Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
I don't mind getting him, but I'm not going to overpay for him. Garland + Crede for Blalock, Wilkerson, and Danks or Diamond is overpaying. Wilkerson is not needed and I'm sure Mackowiak could do as good of a job as him given full-time duties and our OF is already filled. Danks and Diamond haven't proven they could be front end pitchers in AA yet, much less the majors.

IMO this is not overpaying. Players like Blalock don't come available for trade too often. He will be a cornerstone of the franchise and provide our offense with another potent weapon. Face it, Crede's a class guy and a great defender, but he's not Blalock. We're not going to be able to keep Garland beyond this year, and it's best we ship him now rather than wait until midseason and either get stuck with him or get less in return. We need a fourth outfielder, Wilkerson is a much better option than the likes of Borchard. Getting Danks would not only give us a prospect with awesome stuff, but give us leverage in signing his brother after the college season is over.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny about all these stats, whether its this year or next year Crede will be gone unless he gets another agent. Stats mean nothing, Boras is the issue right now. I am sorry many don't get it. When you get older men have this thing about keeping there word and lying. Boras lied to JR or at least that is what JR thinks. Thats all that matters. Crede will be gone within two years if not sooner.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
IMO this is not overpaying.  Players like Blalock don't come available for trade too often.  He will be a cornerstone of the franchise and provide our offense with another potent weapon.  Face it, Crede's a class guy and a great defender, but he's not Blalock.  We're not going to be able to keep Garland beyond this year, and it's best we ship him now rather than wait until midseason and either get stuck with him or get less in return.  We need a fourth outfielder, Wilkerson is a much better option than the likes of Borchard.  Getting Danks would not only give us a prospect with awesome stuff, but give us leverage in signing his brother after the college season is over.

Macowiak is a better option as a 4th OF than Wilkerson. Also, I rather deal Garland to the Mets for a prospect like Aaron Heilman.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Funny about all these stats, whether its this year or next year Crede will be gone unless he gets another agent. Stats mean nothing, Boras is the issue right now. I am sorry many don't get it. When you get older men have this thing about keeping there word and lying. Boras lied to JR or at least that is what JR thinks. Thats all that matters. Crede will be gone within two years if not sooner.

Well that's certainly an issue. But it makes no sense in trading Crede this year unless something great comes along. This deal isn't.

I can't believe Boras holds the cards in this; if anyone does, its Joe. Boras works for Crede, not the other way around. Anyway, I don't want to lose Crede, even for this payoff. Crede can save a WS game with the glove or win a it with the bat. The WS is the level the Sox are at now. What matters is how they can deliver while on that stage. Joe can do it, how do we know Blalock or Wilkerson can? To put it bluntly: Blalock may be able to get a team to the World Series; but we know Crede can win it.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

I agree with this completely.

Crede will be moved, don't know for who or when, but I know why. Boras.

Like it or not, come up with all the fantasy scenarios and home/away splits, this is not about what this board wants, it's about what the White Sox will do. Think like mgmt. thinks, see what their normal pattern is, see that they don't deal with Boras, and it will all become clear.

That's way overpaying for Blalock.

As long as the White Sox get something else back, i.e. a prospect or Wilkerson, I love this trade.

If they don't, I like this trade.

Simply put, two guys they'd ultimately lose for just draft choices for a cornerstone 3B at a reasonable rate.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
Well that's certainly an issue. But it makes no sense in trading Crede this year unless something great comes along. This deal isn't.

It certainly does make sense, because your getting a very good 3b in return who is signed long term. Why keep a guy for another year when you have a replacement sitting right there. I am certain there is more to the trade such as prospects from texas, which by the way would make this site praise with joy. All you people just love prospects. Focus on why they would trade him. (its boras) nothing else. Not about splits or anything.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
I can't believe Boras holds the cards in this; if anyone does, its Joe.  Boras works for Crede, not the other way around.  Anyway, I don't want to lose Crede, even for this payoff.  Crede can save a WS game with the glove or win a it with the bat.  The WS is the level the Sox are at now.  What matters is how they can deliver while on that stage.  Joe can do it, how do we know Blalock or Wilkerson can?  To put it bluntly: Blalock may be able to get a team to the World Series; but we know Crede can win it.

SFF

Stop it, Joe Crede is not brooks Robinson for the long haul. I simply cannot beleive everyone is so nieve when it comes to Boras people. The SOX WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM. get over it fast.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
It certainly does make sense, because your getting a very good 3b in return who is signed long term. Why keep a guy for another year when you have a replacement sitting right there. I am certain there is more to the trade such as prospects from texas, which by the way would make this site praise with joy. All you people just love prospects. Focus on why they would trade him. (its boras) nothing else. Not about splits or anything.

I don't care much for prospects, but if that's the only way to even out the deal.

Furthermore this does tell you that Josh Fields is coming along slower than expected and may take just as long as Joe did to reach the majors. If Blalock does come don't expect fields to hit the majors until he is compeltely out of options or I suspect he will be traded sometime later in the year for a quick pick up on someone.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
I don't care much for prospects, but if that's the only way to even out the deal.

Neither do I, but this board is completely enamored with prospects despite the fact that the majority never make it.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Furthermore this does tell you that Josh Fields is coming along slower than expected and may take just as long as Joe did to reach the majors. If Blalock does come don't expect fields to hit the majors until he is compeltely out of options or I suspect he will be traded sometime later in the year for a quick pick up on someone.

This deal doesnt need to tell us that, we can look at the way he has been playing. The guy has a cannon but has s*** for footwork, and is not progressing as a 3B as we thought he would. I still think he will end up playing some 1B before its said or done.

This deal doesnt need to tell us that, we can look at the way he has been playing.  The guy has a cannon but has s*** for footwork, and is not progressing as a 3B as we thought he would.  I still think he will end up playing some 1B before its said or done.

Footwork supposedly quite improved in AFL, For what that's worth.

I think Blalock's footwork is pretty good though. :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
This deal doesnt need to tell us that, we can look at the way he has been playing.  The guy has a cannon but has s*** for footwork, and is not progressing as a 3B as we thought he would.  I still think he will end up playing some 1B before its said or done.

OK 6 of one half dozen of another. if they move him (1B), it will stay take longer to develop. By the way we are loaded at first base as well. Bye bye to fields...later though.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
Neither do I, but this board is completely enamored with prospects despite the fact that the majority never make it.

Absolutely, especially in our system. This isn't bashing the organization, but we've been less than stellar at developing players over the last 10 years.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
OK 6 of one half dozen of another. if they move him (1B), it will stay take longer to develop. By the way we are loaded at first base as well. Bye bye to fields...later though.

I've thought for some time now that fields will end up making his debut with another team.