Favorite Place on Earth

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
A couple of the things that has slowed down my checking off from the life list is the remoteness of the Rio Grande Valley. Everything is a two hop plane ride. An hour or two to Dallas or Houston, than wherever. AL though I've gotten over my headache of the new restrictions the airlines have on stoves, fuels, etc.

The second factor is I'm out with my Boy Scout Troop once a month and my Venturing Crew once a month, so I have to plan trips that are possible for either 11-17 year old boys or 14-20 year old coed crew. The Venturing Crew has a couple girls that are really excited about backpacking. The boys in the Troop love the 15 pound Dutch ovens and giant tents.

My next spot is the Guadalupe Mountains and the highest spot in Texas. There is also a new wilderness area near the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico called Double H Ranch. No established campsites or routes. All very strict LNT backpacking. I am fairly certain to be spending two weeks there in 2007.

I also added the Continental Divide Trail to my list, and I'm hoping to start hiking sections of it next year.

The Continental Divide trail has some fascinating and beautiful views of more "modern" mountains, but the Appalachian Trail through the Smokies is breathtaking as well in its own right.

When researching and selecting one of America's Long Trails to add I looked at ease of getting there, months of good weather, etc.

The Appalachian has name recognition and you are correct some killer views. It also has some of the most difficult climbs. Not enough room for knee relieving switchbacks.

Pacific Crest Trail was too difficult to get to from a trailhead perspective.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
When researching and selecting one of America's Long Trails to add I looked at ease of getting there, months of good weather, etc.

The Appalachian has name recognition and you are correct some killer views. It also has some of the most difficult climbs. Not enough room for knee relieving switchbacks.

Pacific Crest Trail was too difficult to get to from a trailhead perspective.

The AT is gorgeous, just as the CDT and PCT, in different ways. Or the Ice Age trail for that matter.

But for pure granduer, and challenge, I'll take the CDT. The number of people who finish the CDT in a given year is less that 10. You'll be alone or nearly alone for two-thirds of it. The AT is, at times, like a superhighway of hikers.