Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
And 2008? Will baseball not exist then?

We're not going to outbid anyone for a quality pitcher on the market. Continue to trade pitching and positional prospects season after season, eventually you're going to trade the wrong one and regret it. Our team is becoming expensive. This offseason, it appears we're giving ourselves too many opportunities to regret a certain move.

We need more than McCarthy to advance through the system. In a few years, one of the two scenarios need to occur: continued success for the club to support a higher payroll, thus paying hiking salary of players accordingly; and two, several prospects contributing on the team, which gives the club financial flexibility in other areas. Anderson, Cotts, Jenks, McCarthy is a good start. Winning a World Series obviously helps as well. I just feel our current stock of minor league talent will not be available to contribute in 2007, 2008, when their presence could be beneficial. If the winning subsides, it'd be nice to count on a talent influx.

The sox AA and high a teams were among the best teams in their leagues. Don't they have players that could help in 2007, 2008?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
The sox AA and high a teams were among the best teams in their leagues. Don't they have players that could help in 2007, 2008?

Broadway, Lumsden, Liotta, Tracey(though I'm not high on him) just to name a few. This whole team is virtually together through 07, by 08 we'll have plenty of prospects on the verge. It all makes sense if you think about it and Kenny's 3 year board that he always talks about.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Broadway, Lumsden, Liotta, Tracey(though I'm not high on him) just to name a few.  This whole team is virtually together through 07, by 08 we'll have plenty of prospects on the verge.  It all makes sense if you think about it and Kenny's 3 year board that he always talks about.

The sox have a decent farm system with players that can help in the next few yrs.

And the players KW has traded away haven't panned out. The sox have done well trading their minor leaguers

This is the whole sox staff working together--scouts, minor league coaches and staff, KW and his MLB crew, Ozzie and his staff. They know guys who can help this team and target them. Vazquez seems to be the next guy on that list.

Does anyone remember Vazquez owning us on June 14th last season to the tune of 10 strikeouts? Hawk was especially depressed that day. :P Ironically, El Duque pitched for us that day... and was shellacked. Vizcaino also pitched in the game and gave up 1 ER on 3 hits in 1.0 IP. Marte was also rocked in the game. Pretty weird.

June 14, 2005 Diamondbacks @ Sox box score

June 14, 2005: Diamondbacks @ Sox videos

Edited by SSH2005

This came out of the Trib. I wonder if he's part of the deal?

Arizona also is seeking a center fielder and has inquired about prospects Chris Young and Brian Anderson. Power-hitting infielder Sergio Santos, Arizona's top draft pick in 2002, also is available.

This came out of the Trib.  I wonder if he's part of the deal?

I don't think so. Here's the latest article from the Tribune on the trade:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...i-sportsnew-hed

The White Sox, in a quest to fortify their pitching staff in an escalating free agent market, agreed to a deal late Tuesday night that would bring Javier Vazquez from Arizona in exchange for starting pitcher Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and minor-league outfielder Chris Young.

The trade is subject to all players passing physical examinations, according to a source close to the negotiations. The deal adds more youth to the Sox's staff, although it could bring a financial burden. The Diamondbacks are expected to pick up a portion of Vazquez's salary, which the commissioner's office must approve.

Edited by SSH2005

Wow didn't know Vizcaino was involved. I'm guessing McCarthy is spending a full year in our bullpen now. Look for KW to aqcuire a lefty reliever next. Hopefully Rincon. After that he can then focus on giving extensions to Contreras and AJ P.

Ricardo Rincon already signed with the Cardinals for 2-years, $2.9 million.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 07:01 AM)
Basically official now.

**EdIt: Sorry, I meant Vazquez. Can someone edit?

I love this deal, and yet another bold move for KW. So what does this mean for BMAC?

Edited. But why the need for another thread?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
This must mean that Garland or Count is going to be traded for something.  I just can't see how McCarthy can spend a full year in AAA after what he did in the majors.

A trade will probably happen that will get the Sox some relievers and some top prospects to replenish the farm system.

I really hope the Sox don't get stuck with the full contract since the Yanks are already paying $3 mill a year to the D-backs.

I like it too, since McCarthy can be put into long relief now and get some consistancy going at the major league level, easily replacing Vizciano and/or El Duque.

Cooper obviously thinks he can turn Vazquez around...and I think he can, too. I've seen what Vazquez has, and it's great stuff, however he's inconsistant like Contreras was before last year.

With how many outfield "prospects" we have in the minors, I can care less about Chris Young...we have better available to us that are more major league ready anyway.

Aside from El Duques early season success (which was an anonomly, considering how high his WHIP was), and his post-season success (which was amazing), he was pretty bad during the regular season.

My only concern is the high price of Vazquez...he's due about 24M over the next two years, so unless the Diamonbacks pay some of his salary, I would consider this a wash, however, if the DBacks pay some of his salary, we got the better end of this.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)
This must mean that Garland or Count is going to be traded for something.  I just can't see how McCarthy can spend a full year in AAA after what he did in the majors.

Wouldn't he just be moved to the pen since vizcaino would be gone? Vazquez would take el duque's spot and move into the rotation, and bmac would move into the pen to replace viz.

Well I wanted the White Sox to shake up the bullpen a little bit. I have a deep concern that El Duque's absence may really affect Contreras, and I have no doubt that either Garland or Contreras or Vazquez or Garcia will be dealt before spring training to fill the bullpen void on this team and maybe add a prospect or 2. Losing Chris Young is a killer to me. With Vizcaino and Marte gone, if Timo sticks he's going to have to take on the burden of being Soxtalk's main whipping boy.