Congress Banks on Dollar Coins Depicting Ex-Prez's

greasywheels121

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/business/articl...S00010000000001

Congress Banks on Dollar Coins Depicting Ex-Presidents

By ELIZABETH WHITE, AP

WASHINGTON (Dec. 13) -- New dollar coins featuring all 37 of the nation's dead presidents will begin rolling out of the U.S. Mint in 2007 under a bill Congress is sending to President Bush.

Lawmakers hope the coins -- and an accompanying $10 gold piece for collectors featuring former first ladies -- will be a big money raiser for the government like the 50-state quarter program. They also hope the dollar pieces will rev up interest in the Sacagawea dollars, which have been little-used.

The quarter program had raked in roughly $4 billion in revenues by its midpoint, said Becky Bailey, a U.S. Mint spokeswoman.

"The dollar coin is a valuable educational tool -- much like the 50-state quarter series -- that will help inspire interest in the history of the leaders of our country," Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., the sponsor of the legislation, said in a statement. It passed the House 291-113.

The front of the coins would depict former presidents, but not those who are living or have been dead for less than two years, and the backs would show the Statue of Liberty. Four coins a year would be issued, beginning in 2007, in the presidents' order of service. The U.S. Treasury secretary would have authority over the designs.

As of now, there would be 38 coins issued for the 37 presidents -- Grover Cleveland served two nonconsecutive terms and would be on two coins.

The bill also would create a companion gold bullion coin program bearing images of former first ladies and emblems of their causes on $10 coins. Companion coins for those presidents who had no spouse would show images of liberty and themes of the presidents' tenures. The coins would be 99.99 percent pure gold.

The Sacagawea coin, named for the Indian woman who helped Meriwether Lewis and William Clark find their way to the Pacific Ocean, was introduced in 2000 but never caught on with the public. One-third of dollar coins issued would still be Sacagawea golden dollars.

Rep. Michael Castle, R-Del., who was a main advocate of the 50-state quarter program, sponsored similar legislation in the House that passed in April but did not include the one-third requirement.

"I find that to be very cumbersome," said Castle, who still supported the Senate bill. "We made allowances for returning" to issuing Sacagawea coins after the presidential program ends.

North Dakota's delegation, Democratic Sens. Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad and Democratic Rep. Earl Pomeroy, was concerned the presidents would replace Sacagawea, who is considered by many to be North Dakotan. The senators came on board only when the one-third requirement was included as a compromise.

The bill, which passed the Senate last month by voice vote, requires the Federal Reserve System and Treasury secretary to consult with vending machine operators, transit officials and car wash operators, among others, to make sure the coin is easily distributed.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
As you may well know, most countries dont have a dollar bill. Typically, the smallest denomination is $5. So, it makes me wonder if the US will slowly get us off the $1 bill and onto the $! coin.

The U.S. has been trying to do that for years (sacajawea dollars, susan b anthony dollars, etc.) Simply because it's a lot cheaper to produce the coin than it is to produce the bill. Thus far though, they just haven't caught on no matter how hard the government has tried.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
The U.S. has been trying to do that for years (sacajawea dollars, susan b anthony dollars, etc.)  Simply because it's a lot cheaper to produce the coin than it is to produce the bill.  Thus far though, they just haven't caught on no matter how hard the government has tried.

Mostly because nut jobs like my parents collect the new coins and just stash them under their bed.

Here's what my parents will do when the new coins come out: annoy every cashier, bank teller, and, possibly, homeless panhandler to see if they can get some of the new coins. Then, they will hide these coins (rolled of course) in shoeboxes under their bed. I feel relatively confident that 70% of the Sacajewea coins that were put into circulation ended up under my parents' bed.

They're insane.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Mostly because nut jobs like my parents collect the new coins and just stash them under their bed.

Here's what my parents will do when the new coins come out: annoy every cashier, bank teller, and, possibly, homeless panhandler to see if they can get some of the new coins. Then, they will hide these coins (rolled of course) in shoeboxes under their bed. I feel relatively confident that 70% of the Sacajewea coins that were put into circulation ended up under my parents' bed.

They're insane.

I'm glad there's people like your parents though. I hate coins.

James K. Polk baybeee! :headbang

In 1844, the Democrats were split

The three nominees for the presidential candidate

Were Martin Van Buren, a former president and an abolitionist

James Buchanan, a moderate

Louis Cass, a general and expansionist

From Nashville came a dark horse riding up

He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

Austere, severe, he held few people dear

His oratory filled his foes with fear

The factions soon agreed

He's just the man we need

To bring about victory

Fulfill our manifest destiny

And annex the land the Mexicans command

And when the votes were cast the winner was

Mister James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

In four short years he met his every goal

He seized the whole southwest from Mexico

Made sure the tarriffs fell

And made the English sell the Oregon territory

He built an independent treasury

Having done all this he sought no second term

But precious few have mourned the passing of

Mister James K. Polk, our eleventh president

Young Hickory, Napoleon of the Stump

^^ nice TMBG usage.

This seals the deal for me quitting working at the bank by 2007. I hate when old people come in looking for 2-3 rolls of the state quarters. WTF are you going to use them for? you're missing out on the interest and you'll be dead before they're worth anything!

I am a big time coin collector. Its one of the things I picked up proudly from my grandmother. I check all of my change before throwing into jars as a kind of mini savings account. Honestly I think it could be a neat thing to pass on to my daughter when she is old enough to understand. Some hobbies easily transfer from generation to generation, and are neat ways to interact with your kids/parents etc.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
I am a big time coin collector.  Its one of the things I picked up proudly from my grandmother.  I check all of my change before throwing into jars as a kind of mini savings account.  Honestly I think it could be a neat thing to pass on to my daughter when she is old enough to understand.  Some hobbies easily transfer from generation to generation, and are neat ways to interact with your kids/parents etc.

I tried collecting the state quarters, and after about (ironically) Indiana I quit. I need to catch those up somehow.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I tried collecting the state quarters, and after about (ironically) Indiana I quit.  I need to catch those up somehow.

I've got a jar full of assorted ones if you get up here sometime soon. They might get cashed in during January so let me know what you want soon so I can separate them out

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
^^ nice TMBG usage.

This seals the deal for me quitting working at the bank by 2007. I hate when old people come in looking for 2-3 rolls of the state quarters. WTF are you going to use them for? you're missing out on the interest and you'll be dead before they're worth anything!

My grandma gave my 3 year old daughter a roll of the new nickels for her birthday (Along with other stuff). I have no idea why. I didn't even ask.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I've got a jar full of assorted ones if you get up here sometime soon.  They might get cashed in during January so let me know what you want soon so I can separate them out

yea, actually... I'll get a list of what I don't have, which is a lot now.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)

They're insane.

The other 30% is under my grama's. :lol:

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)

They're insane.

Is your real name Sacajewea? :lol:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
The Tooth Fairy uses Sacajaweas (sp?) at our house, so we always have to have some on hand.  The dead Preznitz will be a cool series.  My favorit two will be Grover Cleveland and Grover Cleveland.  But maybe not in that order.  :unsure:

Everyone is this room is now dumber for listening to that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.