Cubs might have interest in Jacque Jones for RF

SSH2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp

All was quiet on the Miguel Tejada front Monday, at least as far as the Cubs were concerned.

The superstar shortstop spent the weekend trying to make nice with the Baltimore Orioles after reportedly saying he wanted to be traded because he was tired of the losing situation there.

The Cubs still need a right fielder. General manager Jim Hendry hasn’t been able to swing a trade — Milton Bradley from the Los Angeles Dodgers seems a dim possibility now — so Hendry may turn to the free-agent market.

One name on Hendry’s radar screen is Jacque Jones, who has spent his seven-year career with the Minnesota Twins. Jones made $5 million this year, and Hendry has had recent exploratory talks with Jones’ agents.

The 30-year-old Jones’ numbers in 2005 were similar to those of Jeromy Burnitz, who played right field for the Cubs. In 142 games with the Twins, Jones batted .249 with 23 home runs, 73 RBI, an on-base percentage of .319 and 120 strikeouts in 523 at-bats.

Burnitz, 36, batted .258 with 24 homers, 87 RBI, an OBP of .322 and 109 strikeouts in 605 at-bats for the Cubs.

The Cubs have liked Jones in the past but never were able to pull off a trade with the Twins.

The Dodgers don’t seem inclined to move Bradley to the Cubs, and multiplayer trades with teams such as Tampa Bay (right fielder Aubrey Huff and shortstop Julio Lugo) and Texas (outfielder Kevin Mench) haven’t taken shape.

In other news, the Cubs will introduce new leadoff man Juan Pierre to the media Wednesday during a Wrigley Field news conference.

The Cubs obtained Pierre last week at the winter meetings in a trade with the Florida Marlins. Hendry gave up pitcher Sergio Mitre and pitching prospects Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Isn't he basically the same player as Jeromy Burnitz?  All right,  with a little bit more speed.

I think he's a better fielder...but he played in the dome. Wrigley wind might be a problem.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Isn't he basically the same player as Jeromy Burnitz?  All right,  with a little bit more speed.

Yeah but Jones is a great defender with more speed than burnitz. I also think he will put up better numbers in Wrigley, like fathom said. I think this would be a good pickup for the cubs, an OF of Murton-Pierre-Jones isn't all that bad when you consider their stacked IF. But still the cubs will go nowhere unless thier pitching holds up, so I wouldn't worry.

I like Jones but you really need to spot him. His numbers went down the last two years when Gardenhire couldn't hide him for certain pitchers because of injuries to Hunter, Stewart etal.

You pick the right guy and he's superman, but some he can't hit with a broom. Last year he hit .340 against Garland and .037 against Buerhle. (They gave him the ball when he finally got a hit against MB).

Dusty has never show a talent for recognizing, much less exploiting, match ups. He just gets his group and sends them out there day after day and blames the player when they fail.