Milton Bradley traded to the A's

Rowand44

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Then I will mail you a check for $1 to buy a clue.

In the last year (approx) they traded, Mulder Hudson, lost  Giambi and Tejada in previous years ... and replaced them with some great pitching prospects and Jay Payton, Bradley, Kendall ...  :puke  Loiza.  Favorite?? I think the Angels are a pretty dam good team.

They have a top 3 rotation in the AL, a dominate end of the bullpen and a decent lineup. They wont win the series I will guarantee you that, and they probably won't get out of the first round but right now they have to be the favorites to win the West considering the Angels have definitely regressed.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
the Angels have definitely regressed.

Because nobody has signed with them? Vlad had a bad ALCS. Anderson had a down year. Colon was hurt in the ALCS. At worst, they will be just as good as last season. I would not overlook the Angel just because we beat them in 5 games in the playoffs. They still have to be the team to beat. Mark it down on your calendar. As of 12/13/05 you have the A's, I'll take the Angels. Barring some assinine trade by either team, I have you locked in.

That aside, my point in calling them bottom feeders was not to imply that the A's will suck as much as it implies they are acquiring some less than desirable person, ie Milton Bradley. The test for me is that I would not want him in the Sox club house. However, I think he could have been a great new cancer in the Cub's dugout.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
From rotoworld:

The A's have acquired Milton Bradley from the Dodgers for one of their top prospects, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Does that make them a winner at the game of LIFE?

Or is this just a clever play at RISK?

Who knows? Perhaps the HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Because nobody has signed with them?  Vlad had a bad ALCS.  Anderson had a down year.  Colon was hurt in the ALCS.  At worst, they will be just as good as last season.  I would not overlook the Angel just because we beat them in 5 games in the playoffs.  They still have to be the team to beat.  Mark it down on your calendar.  As of 12/13/05 you have the A's, I'll take the Angels.  Barring some assinine trade by either team, I have you locked in.

Losing two of their better starters from last year in Washburn and Byrd is what I was referring to as well as losing Molina.

EDIT: By the way, dont put me down for any predictions yet, I said as of right now the A's should be the favorites. That being said, there is still plenty of time left in the offseason for the Angels to make some moves.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Because nobody has signed with them?  Vlad had a bad ALCS.  Anderson had a down year.  Colon was hurt in the ALCS.  At worst, they will be just as good as last season.  I would not overlook the Angel just because we beat them in 5 games in the playoffs.  They still have to be the team to beat.  Mark it down on your calendar.  As of 12/13/05 you have the A's, I'll take the Angels.  Barring some assinine trade by either team, I have you locked in.

That aside, my point in calling them bottom feeders was not to imply that the A's will suck as much as it implies they are acquiring some less than desirable person, ie Milton Bradley.  The test for me is that I would not want him in the Sox club house.  However, I think he could have been a great new cancer in the Cub's dugout.

The Angels have definately regressed...as of right now. They have a worse catcher (Jose Molina instead of Bengie Molina), still a gaping hole with not even a warm body @ DH, they've lost 2 starting pitchers and only have Ervin Santana available to replace them.

On the other hand...this is a situation which could turn around very fast. I'm thinking mroe and more that Molina may well wind up accepting arbitration and end up with the Angels for another year, since the Mets already have a catcher and they were the ones that this year's catcher crop was holding out for. Furthermore, they still have Dallas McPherson @ 3rd base, and he was starting to show signs of big-league promise last year before he was hurt. They also have youth available to fill holes. For all we know Finley or Anderson could have a better season next year if they're healthy.

And then of course, they're still the big variable...the trade request from Manny.

Don't count the Angels out as regressing yet. They have a ton of young talent, including pitching talent that they could pull into the big leagues, they have tons of people they could trade, and they have a ton of money to spend.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Losing two of their better  starters from last year in Washburn and Byrd is what I was referring to.

EDIT: By the way, dont put me down for any predictions yet, I said as of right now the A's should be the favorites. That being said, there is still plenty of time left in the offseason for the Angels to make some moves.

Byrd and Washburn are replacable. Washburn may yet come back.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
On the other hand...this is a situation which could turn around very fast.  I'm thinking mroe and more that Molina may well wind up accepting arbitration and end up with the Angels for another year,

For some idiotic reason the Angels did not offer Molina arbitration so he's gone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
The Angels have definately regressed...as of right now.  They have a worse catcher (Jose Molina instead of Bengie Molina), still a gaping hole with not even a warm body @ DH, they've lost 2 starting pitchers and only have Ervin Santana available to replace them.

On the other hand...this is a situation which could turn around very fast.  I'm thinking mroe and more that Molina may well wind up accepting arbitration and end up with the Angels for another year, since the Mets already have a catcher and they were the ones that this year's catcher crop was holding out for.  Furthermore, they still have Dallas McPherson @ 3rd base, and he was starting to show signs of big-league promise last year before he was hurt.  They also have youth available to fill holes.  For all we know Finley or Anderson could have a better season next year if they're healthy.

And then of course, they're still the big variable...the trade request from Manny.

Don't count the Angels out as regressing yet.  They have a ton of young talent, including pitching talent that they could pull into the big leagues, they have tons of people they could trade, and they have a ton of money to spend.

Good Post. The Angels scare me more than the Yanks or Red Sox at this point.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
The Angels have definately regressed...as of right now.  They have a worse catcher (Jose Molina instead of Bengie Molina), still a gaping hole with not even a warm body @ DH, they've lost 2 starting pitchers and only have Ervin Santana available to replace them.

On the other hand...this is a situation which could turn around very fast.  I'm thinking mroe and more that Molina may well wind up accepting arbitration and end up with the Angels for another year, since the Mets already have a catcher and they were the ones that this year's catcher crop was holding out for.  Furthermore, they still have Dallas McPherson @ 3rd base, and he was starting to show signs of big-league promise last year before he was hurt.  They also have youth available to fill holes.  For all we know Finley or Anderson could have a better season next year if they're healthy.

Don't count the Angels out as regressing yet.  They have a ton of young talent, including pitching talent that they could pull into the big leagues, they have tons of people they could trade, and they have a ton of money to spend.

The Angels didn't offer Molina arbitration and they are going to be bad next year.

Just to add something else. Bradley can easily play CF, which would make Kotsay even more expendable (especially with him signed at 7-8 mill a year the next couple seasons).

He does have a no trade clause which would have to be waived, which to me would be the only hold up. Kotsay on the market makes sense and he would definately fit in with the Sox.

The general idea I get is that Kenny isn't in the mood to rely on a couple guys developing when he's trying to defend the world title. Right now he wants good guys (that are signed and going to be around a couple more years, but they are proven) and Vazquez, Kotsay, Thome they all fit this bill.

Just to add something else.  Bradley can easily play CF, which would make Kotsay even more expendable (especially with him signed at 7-8 mill a year the next couple seasons). 

He does have a no trade clause which would have to be waived, which to me would be the only hold up.  Kotsay on the market makes sense and he would definately fit in with the Sox. 

The general idea I get is that Kenny isn't in the mood to rely on a couple guys developing when he's trying to defend the world title.  Right now he wants good guys (that are signed and going to be around a couple more years, but they are proven) and Vazquez, Kotsay, Thome they all fit this bill.

Indeed. They could go with an outfield of Nick Swisher in LF, Milton Bradley in CF, and Jay Payton in RF.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Indeed.  They could go with an outfield of Nick Swisher in LF, Milton Bradley in CF, and Jay Payton in RF.

And the Big Hurt at DH (cause if they keep all of these guys, then it makes no sense for them to sign Big Frank).

Well, plus I think if they made a deal with the Sox they may have interest in Sween or Anderson (probably Anderson). Think payroll reasons too.

And the Big Hurt at DH (cause if they keep all of these guys, then it makes no sense for them to sign Big Frank). 

Well, plus I think if they made a deal with the Sox they may have interest in Sween or Anderson (probably Anderson).  Think payroll reasons too.

Yep, Dan Johnson at 1B and Frank at DH.