Good or Bad Trade?

kevin57

Is the El Duque/Viz/Young for Vazquez Trade a good or bad move?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is the El Duque/Viz/Young for Vazquez Trade a good or bad move?

• Great Move
    • I'll wait and see
    • Terrible Trade

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Viz is pretty replaceable, especially now that it appears Hermy's rehab is going well.

El Duque was an extra cog, and wasn't going to be reliable. Would have been ideal (although pricey) as a long relief guy, but he wouldn't be happy there.

Shame about Young, though.

Really, it's about the money. If we get $4M+ back from ARZ (to effectively make Vazquez' salary 8.5M), then I'm good with it. If no money comes through, then I'm not happy.

Thing is, I think there's another deal in the wings here. Someone else is going to be moved for a LHRP.

I'll wait and see.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
If we get $4M+ back from ARZ (to effectively make Vazquez' salary 8.5M), then I'm good with it.  If no money comes through, then I'm not happy.

I can't provide a source, but I heard we'll be getting $5M in the deal.

Way too soon on this one. Very similar to the Thome deal BEFORE Paulie resigned.

Right now I would say this is a terrible move based off what the Sox had and needed right now. Vazquez is overpaid and overrated. I never liked Vizcaino, but I thought giving him up with El Duque would have been enough. When you throw in Young, then the D-Backs made out like bandits. They were going to have to trade Vazquez anyway, so while in that situation they get El Duque, Vizcaino, and Young, and unload Vazquez's big contract is pretty huge.

The only thing I can think of is that KW is going to use Vazquez (wants to be closer to PR) or Garland as trade bait for Tampa Bay's Crawford. If that happens hopefully the Sox could get a prospect or reliever as well making the net effect:

(+)

Add - Crawford, prospect/reliever

Keep - Garland/Vazquez

(-)

Lose - El Duque, Vizcaino, Young, Garland/Vazquez

Edited by WinninUgly

I think the bigger issue is that this deal signals that one of our starters is going somewhere, and it's probably Garland. B-Mac is pretty much untouchable because he is our only cheap starter, and Contreras isn't going to net as much because he's old. Garland (or I supposed Vazquez, but he wasn't that hot a commodity) almost has to be used to acquire a big bat and/or a solid reliever, otherwise this deal makes no sense whatsoever.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Then I think the deal is pretty good.

You're serious?

In your opinion, Javier Vazquez is worth El Duque, the sixth starter of sorts, Vizcaino, a contributing member of the bullpen, Chris Young, on pace to be this teams staple in CF beginning as early as 2007, and $5M cash?

I suppose the logical thing to do here would be wait until Kenny's plan is executed to its completion, but, knee-jerk reaction: just don't like it.

Naturally, I'll still devote as much of my "fandom" to this club as ever before. We all know this.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
I can't provide a source, but I heard we'll be getting $5M in the deal.

The way that Brian Dolgin keeps wording it on the Sportscenter update, it sounds like the Sox are sending $5M to Arizona. Which makes zero sense.

Wait and see. More moves need to be made to solidify the team now. We CAN have a much better team if the correct moves are made after this. If KW has 2-3 moves up his sleeve with this being the first one, I think we will all look back on this and think it's a good move. However, until these moves are done, I will reserve judgement. If no moves are done, I'd not too excited by this move.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
The way that Brian Dolgin keeps wording it on the Sportscenter update, it sounds like the Sox are sending $5M to Arizona. Which makes zero sense.

That would be horrible. I really hope it is the other way around.

The news posts about it say D-Backs give up Vazquez and cash for El Duqe, Viz, and Young.

You're serious?

In your opinion, Javier Vazquez is worth El Duque, the sixth starter of sorts, Vizcaino, a contributing member of the bullpen, Chris Young, on pace to be this teams staple in CF beginning as early as 2007, and $5M cash?

I suppose the logical thing to do here would be wait until Kenny's plan is executed to its completion, but, knee-jerk reaction: just don't like it.

Naturally, I'll still devote as much of my "fandom" to this club as ever before.  We all know this.

El Duque was awful last season and was due to earn $4.5 million + incentives in 2006. It's shocking to me that we were able to dump him. Vizcaino was mediocre to bad with a 1.47 WHIP last season and could be easily replaced by a myriad of last arm in the bullpen options. Chris Young is the only player of good value that we lost. And I'm pretty sure that Dolgin is wrong about the $5 million. The online reports have Arizona sending us money in the deal.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
You're serious?

Naturally, I'll still devote as much of my "fandom" to this club as ever before.  We all know this.

We are talking about a pitcher we didn't want, the last right hander out of our pen, and a good prospect with an ETA of 2007 who plays a position that we have 3 other legitimate prospects, 2 knocking on the majors door, that we traded. Hernandez was worthless to us, Vizcaino is easily replacable. Young is the only one who MIGHT hurt, and that won't be for a while. Yes this deal is a winner for the Sox.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
You're serious?

Yes, I'm serious.

Yes, I think a guy who at worst is a solid #5 starter and at best could be huge is at least equal to El Duque (5.11, 4329857438 years old and injured a lot), Vizcaino (a decent middle reliever but nothing special) and an OF prospect (when we have Anderson, Owens and Sweeney in the wings). This is true to me, as long as we get that cash (because Vazquez is not a $12.5M pitcher).

Yes, I think another deal is coming, probably involving Garland, making Vazquez all the more important.

I figured you'd not really be sacrificing your support of the team, dude. I was just surprised at your post that sounded otherwise.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
El Duque was awful last season and was due to earn $4.5 million + incentives in 2006.  It's shocking to me that we were able to dump him.  Vizcaino was mediocre to bad with a 1.47 WHIP last season and could be easily replaced by a myriad of last arm in the bullpen options.  Chris Young is the only player of good value that we lost.  And I'm pretty sure that Dolgin is wrong about the $5 million.  The online reports have Arizona sending us money in the deal.

Well, that begs the question, will you be able to conjure up a most-witty nickname for Javier Vazquez?

That name looks promising...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
It's kind of interesting, there are the exceptions.  However, it seems the younger you are, the less you like this deal.  I don't know what that means.

Wow. I guess I must REALLY like this deal then.

:P

Oh wait... I mean hate it! Yeah, I really hate this deal! Word. Shiznit. er... something.