Good or Bad Trade?

kevin57

Is the El Duque/Viz/Young for Vazquez Trade a good or bad move?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is the El Duque/Viz/Young for Vazquez Trade a good or bad move?

• Great Move
    • I'll wait and see
    • Terrible Trade

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
We are talking about a pitcher we didn't want, the last right hander out of our pen, and a good prospect with an ETA of 2007 who plays a position that we have 3 other legitimate prospects, 2 knocking on the majors door, that we traded.  Hernandez was worthless to us, Vizcaino is easily replacable.  Young is the only one who MIGHT hurt, and that won't be for a while.  Yes this deal is a winner for the Sox.

CAn't be summed up much better than this.

:cheers

One thing to consider is this would probably be a widely loved deal if we didn't have such a stocked rotation. Vazquez has struggled a bit of late, but he has phenomenal stuff and can be absolutely devastating at times. I think he's pretty similar to Freddy, only with less middle ground (either really good or pretty bad). It's conceivable that he could be our best starter next year if he gets his s*** together. We gave up very little talent in the deal, the best piece of it being a AA centerfielder. That's pretty good considering the price of pitching nowadays.

However, we do have a lot of starters. As I've said, with this deal someone has to be on their way out of town. I can't imagine that we are going to keep B-Mac in the bullpen.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Yes, I think a guy who at worst is a solid #5 starter and at best could be huge is at least equal to El Duque (5.11, 4329857438 years old and injured a lot), Vizcaino (a decent middle reliever but nothing special) and an OF prospect (when we have Anderson, Owens and Sweeney in the wings).  This is true to me, as long as we get that cash (because Vazquez is not a $12.5M pitcher).

Looks like they are actually going to pay $8 Million!

The Diamondbacks, who also have agreed to pay $8 million of the remaining $23 million in Vazquez's contract over the next two years

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...s-vazquez_x.htm

I like it Vazquez has top of the rotation stuff and just has not seemed comfortable after leaving Montreal. With Ozzie as the manager Javier could find his place and be the dominant starter that he has the talent for.

Ive wanted Vazquez for a while, and the only person Im sad to see go is Young.

But if our rotation is:

1. MB

2. Freddy

3. Garland

4. Contreras

5. Vazquez

I can live with a prospect being traded. For any of those pitchers or McCarthy we can probably get a very similar prospect to Young, or even better. But dumping Duke and replacing him with Vazquez is brilliance.

SB

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
an OF prospect (when we have Anderson, Owens and Sweeney in the wings).

I agree and disagree. I know they have REAL high expectations of Anderson, but what if? What if he doesnt pan out? Ownes is fast, but has no power. Sweeney has no power or speed. young has both power (i was suprise to read he had 20+ HRs last year) and speed.

Now, if they turn around and trade Garland or Vazquez for Crawford, then you have a deal.

If we sign a two relief pitchers, we'll win it all in 2006. This was a great, great move. Barring injury, this leaves nothing to chance in our rotation. Our questions going into 2006 were "can El Duque stay healthy" and "is BMac ready to be a fulltime MLB starter". Now those aren't even questions.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
I can live with a prospect being traded. For any of those pitchers or McCarthy we can probably get a very similar prospect to Young, or even better. But dumping Duke and replacing him with Vazquez is brilliance.

Ok, that last point about Vazquez vs DukeisVERYvalid. you may have canged my mind. Plus, KWison record that his goal is to win the WORLD SERIES every year. Nextyear be damned. So, Young may help us in the future, but Vazquez canhelp us this year.

Nice Kenny quote:

"I don't have any desire to break up the rotation that helped us to a championship," Williams said. "That said, both Jose and Jon have been and will be given a chance to stay beyond the 2006 season.

"We will try not to be put in the position, as we were with Konerko, where we're at the mercy of the market. We'll try to stay ahead of the curve."

I like Kenny's thinking here...stay proactive and avoid being forced into a corner.

C'mon haters...gotta love on some Coop.

He basically made Billy Beane blow Loaiza this year, cuz he certainly ain't worth $7 mil per.

He turned Contreras around (with El Duque's help).

Finally got through to Jon.

Helped a 38th round draft pick become a #1 (maybe #1a) pitcher.

He can certainly help Vazquez. And with Ozzie being in his ear for a full year...hell, this is a great trade.

And I wouldn't trade any of the pitchers just yet, what with MB and FG pitchign in the WBC. Maybe at midseason, if they haven't resigned.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
I don't like this trade, especially if KW is planning on trading Garland.

no he is not however just look at the rotation for a second.

SP1: Mark Buehrle

SP2: Jose Contreras

SP3: Jon Garland

SP4: Freddy Garcia

SP5: Javier Vazquez

Everyone of those pitchers can win 15 or more games.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
no he is not however just look at the rotation for a second.

SP1: Mark Buehrle

SP2: Jose Contreras

SP3: Jon Garland

SP4: Freddy Garcia

SP5: Javier Vazquez

Everyone of those pitchers can win 15 or more games.

and so can pitcher #6, he just hasn't done it yet like the other 5.