Roll Out the Vote

FlaSoxxJim

This really shows how far the Middle East still has to go before it will be on par with our form of democracy.

I mean, if they were serious about stealing the election they'd be using Diebold voting machines instead of trailer trucks full of ballots. :)

NYT – December 14, 2005

Police Seize Forged Ballots Headed to Iraq From Iran

By DEXTER FILKINS

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Dec. 13 - Less than two days before nationwide elections, the Iraqi border police seized a tanker on Tuesday that had just crossed from Iran filled with thousands of forged ballots, an official at the Interior Ministry said.

The tanker was seized in the evening by agents with the American-trained border protection force at the Iraqi town of Badra, after crossing at Munthirya on the Iraqi border, the official said. According to the Iraqi official, the border police found several thousand partly completed ballots inside.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said the Iranian truck driver told the police under interrogation that at least three other trucks filled with ballots had crossed from Iran at different spots along the border.

The official, who did not attend the interrogation, said he did not know where the driver was headed, or what he intended to do with the ballots.

The seizure of the truck comes at a delicate time in Iran's relations with both Iraq and the United States. The American government has said Iranian agents are deeply involved in trying to influence events in Iraq, by funneling money to Shiite political parties and by arming and training many of the illegal militias that are bedeviling the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/14/internat...agewanted=print

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
This really shows how far the Middle East still has to go before it will be on par with our form of democracy. 

I mean, if they were serious about stealing the election they'd be using Diebold voting machines instead of trailer trucks full of ballots.  :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/14/internat...agewanted=print

Don't forget the Diebold machines owned by Bush's GREAT, BEST friend. We really need to get that conspiracy theory right! ;)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Don't forget the Diebold machines owned by Bush's GREAT, BEST friend.  We really need to get that conspiracy theory right!  ;)

Some pretty interesting developments on the old Diebold newsfront these last two weeks, I'd say. Refusal to reveal source code. CEO steps down. Insider trading bombshell. Proof that the 'unhackable' memory cards can be hacked and votes riggged.

Good stuff.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
We still havent given up the whining and conspiracy theories about the '04 election I see.

:rolly

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the potential to rig '06. :rolly :rolly

The implosion of Diebold will go a long way toward addressing those concerns.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
We still havent given up the whining and conspiracy theories about the '04 election I see.

:rolly

More like 2000, 2002, 2004, and upcoming 2006.

Hey - all kidding aside, anything's hackable. And for you all to suggest that there indeed was a grand scheme to hack votes so GWB could win Ohio... that's juuuuuuuust a little too far for me. (preparing now to see 7,856 links about how it happened from lib blogs).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
More like 2000, 2002, 2004, and upcoming 2006.

Hey - all kidding aside, anything's hackable.  And for you all to suggest that there indeed was a grand scheme to hack votes so GWB could win Ohio... that's juuuuuuuust a little too far for me.  (preparing now to see 7,856 links about how it happened from lib blogs).

Punch cards or optical-scanned cards that can be physically preserved/protected and can be manually verified are quite a bit less hackable.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Ricist?

Are we gonna start seeing conspiracy blogs now linking hanging chads to domestic rice paddys and irrigation controversies in California?

I thought a Ricist was an avid Condi supporter. . . ? :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Punch cards or optical-scanned cards that can be physically preserved/protected and can be manually verified are quite a bit less hackable.

Indeed. But they can also be altered. Just saying.

It bugs me that (not necessarily you, Jim or LCR but I want to make a point) a lot of people in this country thinks the elections are all thrown when a Republican wins a "big" election. There will ALWAYS be irregularities. It's impossible to stop. Yet, Diebold "threw" the election. Katherine Harris chumped Al Gore. I could go on in some congressional elections... but the point's the same. By in large, the elections system works. And it makes me cringe to see all these conspiracy stories, because people are bitter and pissed off about what happened 5 years ago and can't let it go. I'm sure we would all be s***ting rose petals if Al Gore were president right now. But he's not, and we're supposedly 10,000 times worse off for it, so now the elections are all rigged.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Indeed.  But they can also be altered.  Just saying.

It bugs me that (not necessarily you, Jim or LCR but I want to make a point) a lot of people in this country thinks the elections are all thrown when a Republican wins a "big" election.  There will ALWAYS be irregularities.  It's impossible to stop.  Yet, Diebold "threw" the election.  Katherine Harris chumped Al Gore.  I could go on in some congressional elections... but the point's the same.  By in large, the elections system works.  And it makes me cringe to see all these conspiracy stories, because people are bitter and pissed off about what happened 5 years ago and can't let it go.  I'm sure we would all be s***ting rose petals if Al Gore were president right now.  But he's not, and we're supposedly 10,000 times worse off for it, so now the elections are all rigged.

Just because they may be impossible to entirely stop, that is no reason to not make inquiries into the irregularities. And when the "irregularities" happen with alarming regularity it is a responsible question to ask why, and what can be done about it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Just because they may be impossible to entirely stop, that is no reason to not make inquiries into the irregularities.  And when the "irregularities" happen with alarming regularity it is a responsible question to ask why, and what can be done about it.

Oh, I agree - no matter what we have to make the system better. But to make the leap that the elections are "thrown" because of this, goes a lot too far, IMO, which is what I'm trying to say (I think).