Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:35 AM)
A possible ace, well Chris Young is a possible superstar as well.

yeah

and i like the idea of a possible ace better then a possible superstar who has just had sucess up to the AA level.

there are guys who hit .400 in AAA and then come up here and never really find it....

let me guess... you thought willie harris was gonna be the next willie mays.... because willie hit .400 in the minors. he coulda been a superstar... no way... trade willie mays for someone like barry zito? are you nuts, willie could be a star!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have a 6 man rotation where 5 of the starters will likely all being making at least 7.5 million per season. There are still so many possibilities that KW can look at if they do acquire Vazquez without trading one of our main starters, but I would believe that when I see it. However, as of now, I would much rather see KW just sit back, relax, and be pleased with how this offseason went.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
HAH

awsome

get el duque off the books and outta the pen... give bmac more time to transition into the leauge.... have another possible ace in the rotation and one in the bullpen..... and no matter how big of a woody you all have for chris young... hes still a prospect... no prospect is a sure thing....

id have to say that a #1 rated CF prospect in AA isnt as important as a possible front line starter with major leauge sucess.... expecially when you are stacked from a minor leauge CF stand point.

if you take away young, you are severely less stacked than you were before. front line? if he returns to form ok, but thats a big risk, especially at 12 million per year. you are right, no prospect is a sure thing. but is vasquez?

I know people dislike him cause he sucked last year, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see KW try and use Garland as a chip to acquire Blalock. It seems as if KW doesn't trust the market right now, and he would rather just avoid the impending contract quarrels with Crede/Boras.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
You don't have a 6 man rotation where 5 of the starters will likely all being making at least 7.5 million per season.  There are still so many possibilities that KW can look at if they do acquire Vazquez without trading one of our main starters, but I would believe that when I see it.  However, as of now, I would much rather see KW just sit back, relax, and be pleased with how this offseason went.

KW may be willing to have all that money on the payroll because I know he's been as outspoken as he can be about his dislike for the World Baseball Classic. (It seems MLB has basically told the clubs not to complain about it publicly).

He could be looking at a rotation that pitched a ton of innings last year, now he's going to have MB and FG pitching in the World Classic. He may just keep BMac in AAA and if any of these guys complain a little he will shut them down for awhile and have a backup plan.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
You don't have a 6 man rotation where 5 of the starters will likely all being making at least 7.5 million per season.  There are still so many possibilities that KW can look at if they do acquire Vazquez without trading one of our main starters, but I would believe that when I see it.  However, as of now, I would much rather see KW just sit back, relax, and be pleased with how this offseason went.

Technically its not that bad cause none of them are locked up super long term. Plus you figure you'll be adding a couple cheaper bats in the next couple years via the farm system (and you know one of those starters will come off the books the next year) with a couple draft picks or a trade in the future.

I'm happy with the off-season but if Jon has said he won't be back next year and if Kenny and Coop like the potential of Vaz figuring out his form and if Ozzie thinks he'll shut up and pitch (and stop whining) than I have zero problem with the move. Assuming we aren't reamed in the cash and all that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
I know people dislike him cause he sucked last year, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see KW try and use Garland as a chip to acquire Blalock.  It seems as if KW doesn't trust the market right now, and he would rather just avoid the impending contract quarrels with Crede/Boras.

I kept thinking of who Garland would go for and Texas is the team I keep thinking of and Blalock is the exact name that keeps popping up in my mind. Hell Nix is out there too (can play CF IIRC).

I think a deal for the two of them could work, even though everyone here hates Blalock.

I'd love to see us get a real good young CF thats still cheap though for Garland (but I can't think of any out there this second...must be suffering from brain cramps due to finals).

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
yeah

and i like the idea of a possible ace better then a possible superstar who has just had sucess up to the AA level.

there are guys who hit .400 in AAA and then come up here and never really find it....

let me guess... you thought willie harris was gonna be the next willie mays.... because willie hit .400 in the minors. he coulda been a superstar... no way... trade willie mays for someone like barry zito? are you nuts, willie could be a star!!!

Yes of course. I actually thought Willie was the next coming of Babe Ruth, not only did I think he'd be a 50 homer per year guy, I thought he'd close for us as well, unfortunately that didn't work out. I really have no problem dealing Young if the deal is right, however if something like this happened I'd want to trade Jon as well. Brandon needs to be in the rotation imo and if we get Vaz for that proposed deal then you can deal Jon for a stud cf or even a damn good cf and a solid lh reliever. If that was the case the rotation would still be awesome and you'd be able to upgrade the offense and the bullpen, obviously that's a hell of a lot that would have to happen right there.

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
if you take away young, you are severely less stacked than you were before. front line? if he returns to form ok, but thats a big risk, especially at 12 million per year. you are right, no prospect is a sure thing. but is vasquez?

You know Vazquez will be a slightly above average SP at worst. Young could be a complete flop and not make the majors. Or Vazquez could revert to Expos form, become a complete stud and make our rotation one of the best ever. Young could become a superstar and make many allstar games to come 3-4 years down the road.

Let's not forget we also do have one of the best pitching coaches in the league and one of the better game callers behind the plate.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
You can about finalize this deal--MLB is reporting it on their main page.

Goodbye Duque, Young--and soon, Garland.

Duque/Young for Vazquez.....I kinda like it. Better than Garland for Vazquez IMO. Pretty much a done deal....

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
Even though, as we said, people hate Blalock here, I would still take him in a heartbeat over Joe Crede.

Blalocks 2005 Away splits

.231 AVG / .276 OBP / .335 SLG = .611 OPS

Blalocks 2002-2004 Away Splits

.243 AVG / .300 OBP / .407 SLG = .707 OPS

let me put it this way....

when the contreras trade went down i was estatic.... why? because i believed that the talented coaching staff (KW, cooper, and ozzie) could help him achive sustained sucess.... that is what i believe, we began to see last year with contreras....

i believe if they can do it with contreras... they can do it with vazquez.... accaully, i think the transition period would be less then it was for contreras.... for contreras it took 1/2 of 2004 and all of spring training to get going.... i think vazquez could be on the begining swing of a turn around right out of the spring training gates....

this is coming from someone who watched jose contreras give up 8 ER in 3 IP last year in spring training against the d-backs..... the next day, before the game i told contreras that he looked good the other day and he will be great this year.... that same day, i watched vazquez pitch against us.