Favorite Place on Earth

Texsox

I was just looking at my backpack and thinking I need to get away for a while. That got me thinking to where and my favorite places I've been. State Street and the North Shore suburbs, at Christmas, Buckingham Fountain in summer, The Cell, South Padre Island, and a whole bunch more come to mind, but . . .

I want to be in the Chisos Mountains, in Big Bend at my favorite primitive campsite. It is about a four hour hike with full packs. Link

It is my favorite place on earth partly because of the remoteness, the mountains all around, the views into Texas and Mexico, the deer running through the campsite, the possibility of seeing a mountain lion or bear, that I first visited the place with my son, that the only way to experience it is to sweat and climb 1,600 feet from base camp, that our country is rich enough to set aside an area like this as a National Park, the billion more stars one sees away from any artificial lights, and a whole lot more that resonates with me.

What's your favorite spot on earth?

Oh, see, now you've got me distracted the rest of the day. So much for concentrating on work.

Favorite place on earth...

In a canoe, on Lake MacKenzie, Quetico Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada.

or maybe...

sitting on my pack on Hummingbird Saddle, Gila Wilderness Area, New Mexico

or even...

wandering aimlessly around Salisbury, U.K.

But more than likely, I'll have to go with the answer given by kapkomet...

I haven't been there yet.

The arctic circle marker and shopping mall just north of Rovaniemi Finland. The weirdness and kind of surrealness of it makes me think about it.

Christania, Copenhagen, Denmark.

Relax Art Garden, Berlin Germany.

Asbury Lanes, Asbury Park NJ.

Blue Danube, Columbus OH.

US Cellular Field, Chicago IL.

The Glasgow Cathedral

The hills of County Kerry

The park area around the Walker in Minneapolis

The park in the middle of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Mont Royal in Montreal

The field out behind my grandparents farm

Northfield, MN

Upper deck at USCF

Lake Geneva, WI

The beaches along the Gold Coast

Hilton Head was awesome.

My Uncle's farm is the other place. It's a number of acres next to a state park that he has just let go, aside from planting a few corn plots, trees and prarie grasses. It's just so serene and cool. I've got instructions from my dad to never let it leave the extended family either.

Nantucket Island

My parent's place in Texas

My grandmother's house in Brentwood, CA off of Sunset.

The square in Tequisquiapan, Mexico

The trocodero in Phily for just about any band.

San Antonio's riverwalk.

The Reed Center at Texas A&M. I love Big 12 basketball (even if we lose)

anywhere Miss PA is... :lol: I know. extra cheese

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
U.P. of michigan during the winter.  3 feet of snow all th time and can snowmobile nonstop.

YES! The Upper Peninsula is my favorite place in the world. I love it!

Oh, and nice avy...

Edited by SoxFan1

Trevi Fountain in Rome.

Anywhere in the San Francisco Area.

The mouth of the Russian River.

Pat o'Briens in New Orleans.

Cape Cod.

Anywhere in Chicago (yes, including Wrigley).

Home in Austin.

Whistler, BC.

A craps table in Vegas.

Hyde Park in London.

Lincoln Park Zoo. Where else can you walk to work and see a hippopotamus on the way?

On the Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg, Austria.

The Sex Museum in Amsterdam (hee, hee).

And...Delaware. Dover is the bomb.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Trevi Fountain in Rome.

Anywhere in the San Francisco Area.

The mouth of the Russian River.

Pat o'Briens in New Orleans.

Cape Cod.

Anywhere in Chicago (yes, including Wrigley).

Home in Austin.

Whistler, BC.

A craps table in Vegas.

Hyde Park in London.

Lincoln Park Zoo.  Where else can you walk to work and see a hippopotamus on the way?

On the Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg, Austria.

The Sex Museum in Amsterdam (hee, hee).

And...Delaware.  Dover is the bomb.

Go away.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Oh, see, now you've got me distracted the rest of the day.  So much for concentrating on work.

Favorite place on earth...

In a canoe, on Lake MacKenzie, Quetico Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada.

or maybe...

sitting on my pack on Hummingbird Saddle, Gila Wilderness Area, New Mexico

or even...

wandering aimlessly around Salisbury, U.K.

But more than likely, I'll have to go with the answer given by kapkomet...

I haven't been there yet.

I have both Quetico and Gila on my life list. I will probably do boundary waters from the Northern Tier Boy Scout Camp in the next couple years. Gila may be more of a stretch.

How many days were you out at Gila? Is water an issue, or do you have to carry it all? How was the elevation? I live at about 22 feet above sea level, 10,000 feet will be thin air for me. When my son was at Philmont this summer in New Mexico, the 8,000 peaks kicked their butts a bit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
I have both Quetico and Gila on my life list. I will probably do boundary waters from the Northern Tier Boy Scout Camp in the next couple years. Gila may be more of a stretch.

How many days were you out at Gila? Is water an issue, or do you have to carry it all? How was the elevation? I live at about 22 feet above sea level, 10,000 feet will be thin air for me. When my son was at Philmont this summer in New Mexico, the 8,000 peaks kicked their butts a bit.

A man after my own heart!

Do Quetico. It's like the Boundary Waters, only a lot more secluded, no motorboats allowed (BWCA allows small motors on some lakes), better fishing, more peace and quiet. You can start from the BWCAW side and paddle across the border (but you need permits for Quetico, and a Backcountry Access permit from Canadian Customs).

Gila, surprisingly, has water. A fair amount of it. We hiked a circuit from the Mogollon Road that took us around the Gila Wilderness area, and we used various springs and creeks - never had to carry more than a day's worth of water. A good USGS quad, or good mapping software (like MapTech Terrain Navigator) will show the springs, and I think the Gila NF map will too. The Black Range area of Gila, further east in the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Area, is drier and has less water, but is also spectacular.

If you want any info or details on either one, just PM me. I'll happily let you in on some good secret spots, good trails and circuits, etc.

Also, if you want to see some pictures of Quetico or Gila, here is a link:

http://www.middleofsomewhere.com/main.asp?sec=diaries

Just clock the camera icon next to any of the Quetico trips, or the one Gila trip.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

A couple of the things that has slowed down my checking off from the life list is the remoteness of the Rio Grande Valley. Everything is a two hop plane ride. An hour or two to Dallas or Houston, than wherever. AL though I've gotten over my headache of the new restrictions the airlines have on stoves, fuels, etc.

The second factor is I'm out with my Boy Scout Troop once a month and my Venturing Crew once a month, so I have to plan trips that are possible for either 11-17 year old boys or 14-20 year old coed crew. The Venturing Crew has a couple girls that are really excited about backpacking. The boys in the Troop love the 15 pound Dutch ovens and giant tents.

My next spot is the Guadalupe Mountains and the highest spot in Texas. There is also a new wilderness area near the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico called Double H Ranch. No established campsites or routes. All very strict LNT backpacking. I am fairly certain to be spending two weeks there in 2007.

I also added the Continental Divide Trail to my list, and I'm hoping to start hiking sections of it next year.