Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

"Knowing how Byrnes hasnt "Budged" so they better put together a nice package...I can see Arizona asking for Brian Anderson a top prospect and hopefully Neal Cotts along with Garland"

that is from the mlb.com arizona fan fourm

i almost just about fell out of my chair laughing my ass off

HHAHAHAHAHA

f***ing hysterical.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Does anyone think that Garland does not want to stay?  Maybe this is the crux of the issue?

He is from southern California.  His fiancee is from Hawaii per The Underground.  He knows damn well he can get a great contract after '06, as good as or better than  what the White Sox are offering.

That's believable. And if the Sox were to trade Garland straight up for Vasquez at 10M per year I would think it was a reasonable trade. But Vasquez at 12M per? Or Garland + Young for Vasquez at 12M per? No way.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
"Knowing how Byrnes hasnt "Budged" so they better put together a nice package...I can see Arizona asking for Brian Anderson a top prospect and hopefully Neal Cotts along with Garland"

that is from the mlb.com arizona fan fourm

i almost just about fell out of my chair laughing my ass off

HHAHAHAHAHA

f***ing hysterical.

Arizona has Cub fans too, I see.

For a right fielder?  Owens and Sweeney don't project to have much power.  Of course, it's not like the Sox have a great track record of developing players into stars anyways.

You say Sweeney doesn't project for power, others say differently. Lefthanded hitting, high average, great defense, great arm ... I am quite certain he's penned in on that 3 yr. board of KW's.

They don't need power out of a leadoff hitter. Podsednik is under their control for one more year. I see Owens sliding into that spot easily, he is almost ready now.

Chris Young is high impact, they love him. He is, arguably, a year away.

Timeline sure is interesting. Garland turns down a 3 year deal, all of a sudden the White Sox are pushing to get Vazquez. Shocking.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Let me add this.

Assuming Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney and Jerry Owens are as good as Guillen has said, why do you need Brian Anderson after 2006?

Of the group, only Young I think has the ability to play above average defense in CF. If Young has a great season at AAA this year, then maybe you can trade BA. But if you trade Anderson now, the Sox need a new CF for 2006.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Of the group, only Young I think has the ability to play above average defense in CF. If Young has a great season at AAA this year, then maybe you can trade BA. But if you trade Anderson now, the Sox need a new CF for 2006.

Has Carl Everett signed with Seattle yet?

If I'm not mistaken, Owens has major question marks defensively.

Guillen raved about his play in winter ball, so who knows. He profiles best as a LF though, but he can play CF.

Don't forget about Mackowiak being able to play some CF too.

Edited by JimH

Deege (Champaign)

Rumor has it that the White Sox are on the verge of making a deal with the D-Backs to acquire Javier Vazquez. A bit puzzling, since Ozzie Guillen wanted to leave his pitching staff untouched. Do you see this deal going down? Thanks.

JERRY CRASNICK

Deege,The White Sox don't seem like the most logical landing spot for Vazquez, but I did hear some rumblings about that at the winter meetings in Dallas. Kenny Williams likes to make big moves, and that one would surely qualify.

He does. And there are some scouts who think Anderson has question marks defensively especially in CF. KW seems to think otherwise, at least in the case of Anderson.

The question marks are arm strength and route running.

The route running issue supposedly has improved. Guillen raved about the guy, he is making the calls basically, so that's good enough for me.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
He was great the first half of 2004, and then the roof caved in. I'm pretty sure his ERA was well over 6.00 the second half of 2004 with the Yankees.

And why do we want to take a chance with a guy like this? The Loaiza for Contreras deal was not a 'big' risk. But trading a sure thing in Garland for a question mark is scary. Even if it is the last year of his deal. Just ride the wave to another title and go from there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The only reason Jon-Jon had a career year last year was the vastly improved defense. By the team not giving up extra outs, Jon was able to stay away from those huge innings he gave up in years past.

That being said, the defense will still be solid next year, even with the subtraction of Rowand from CF, meaning Jon will be a stud pitcher again next year. But if he gets shipped off to the D-Backs, I doubt he'll be as successful.

Overall, I like the trade. Sure, the "Jon not willing to sign long-term" is a reason. But its mostly because I have a massive hard-on for Javy and those damn K's of his. Most likely, because he led my fantasy team to a championship that stud season of his years ago.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
And why do we want to take a chance with a guy like this? The Loaiza for Contreras deal was not a 'big' risk. But trading a sure thing in Garland for a question mark is scary. Even if it is the last year of his deal. Just ride the wave to another title and go from there.

Even though I always had the opinion the Graland was "on the verge" and the fact that he appeared to come into his own this year, I don't consider garland a sure thing. His second half gives me slight pause.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)

And in 2007 you have if you lose Jon and Jose due to FA.

Buerhle

Garcia

Bmac

?

?

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
The question marks are arm strength and route running.

The route running issue supposedly has improved.  Guillen raved about the guy, he is making the calls basically, so that's good enough for me.

Arm strength for Anderson? I thought his arm is supposed to be much, much, much better than Rowand's arm was this season.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The only reason Jon-Jon had a career year last year was the vastly improved defense. By the team not giving up extra outs, Jon was able to stay away from those huge innings he gave up in years past.

Jon had a career year because he drastically improved his control. Not only did he walk fewer batters, but he also didn't leave as many meatballs over the heart of the plate.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
:banghead

07?

if we get vazquez?

uhhhh

bmack...mark.....garcia.....vazquez....and resign contreras

I cleared it up. I was saying if we stay put and try and resign Jose and Jon and fail at both. Remember the price tag on pitching is silly now.