Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should I care about Chris Young? We have other minor league pospects rated higher than Young who can be our "next centerfielder for 10 years". By the way, that "next centerfielder for the next 10 years" thing is a pipe dream. You can't just assume your going to sign someone for 10 years, especially if they become a player worth anything in the majors, as a matter of fact, I guarantee that doesn't happen.

We are absolutly loaded with outfielders in the minors.

Well I wanted the White Sox to shake up the bullpen a little bit. I have a deep concern that El Duque's absence may really affect Contreras, and I have no doubt that either Garland or Contreras or Vazquez or Garcia will be dealt before spring training to fill the bullpen void on this team and maybe add a prospect or 2. Losing Chris Young is a killer to me. With Vizcaino and Marte gone, if Timo sticks he's going to have to take on the burden of being Soxtalk's main whipping boy.

i sure hope the yankee-to-white sox effect happens (in which a player is mediocre in NY and shines in Chitown), cause i dont like this deal at all. if vasquez turns out to be just another average player with a much too large salary, then we have wasted chris young. viz doesnt matter that much to me, and el duce is past his zenith (lets face it).

in kenny we trust. until he actually screws up, i wont believe that he has yet.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
Why should I care about Chris Young?  We have other minor league pospects rated higher than Young who can be our "next centerfielder for 10 years".  By the way, that "next centerfielder for the next 10 years" thing is a pipe dream.  You

And these centerfielders rated higher than Chris Young are?

We shouldn't have included Vizcaino.  I think the 3 guys in total is too much for a mediocre pitcher.

El Duque stinks (postseason notwithstanding) and isn't worth $4.5 million and Vizcaino is a mediocre reliever who gives up far too many baserunners. I don't see how anyone cares about losing those two. The big loss is Chris Young.

Just a few thoughts here after reading all 59 pages...

#1 Vazquez+Cooper=Contreras. There is something they see in Vazquez they think they can fix. They obvious told Ozzie to feel the kid out and check out his mental state. Obviously Ozzie likes what he said, because he is a White Sox now.

#2 I get the feeling one of the starters has some kind of an injury, and I get the feeling it is Garcia. I have no real evidence, just Kenny worrynig about Garcia being tired, and then aquiring another starter.

#3 Maybe a little bit of thinking outside the box might be necesary here... If Jenks fails as a closer, remember that the Sox originally were looking at aquiring Contreras to be a closer. That would slide Bmac into the rotation to be the #5, and no bullpen arm is needed.

#4 I love Kenny Williams. Not only is he looking at 2006, he is looking at 2007 and 2008 and what inflation has done to the pitching market. He is buying the guys in rookie ball and A ball two years to get ready for the majors instead of forcing them quicker than they need to go. He just dealt a starting pitcher we didn't want, the last reliever out of our pen, and a prospect in a position where we feel we have two other major league ready players at for a top of the rotation starter... AND got Arizona to pick up some contract. KW for Exec of the year 2006.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Sorry, I love what El Duque did for us in the postseason but I sure didn't enjoy his 1.46 WHIP and 5.12 ERA in the regular season.

Dont forget his time on the DL. Duque brought alot of credentials, and maybe he was a force in the lockerroom, but he was less than advertised in the field.

The more this sinks in, the more I think about the money. That's a big key. We gave up El Duque (4.5M), Viz (1.3+ for Arb, call it 2M), and Young, which is 6.5M or so. Vazquez will cost 12.5M in 2006.

If we can get 4M or more in 2006 as makeup money, then I think I'm happy. That would mean we only extended by $2M, and got a healthier, younger starter, with some serious high end potential. We had a crowd in the 'pen from the right side anyway, and we are now hearing that Hermy's re-hab is going well (I know, I predicted previously he'd be out, but recent reports seem to make me wrong).

If on the other hand we have to take all 12.5M, then I think we overpaid by a lot.

BMac is a starter and a major-league ready 5th starter now. There is no way we move him to the pen for a season and hinder his progress. He is plugged in as your 5th starter with Buerhle at 1, Garcia at 2, either Garland or Contreras at 3, and Vasquez at 4. Either Garland or Contreras are moved for prospects to replenish the system, a middle-reliever or LOOGY, and possibly a low-priced veteran OF.

I liked the Thome move, signing Konerko was a must and trading Marte for a super-utility player was a needed so that prepared us for next year. I think KW is now looking at preparing us to 3-peat but I want to be careful that we don't change up so much that we lose our edge next year.

I hate seeing Chris Young go but hopefully Garland or Contreras will net us some young stud prospects in the infield, at catcher or pitching as I think Guillen, Wilder and KW are sold on Anderson, Owens and evetually Sweeney (and maybe Borchard :P ) in the OF.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Just a few thoughts here after reading all 59 pages...

#1 Vazquez+Cooper=Contreras.  There is something they see in Vazquez they think they can fix.  They obvious told Ozzie to feel the kid out and check out his mental state.  Obviously Ozzie likes what he said, because he is a White Sox now.

#2 I get the feeling one of the starters has some kind of an injury, and I get the feeling it is Garcia.  I have no real evidence, just Kenny worrynig about Garcia being tired, and then aquiring another starter.

#3 Maybe a little bit of thinking outside the box might be necesary here... If Jenks fails as a closer, remember that the Sox originally were looking at aquiring Contreras to be a closer.  That would slide Bmac into the rotation to be the #5, and no bullpen arm is needed.

#4 I love Kenny Williams.  Not only is he looking at 2006, he is looking at 2007 and 2008 and what inflation has done to the pitching market.  He is buying the guys in rookie ball and A ball two years to get ready for the majors instead of forcing them quicker than they need to go.  He just dealt a starting pitcher we didn't want, the last reliever out of our pen, and a prospect in a position where we feel we have two other major league ready players at for a top of the rotation starter... AND got Arizona to pick up some contract.  KW for Exec of the year 2006.

These are exactlly what I was thinking.

Nice

this is disgusting.

i REALLY thought we were going to get him.

farkin ken williams.

he already has contreras, buerhle, mccarthy, garcia, and garland, and now that bastard wants VAZQUEZ!?

i was such a big ken williams fan. he's enemy #2 now behind scheurholz.

LMAO!!! This is from a Mets fan.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
BMac is a starter and a major-league ready 5th starter now.  There is no way we move him to the pen for a season and hinder his progress.  He is plugged in as your 5th starter with Buerhle at 1,

It is ironic that you went from saying that starting in the pen would hinder Bmacs development, straight to talking about Buehrle as the number one starter. For those who do not remember, MB got broke into the Sox, out of the bullpen as a long reliever... It seemed to workout OK for him.