Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
right, like I posted earlier, KW hates the World Baseball Classic, and I think he's OK with sticking B-Mac in the minors for another year and using him in spot starts if needed.

B-Mac is a major league ready pitcher, but I don't see the harm in easing him into the rotation. He'll fill the role he had most of this year. We were extremely lucky to have our starters as healthy as they were from start to finish, but its hard to expect that every year. If, god forbid, something were to happen to one of our five starters...BAM! Here comes B-Mac! Bullpen or AAA, I don't know. But I'm sure Ozzie, Coop & Crew will know what is best for him.

Either way, we've come a long way since our "5th starter by committee" days.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this senario....B Mac pitches in key relief spots.... helps bridge the gap to the 9th if we don't get 7 out of the starter, and start whenever a starter is injured (which odds are good will happen to somebody at some point, the main point why we should keep Garland this year if we get Vasquez).

So keep McCarthy in AAA and bring him up if and when there is an injury to a starter in the rotation. I guess that makes sense. But isn't McCarthy's service time up and running now?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
B-Mac is a major league ready pitcher, but I don't see the harm in easing him into the rotation.  He'll fill the role he had most of this year.  We were extremely lucky to have our starters as healthy as they were from start to finish, but its hard to expect that every year.  If, god forbid, something were to happen to one of our five starters...BAM!  Here comes B-Mac!  Bullpen or AAA, I don't know.  But I'm sure Ozzie, Coop & Crew will know what is best for him.

Either way, we've come a long way since our "5th starter by committee" days.

4th by committee days you mean.

We through out some chumps after Buehrle and Garland in 2001.

2002 we through out Buehrle, Garland and Ritchie was it?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
The more I think about this trade the move I like it.  There are teams that are supposed to be competative teams that are scrambling for solid 4th or 5th starters.  Now KW has 6 solid starters.  He can either stay where he is or hold all the cards in a potential deal.

Look at the Cardinals, they made the NLCS last year, and they lost Matt Morris, how do you think their fans feel right now?  They would likely give up a ton to get JG.

good point...i think the cards wouldnt give up much major league talent though, and i dont think the sox are gonna want anythign but major league talent for garland

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
So keep McCarthy in AAA and bring him up if and when there is an injury to a starter in the rotation.  I guess that makes sense.  But isn't McCarthy's service time up and running now?

Ehh he is more valuable to us as the 6th starter/helping out of the pen than he is in AAA. We know he's a MLB pitcher, so hey if he has to wait a year to start, so be it. He can be a very valuable guy out of the pen IMO, and add depth to the pen and rotation.

As for the service time thing, you sir are asking the wrong guy.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
good point...i think the cards wouldnt give up much major league talent though, and i dont think the sox are gonna want anythign but major league talent for garland

yeah, I was just using them as an example of a team that would kill for another solid starting pitcher.

This is a GREAT problem to have, and I imagine the Sox are the only major league team with this issue.

Ehh he is more valuable to us as the 6th starter/helping out of the pen than he is in AAA.  We know he's a MLB pitcher, so hey if he has to wait a year to start, so be it.  He can be a very valuable guy out of the pen IMO, and add depth to the pen and rotation.

As for the service time thing, you sir are asking the wrong guy.

So if Garland isn't traded, I guess McCarthy will just take over the role that El Duque would have had with us in 2006 if he wasn't traded -- long reliever / spot starter out of the bullpen.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
So if Garland isn't traded, I guess McCarthy will just take over the role that El Duque would have had with us in 2006 if he wasn't traded -- long reliever / spot starter out of the bullpen.

Yes sir, that is how I see it playing out. But I still would be pretty surprised if we don't trade Garland for a solid to very good MLB outfielder (assuming the Vasquez thing does indeed happen).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
There's no way McCarthy starts next season in AAA.

I agree. And I'm fine with him in the bullpen, as long as he is used. And I suspect that, being the quality pitcher he is and that Ozzie even used Viz alot, B-Mac will get used. If anything, he can solidify our bullpen as a long relief guy. Wouldn't be the first time its been done with a young, soon-to-be starter.

Well no. Ozzie had El Duque starting this year if he was with us.

Ozzie said that to up El Duque's value in a trade. It's pretty obvious now. He didn't want to come out and say, "OH NO! McCarthy has to be in the rotation! Now we will have to dump El Duque for peanuts!" :lol:

Edited by SSH2005