Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

Im not too upset about losing El Duque or Vizcaino. Chris Young sounds like a great prospect, but then again he is a prospect. As for Vazquez I always wanted him when he was an Expo and apparently the Sox have wanted him badly too. Lets hope KW knew what he was doing here, and what he is going to be doing with his next trade. I also believe Garland will be gone as well, and hopefully we end up with a quality center fielder and get some more bullpen arms along the way!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
I doubt I'm the only one happy to get rid of Duque and Viz.  They were clearly out two worst pitchers that we sent out to the mound on a consistent basis.  And might I be the first in this thread to say that Baj shouldn't be considered a legit fill-in for our bullpen holes.  He's shown nothing at the MLB level to suggest he can be a quality reliever.

Damaso was worse then Viz imo. Viz was solid, nothing spectacular but he was a nice guy to have at the end of your bullpen. Kenny ain't done now, I'm sure he's going to find ways to upgrade the pen.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
I like my pitching staff to be deep. Without McCarthy we have no insurance just in case 1 memeber of the staff goes down.

It's not smart to assemble a rotation with a fully capable starting pitcher in the bullpen. Sure, it speaks to your depth, but it also removes a valuable contributer from performing his full capabilities.

I don't believe Guillen will find McCarthy consistent work. Especially with a rotation renowned for consistently pitching into the 7th inning or later. Let's narrow down the opportunities for Mac to pitch: Buehlre and Garland are workhorses, Garcia puppeters Guillen, Vazquez will probably do the same as Garcia, Contreras--who knows.

McCarthy is not giving the team his full potential working out of the bullpen. Pitchers are in the bullpen for a reason. If they had more than 2 pitches, or endurance, they'd be starters. As 3e8 eluded to, we're essentially keeping him down. Why, again? Are we keeping him in the bullpen solely for insurance? Doesn't sound right for Mac.

It all doesn't matter to speculate, anyways. Garland will be in another uniform come spring training.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Damaso was worse then Viz imo.  Viz was solid, nothing spectacular but he was a nice guy to have at the end of your bullpen.  Kenny ain't done now, I'm sure he's going to find ways to upgrade the pen.

He still gave up way too many baserunners. He was always a hit or a deep fly away from blowing a game. That's why Ozzie had to use him at the back end of the bullpen. There has to be a similar option within the organization or available via free agency.

Edited by SSH2005

i think vizciano had an era last year PRE-ALLSTAR break of something like 5.65.... that was inflated by a bad preformance in one game (3rd game of the year vs cleveland) but i mean.... the guy wasnt a IRREPLACEABLE guy out of the BP

Trading Vizcaino, Young, Hernandez for Vazquez ALONE?! This is ridiculous. Arizona better be eating a LARGE portion of his salary. I'd rather have traded Garland. Atleast we'd have two capable bullpen arms in Hernandez and Vizcaino.

Williams better have a deal situated. One which nets one, possibly two, bullpen arms in return. He may still pull of a trade which addresses these concerns, but as of now, our bullpen is in complete shambles. I

If it's not obvious Williams is trading Garland now, I don't know what is. I have to believe he wouldn't deal Vizcaino if there wasn't an option out there for a replacement. Although I did mention the same phrase after Marte's departure, and to this moment, he has yet to be replaced either.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Trading Vizcaino, Young, Hernandez for Vazquez ALONE?! This is ridiculous. Arizona better be eating a LARGE portion of his salary. I'd rather have traded Garland. Atleast we'd have two capable bullpen arms in Hernandez and Vizcaino.

Williams better have a deal situated. One which nets one, possibly two, bullpen arms in return. He may still pull of a trade which addresses these concerns, but as of now, our bullpen is in complete shambles.

If it's not obvious Williams is trading Garcia now, I don't know what is. I have to believe he wouldn't deal Vizcaino if there wasn't an option out there for a replacement. Although I did mention the same phrase after Marte's signing, and to this moment, he has yet to be replaced either.

I'm hoping we are getting that $6 million from the Yankees.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)

Williams better have a deal situated. One which nets one, possibly two, bullpen arms in return. He may still pull of a trade which addresses these concerns, but as of now, our bullpen is in complete shambles.

If it's not obvious Williams is trading Garcia now, I don't know what is. I have to believe he wouldn't deal Vizcaino if there wasn't an option out there for a replacement. Although I did mention the same phrase after Marte's signing, and to this moment, he has yet to be replaced either.

First, I'm sure you mean Garland, not Garcia. As I said in a PM recently, I honestly liked the health of the Sox franchise better 24 hours ago than I do right now. Flash....I don't think that Arizona is going to pay any of Vazquez's deal. KW is really, really overpaying here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Flash....I don't think that Arizona is going to pay any of Vazquez's deal.  KW is really, really overpaying here.

hey buddy.... then you have no reason to believe that vizciano is a part of the deal because the same source that is reporting him being the other pitcher is also saying that we are getting CASH in return as well..

hush now little baby, dont be afraid, mommas gonna buy you a mocking bird.

67.JPG

WE ARE GETTING MONEY IN THE DEAL!!! YAY!!!

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/m...ports-headlines

In return for Vazquez and money, the White Sox are sending former Yankee Orlando Hernandez, righthanded reliever Luis Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young. The deal is contingent on the players passing physicals. With this move, the World Series champs have upgraded their rotation for next season.
Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
First, I'm sure you mean Garland, not Garcia.  As I said in a PM recently, I honestly liked the health of the Sox franchise better 24 hours ago than I do right now.  Flash....I don't think that Arizona is going to pay any of Vazquez's deal.  KW is really, really overpaying here.

The article that says Viz was in the deal also states we're getting money back. Flash, why are you so quick to bash Kenny? You did this at the deadline too, let him do his thing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
First, I'm sure you mean Garland, not Garcia.  As I said in a PM recently, I honestly liked the health of the Sox franchise better 24 hours ago than I do right now.  Flash....I don't think that Arizona is going to pay any of Vazquez's deal.  KW is really, really overpaying here.

Yeah, I fixed that problem. Typed too quickly and didn't bother to proofread before I posted. :bang

I'll hold out hope the financial details of the trade have yet to be released. We didn't know Vizcaino was included until nearly two hours after intitial news surfaced. If Arizona truly isn't paying ANY portion of Vazquez's deal, then Williams deserves to be heavily criticized. World Series or not, you still have to be a sensible general manager.

EDIT: I didn't notice the link posted above by SSH. Until the exact figures are released, I'll hold judgement.

Edited by Flash Tizzle