Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Very interesting.  What this tells me, in all likelyhood, is the KW feels he has little or no chance of getting Garland to sign a multiyear deal, within what KW feels is a reasonable amount of $$$.  So, he's trying to trade Garland for a quality pitcher with some cost certainty.  Good thinking on KW's part.

KW obviously thinks Coop can work some magic with Vazquez and hopefully get him back to his Expos form. He was wildly inconsistent in 2005, hopefully if he does come here, the factors will be here for a rebound, such as the Latino clubhouse atmosphere and having Ozzie and Freddy there to help. Kind of like El Duque with Contreras to a lesser extent.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsday wrote in their possibly suggesting this could happened. Yes, kenny has been looking at him. But I highly doubt kenny lookin trade contreas espically under contract many years. Plus, whatever kenny offered to garland this offseason was turned down condisered be 3 year deal. Adding money of vasquez does not make sense unless they eat up more of the contract. Pierzynski, and crede will be getting money as well. Piersynski wants long term which means 3 year deal for him. I believe this report is bogus and false. I remember reading last few years that this news article has written that paul konerko was traded for vasquez. I just dont believe it because too much money for vasquez espically since we dont even know what garland makes. yet for 2006 season.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
Newsday wrote in their possibly suggesting this could happened. Yes, kenny has been looking at him. But I highly doubt kenny lookin trade contreas espically under contract many years. Plus, whatever kenny offered to garland this offseason was turned down condisered be 3 year deal. Adding money of vasquez does not make sense unless they eat up more of the contract. Pierzynski, and crede will be getting money as well. Piersynski wants long term which means 3 year deal for him. I believe this report is bogus and false. I remember reading last few years that this news article has written that paul konerko was traded for vasquez. I just dont believe it because too much money for vasquez espically since we dont even know what garland makes. yet for 2006 season.

This possible trade makes perfect sense to me and I find it very believable.

Garland could be gone for a huge contract after 2006. Vazquez would be under contract for 2006 and 2007. That would be the main reason KW would make this trade. And maybe we could get Vazquez and cash for Garland so Vazquez would be relatively inexpensive for the two years. You realize that Garland could get $10 million a year after next season, right? He will be a free agent after 2006.

Edited by SSH2005

I definitely don't want to see this deal go down. If we're going to trade Contreras or Garland at peak value, at least the pitcher we get should be someone with a good contract/value. For his contract, Vazquez is not that person. Also, I think if they trade Garland, you're basically writing Buehrle's ticket out of town when his contract is up also.

I definitely don't want to see this deal go down.  If we're going to trade Contreras or Garland at peak value, at least the pitcher we get should be someone with a good contract/value.  For his contract, Vazquez is not that person.  Also, I think if they trade Garland, you're basically writing Buehrle's ticket out of town when his contract is up also.

Teams know that Garland may want to test free agency after 2006. That means whatever team gets him might only have him for one season. I would think that would lower his trade value quite a bit.

If we're going to trade Contreras or Garland at peak value

They'd probably be at peak value if they were signed longer than 2006.

If any of this is true, it means the Sox are convinced at least one of Garland/Contreras won't re-sign.

I found the article. This was a chat with ESPN's Jerry Crasnick on December 9th regarding the Winter Meetings:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10110

Tom (Blairstown,NJ): what do you think aboth the moves the White Sox have made and are they done with the off-season moves? what have u heard?

Jerry Crasnick: Tom,

I heard a little bit about the White Sox being a darkhorse Javy Vazquez candidate, but personally, I think they're just about finished with moves. They're picking up Rob Mackowiak as Joe Crede insurance, and Thome should help that lineup if he's healthy. And they've got plenty of pitching. Kenny Williams is in a pretty nice spot.

wow, this is huge. Vazquez has the ability to go for a Cy Young with 200+ strikeouts, and I think Coop could do well for him.

I would rather deal Garland than Contreras, but either would be ok in my book because they would both be hard to sign.

Jon doesnt seem to fit the goofball psyche of this team, and I don't think he wants to stay in the midwest...

of course, the midwest is not exactly out east, where Vazquez has b****ed he wants to play for some time now (however, i say that he should have actually gotten someone out while in NY and it would not have been a problem).

vasquez remaining salrary is too high to take on. Garland will get his 7 or 8 million in arbitration. If kenny had 12 million for next 2 years garland probably would accept

Vazquez will earn $8.5 million in 2006 and $9.5 million in 2007. Kenny might be able to get the Diamondbacks to throw a couple million his way to help pay for Vazquez's contract. The Sox offered Garland a three year contract a week ago and he turned it down. Garland would probably laugh at an offer of $12 million for two years, especially since he could probably get $10 million a year once he hits free agency after next season.

Edited by SSH2005

Vasquez had a 4.41 ERA in the NL last year.  Garland 3.50 something ERA in the AL.  Please don't do this move, as some have said, it would have a negative impact on Buerhle, also.

What does Buehrle have to do with this, they are professionals, players come and go.