) with a couple draft picks or a trade in the future. 

I'm happy with the off-season but if Jon has said he won't be back next year and if Kenny and Coop like the potential of Vaz figuring out his form and if Ozzie thinks he'll shut up and pitch (and stop whining) than I have zero problem with the move.  Assuming we aren't reamed in the cash and all that.

I doubt that Garland has said he isn't coming back - he just wants to come sign a long-term deal at his price or test free agency, and, if this deal is true, it gives Williams the opportunity to either add another hitter or go into the season with 6 starters (obviously, El Duque was a starter, but his age/health are constant questions).

Personally, I wouldn't mind holding on to the 6 starting pitchers, and having McCarthy break in next season out of the bullpen. I'd be surprised if Garcia doesn't spend a stint or two on the DL, or, at the very least, they skip him now and then to keep him fresh for the down the strech.

The same probably goes for the other 3 starters as well - while they may not have damaged arms, there may be some fatigue, and what better way to protect that with adding another pitcher who can log innings (Vazquez), and having a potential stud pitcher waiting in the wings.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
As many know, I'm one of those people who always expect something bad to happen.  Am I the only one who thinks that it's still likely this is just the same info from sportsline, and it still could include Garland?

Not if Duque and Young are a part of it. Unless the Sox are getting something else. It looks intersting, but the headline says they are nearing a deal and its expected to be announced on Wednesday. It is a brand new headline though.

It looks like the Sox are adding another arm. This is really interesting. The Sox may have one of the sickest rotations in a long time (if everyone lives up to there hype/potential and stays healthy). I think Kenny is really worried about the Winter Baseball Classic and may just go with a 6 man rotation early in the season to keep his pitchers fresh. Hell considering who the 6 starters are it isn't a bad early option.

Than Kenny has Bmac get more seasoning in the majors and he'll be ready to step in at any time a pitcher is fatigued or if they go down for an extended period of time. It also gives Kenny major leverage in a year when he doesn't need to worry about losing 2/4ths of his veterans. Instead, even if he lost both of them, they'd still have 3 good pitchers and than Bmac, in need of just one more. Plus Kenny would have chips to deal one of those arms (at the deadline) if a serious talent were available (one that would be a great long term and short term move).

I hate giving up Chris Young, we all know I love him, but were at least getting pitching and I've long had a theory you can never have too much pitching. Pitching, especially good pitching, helps you win and if you do ever want to deal it, you always get good value for a good starter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Rotoworld's already bashing the trade from the Sox point of view.  If this trade is legit, I'm thrilled to get rid of Duque, who easily had the worst contract on the team.

Can't be worse than how they bashed the Pods/Viz for C-Lee deal last year.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

Latest News  Dec. 14, 2005 - 12:40 am et

The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.

Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary.

Source:  CBS.SportsLine.com

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
just read its a done deal, i couldnt stop myself from getting up and running around the room with my TOOL blaring.

we might miss young... thanks duque, contreras will be fine..... and vazquez, you'll love it here on the southside... your gonna be just fine big guy!

but he's a fly ball pitcher and wont pitch well for us... and jeremy reed is going to be sooooooo good in CF for seattle, he will win rookie of the year....and garcia will suck, he is a fly ball picther!

Where did you read that?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
TWIW, but Gammons said last week if Arizona were to trade Vazquez, they would not pick up any of his contract, including the $3 million the Yankees send them to help pay  it. That means, if their position hasn't changed,  the Sox would be on the hook for $11.5 million this year, and $12.5 million next year. The way Vazquez has performed the last season and a half, I would prefer to hang on to Garland and/or Contreras at that price. I am one who doesn't think this is going to happen.

would people stop believing whatever Gammons says how many different ways do we have to prove he's not credible

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
Rotoworld's already bashing the trade from the Sox point of view.  If this trade is legit, I'm thrilled to get rid of Duque, who easily had the worst contract on the team.

Rotoworld rarely likes our deals. Hmmm....I wonder what Dayn Perry thinks?