Milton Bradley traded to the A's

Rowand44

This is from an A's blog, I'm not sure if it's a credible source or not but anyways:

This deal will be announced in the next hour. The A's get Milton Bradley and Antonio Perez for prospect Andre Ethier. Looks like a great deal for the A's. Billy has done it again. But it raises a few questions. One, what does this mean for Frank Thomas possibly signing? What does Bradley coming to the A's mean for Jay Payton. What does Perez mean for Marco Scutaro? Great deal if you ask me.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5164460

The Dodgers have traded outfielder Milton Bradley to the A's for one of Oakland's top minor-league prospects, FOXSports.com has learned.

Oakland will likely use Bradley in one of the two corner outfield positions, with Mark Kotsay manning center and Nick Swisher likely going to first base.

The Cubs and Pirates had been among the teams interested in Bradley, even though the temperamental player's two-year tenure in Los Angeles had been marked by off-the-field incidents, not to mention one major on-the-field one.

Bradley was suspended during the 2004 season for an altercation with a hometown fan who'd thrown a plastic beer bottle at the Dodgers outfielder during a game. Bradley walked over to the stands, yelled at the fan and threw the bottle back into the crowd.

In 2005, Bradley had a run-in with teammate Jeff Kent in which he questioned the second baseman's leadership and said it stemmed from Kent's inability to "deal with African-American people."

Other incidents during Bradley's short stint in L.A. reportedly included three visits from the police for alleged domestic-violence incidents and a verbal altercation with a Los Angeles Times reporter, in which he called the writer an "Uncle Tom."

Bradley had met with Dusty Baker on Dec. 6 in an attempt on the Cubs manager's part to gauge whether the outfielder was worth the risk.

Bradley is coming off a season that saw him play in just 75 games and ended with knee surgery. But before being hurt, Bradley was hitting .290 with 13 homers and 38 RBIs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
So does this deal signalize no Frank to Oakland?  If Swisher is moving to first base then I assume Dan Johnson will Dh meaning no room for Frank.

I'd have to imagine so...unless Beane has something else up his sleeve.

I am probably one of the few who likes Bradley...he has a questionable on the field attitude, and a questionable opinion...but he reminds me a bit of Carl Everett. In fact, I might say that he reminds me a lot of Carl Everett. Fiery and sometimes outlandish personality, the occasional dumb on the field incident, but he appears to have a huge desire to win. I like the move for the A's atleast in the short term, assuming it's not a huge prospect they are giving up.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I'd have to imagine so...unless Beane has something else up his sleeve.

I am probably one of the few who likes Bradley...he has a questionable on the field attitude, and a questionable opinion...but he reminds me a bit of Carl Everett.  In fact, I might say that he reminds me a lot of Carl Everett.  Fiery and sometimes outlandish personality, the occasional dumb on the field incident, but he appears to have a huge desire to win.  I like the move for the A's atleast in the short term, assuming it's not a huge prospect they are giving up.

I like Bradley the player as well but he's much different then Carl. Carl really had one bad incident that has stuck with him, Bradley has had incident after incident including clubhouse problems which Carl never had.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
That is even worse. That signals Frank to Minnesota or Frank to Cleveland.

Here is a link (from Dec 6th) saying that Frank is close to signing with the A's (per Gammons), but it also says that the A's are unlikely to get Bradley, so go figure:

http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/2005/12/6/15938/6250

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Jay Payton then goes.....

Trade, maybe?

New York could use a CFer who has lots of range. I'm sure there's a decent offer out there somewhere for an OFer with very good defense and a decent stick. He's making something like $4 million this year, so it's not a huge contract.

I'm just thinking they want to keep the DH spot open for a guy like Thomas.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
It is official.  The Oakland A's are sraping the bottom of the barrel.

Bottom Feeders Club

Pirates, D-Rays, Royals, Rockies

New 2006 Members

Marlins, A's

:huh: The A's have to be the favorites as of right now to win the West so I have no clue what you're talking about.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
:huh:  The A's have to be the favorites as of right now to win the West so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Then I will mail you a check for $1 to buy a clue.

In the last year (approx) they traded, Mulder Hudson, lost Giambi and Tejada in previous years ... and replaced them with some great pitching prospects and Jay Payton, Bradley, Kendall ... :puke Loiza. Favorite?? I think the Angels are a pretty dam good team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
So does this deal signalize no Frank to Oakland?  If Swisher is moving to first base then I assume Dan Johnson will Dh meaning no room for Frank.

For all we know though, Beane could be figuring that Thomas may get only 200-250 at bats, and he needs someone to be able to play a couple positions to cover the remainder (that would be an intelligent assumption, btw). Oh, and Frank is still not going to Cleveland no matter how many people say it. That'd be like saying Boston is going to sign Frank to DH.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Look at what the Cubs gave up for Pierre.  Now, look at what the A's gave up for Bradley.  And now, he appears to have interest in Jock Jones.  Hendry is a horrible GM.

But what would Bradley do the first time a Cub fan tries to grab his hat? You think it was ugly last time...