Sox interested in Kotsay?

SSH2005

Associated Press reporter Rob Blum is on MLB radio speculating that the Sox will look to get Mark Kotsay for center field. I wonder if he's related to Geoff. :P I doubt this happens though. We need to save money somewhere and KW loves Anderson.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Associated Press reporter Rob Blum is on MLB radio speculating that the Sox will look to get Mark Kotsay for center field.  I wonder if he's related to Geoff.  :P  I doubt this happens though.  We need to save money somewhere and KW loves Anderson.

Actually one of the 1st names that popped into my mind was Kotsay. He can play defense, is a left handed bat, has pretty good all around ability and fits into the 2 hole. He's a total gamer too.

The question is, can we also get a bullpen arm . I could even see the A's interested in Garland, but at the same time I think Sweeney or Anderson for Kotsay could be an option. Especially if they could work in one of the A's bullpen arms (maybe Kiki, whose coming off a down year).

I know we'd have to give up more than that, but Kotsay is also coming off a down year (he's a very similar player to Rowand though, imo, but better offensively and maybe just a minor minor tad worse defensively but it ain't by much).

Considering Kotsay's contract, I could see the Sox being able to get him under mkt value (although I'm sure they would want cash).

I could definately see this happening, although I think it would be interesting to see how exactly things match up.

I realize he's been a California boy (I assume he's a native cause I know he was the s*** back at Fullerton, Golden Spikes award winner and all that stuff), but wouldn't you think he'd at least consider waiving his no trade clause to go to the defending World Champs (plus Chicago is a really nice city).

I'm sure he could talk to Rowand and ask Aaron how he liked it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
The real question is, who the f*** is Eric Kotsay?

This is the second time I've butchered his name.

Actually when I first read your post, it didn't really register because it flows and sounds like it should be his name. Then I was like 'Who the f*** is Eric Kotsay?" I think its all the rhyming last names with that first name...Eric Daze...Eric Gagne...Eric Kotsay.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Actually when I first read your post, it didn't really register because it flows and sounds like it should be his name.  Then I was like 'Who the f*** is Eric Kotsay?"  I think its all the rhyming last names with that first name...Eric Daze...Eric Gagne...Eric Kotsay.

Maybe I combined Eric Byrnes and Mark Kotsay, the bash brothers of the '04 Athletics? :huh

Seeing the offers that the Marlins were getting for or asking for AJ Burnett this past season at the trading deadline, I think Garland could net us a lot (i.e. centerpiece in a Tejada deal or young stud pitching prospects). So while I was initially in favor of Kotsay and Duscherer or Calero for Garland, I think we should get more. Also, I don't know that Anderson can't be just as good defensively as Kotsay with a stronger arm. He looked good in the few games at the end of last year and he has a great work ethic to get better. His upside is much better and he looks major league ready. Keep Anderson at CF and use Garland to replenish the pitching or get a stud, impact player.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
I am so bloody sick of people suggesting we need more outfielders.  WE HAVE TOO MANY OUTFIELDERS ALREADY!  That's why Young and Rowand were tradeable.

yeah.... but are all of our outfielders as good as some of the regulars in the MLB?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I realize he's been a California boy (I assume he's a native cause I know he was the s*** back at Fullerton, Golden Spikes award winner and all that stuff), but wouldn't you think he'd at least consider waiving his no trade clause to go to the defending World Champs (plus Chicago is a really nice city). 

I'm sure he could talk to Rowand and ask Aaron how he liked it.

I know he likes the area. He was very briefly here at Kane County when I was there.