Bears CUT Bobby Wade!!!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Yeah, but if Angelo didn't think he could be a damn good PR for us in the future, he never would have used a 5th round pick on him. Comming out of Arizona, if he were strickly a possession reciever he would have gone in the 7th or undrafted.

Technically speaking he was a good return man (up until the past couple weeks he was tops in the NFC in return avg). Problem is he can't hold onto the ball.

Wade didn't return a punt his first two seasons, he was drafted to be a WR and it turned out he just couldn't hack it. It happens to dozens of guys every year. I'm sure they thought he might be able to return, but its not like he excelled

No one thought he could outrun everybody coming out of college but he was considered a guy with great quickness and good hands. While he is quick his hands are average and he is weak with the ball.

I'm not sure whats up with the comment that if he was drafted to be a possession reciever he would be drafted 7th round or undrafted. Possession recievers aren't like kickers, they can be vitally important, even pro bowl players.

We drafted a pretty good possession WR in the 2nd round out of Penn State a few years back.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
I'm not worried about the depth at wr.  We've got Moose,  Gage,  Berrian and Currie.

Besides the fact that he is on IR, what has Airese Curry done to give you faith in the depth at WR? Just curious.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Wade didn't return a punt his first two seasons, he was drafted to be a WR and it turned out he just couldn't hack it.  It happens to dozens of guys every year.  I'm sure they thought he might be able to return, but its not like he excelled

No one thought he could outrun everybody coming out of college but he was considered a guy with great quickness and good hands.  While he is quick his hands are average and he is weak with the ball.

I'm not sure whats up with the comment that if he was drafted to be a possession reciever he would be drafted 7th round or undrafted.  Possession recievers aren't like kickers, they can be vitally important, even pro bowl players.

We drafted a pretty good possession WR in the 2nd round out of Penn State a few years back.

Wade didn't return a punt his first two seasons becuase we had Rdub back there who was a stud PR. We let McQuarters go and Wade was to step in, this is why we drafted him. Wade was supposed to be the PR of the future for the Bears but it turned out that he can't hold onto the damn ball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Wade didn't return a punt his first two seasons becuase we had Rdub back there who was a stud PR. We let McQuarters go and Wade was to step in, this is why we drafted him. Wade was supposed to be the PR of the future for the Bears but it turned out that he can't hold onto the damn ball.

IIRC, he fumbled the first punt he ever saw in the NFL when the 49ers shellacked the bears 49-7 a few years back. That was our warning, we missed it.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
But, but, but...one of the Fox broadcasters referred to him as being amongst the league's elite return-men.

Well, he is if you look at yardage, but that is assuming he actually hold onto the ball. Hence hy he was cut....the whole holding onto the abll thing!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
IIRC, he fumbled the first punt he ever saw in the NFL when the 49ers shellacked the bears 49-7 a few years back.  That was our warning, we missed it.

Please, never ever ever speak of that game. My buddy and I had the great idea of driving 7 hr's to San Fran to see that game. My god what a whooping we saw.

Please sign Peerless Price. Please sign Peerless Price. Please sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price. Please Sign Peerless Price.

HMMM 31 other teams passed.. and you want us to sign him.. NO thanks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)

He was drafted to play WR. No one has or ever will be drafted to be exlusively a punt returner except only in a few years down the line. Wade returned punts this year because he returned a kick for a TD against Indy in preseason (that didnt even win him the job). He wasn't even activated for week 1 against Wash then week 2 he returned another for a TD which bought him about 9 fumbles before he lost the return job. If he was meant to just step in after RW left there wouldn't have been a big and close battle for the job in preseason and he wouldn't have lost it even with a return for TD. Ultimately he was cut because his play as a WR didn't warrant a spot on the team if he wasn't going to contribute on special teams

RW didn't return every punt the last two years and we didn't put Wade out there when RW wasn't nor would he be considered the #2 punt returner The few times he didn't return Berrian was back there. Teams will always take a prospects possible return abilities into consideration, but Wade was drafted to be an NFL reciever first and return if he happened to ever win that job.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Besides the fact that he is on IR, what has Airese Curry done to give you faith in the depth at WR?  Just curious.

I heard he's ready to go. He's done nothing to this point, obviously. I know the dude can fly. I'm just not broken up about losing Wade. He has butterfinger hands as a punt returner and wasn't much of a wr at all. But like I said, we could have Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss, with Orton at qb, it wouldn't matter.