Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I said he was "consistent" between home and away. Which he was. I didn't say he say he was consistent from month to month. Over the course of the entire season he was virtually the same at home on the road.

AVE-34 pts lower at home than on the road

SLG-25 pts lower at home than on the road

OBP-43 pts lower at home than on the road

Edited by sircaffey

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)

I was talking about his three year splits. Look at those. 5 point difference in OPS

I'll even give you the page

ESPN

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
I was talking about his three year splits. Look at those. 5 point difference in OPS

I'll even give you the page

ESPN

Yes overall his season are "somewhat" similar but if you break it down season to season, home and away are way off each season. They total similarly but Crede has never had a season where his home and away stats have been similar (in the past 3 seasons).

EDIT:

2004:

AVE-42 pts lower away than at home

SLG-77 pts lower away than at home

OBP-45 pts lower away than at home

2003:

AVE-42 pts lower at home than on the road

SLG-4 pts higher at home than on the road**

OBP-45 pts lower at home than on the road

Where in those does it show Crede is consistant at home AND on the road?

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Defensively, Crede is better.  Offensively, Blalock is better.

Disagree, Blalock is a better defened, he led the AL 3B in defense. And he is 2 years younger. If you compare them both at 25 years old, clearly you can see Blalock is better with the glove.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Blalock is a better overall player than Crede.  Especially when you consider he's locked in to a very fair contract for a few more years, there's probably not a single executive in baseball who'd rather have Crede than Blalock.

there are a few future GM's on here who beg to differ.

In his career he is .227 with a .640 OPS against lefties, and thats even with his inflated home numbers.

He is a platoon player. You can't bat him against lefties. Now if he has come up in your system, and you are paying him nothing, he'd be okay to have, but you sure as hell don't go trade Jon Garland for him.

Good thing there's a lot more righty pitchers than lefties in the league for Blalock to rake on, huh?

Crede: .787 career OPS vs. Left / .726 career OPS vs. Right

Blalock: .624 career OPS vs. Left / .880 career OPS vs. Right

Blalock is worth his weakness against lefties because he is so strong against righties. Crede is only above average against lefties and weak against righties. There's a lot more righthanded pitchers in baseball than lefties. Factor in Blalock's modest contract (4-years, $20 million) like fathom said and you will see why no GM in baseball would rather have Crede over Blalock.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
there are a few future GM's on here who beg to differ.

Might those be the future GMs who would rather have Pods than Grady Sizemore lead off or would it the be the future GMs that wanted KW to pay Konerko 18 mil a year if needed? :P

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
Good thing there's a lot more righty pitchers than lefties in the league for Blalock to rake on, huh?

Crede:  .787 career OPS vs. Left / .726 career OPS vs. Right

Blalock:  .624 career OPS vs. Left / .880 career OPS vs. Right

Blalock is worth his weakness against lefties because he is so strong against righties.  Crede is only above average against lefties and weak against righties.  There's a lot more righthanded pitchers in baseball than lefties.  Factor in Blalock's modest contract (4-years, $20 million) like fathom said and you will see why no GM in baseball would rather have Crede over Blalock.

But my point is that evens out.

You don't trade a pitcher like Garland to get a player that is just a little bit better than the one you have. And we have Crede locked up for a couple of more years and a price that will be even cheaper than that.

5 Million is ridiculous for a player that has a road OPS lower than Scott Podsednik for the last three years. And I'm aruging with a guy who think Podsednik sucks. You are pretty much getting a player that will only help you out when he is at home against right handed pitchers. That is signficantly cutting down on his worth.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
What everyone seems to forget with these rumors is that the Sox seem to have very little confidence in Crede's back condition.  When you take the injury, and combine that with negotiating with Boras, it seems very likely he'll get traded also.

Thats why we have Mack.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Thats why we have Mack.

Who can't hit lefties either. And then if we have to start Mackowiak on an everyday basis, the bench is severely weakened. And if you look at the prices getting paid to players, Crede will likely get equal to what Blalock does once he becomes a FA.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Who can't hit lefties either.  And then if we have to start Mackowiak on an everyday basis, the bench is severely weakened.  And if you look at the prices getting paid to players, Crede will likely get equal to what Blalock does once he becomes a FA.

Well, if you had a contingency plan for every contingency plan, you wouldnt have enough spots on the team.

Reports are that Crede's back is okay. It certainly was in the playoffs. There is a small chance that it flares up for a DL visit again, and Mack can play those 15 days.

You don't trade Jon Garland, so you can feel good about your health at third. Especially with a player like that.

Just go sign Joe Randa if thats the case. You dont ahve to trade a pitcher that just won 18 games.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Well, if you had a contingency plan for every contingency plan, you wouldnt have enough spots on the team.

Reports are that Crede's back is okay. It certainly was in the playoffs. There is a small chance that it flares up for a DL visit again, and Mack can play those 15 days.

You don't trade Jon Garland, so you can feel good about your health at third. Especially with a player like that.

Just go sign Joe Randa if thats the case. You dont ahve to trade a pitcher that just won 18 games.

I'm not the person looking to trade Garland....KW is! Obviously, Garland or his agent have said something that makes them feel there's not a chance in hell he'll come back to the Sox. Thus, they're looking to get something for him now. KW is in win mode now. People are nuts if they think he'd rather get two draft picks when Garland leaves than someone who can help the organization now. And who knows how Crede's back is doing. The reports may say his back is fine, but judging some of the Sox's moves this offseason, it doesn't seem like they're confident he'll hold up.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Says who?  I haven't heard that at all.  In fact, I heard the opposite -- that the Sox are concerned with the two herniated discs in Crede's back.

KW said that. KW said that Crede was doing well in the offseason and that he will be good to go.

The thing is he said that he couldn't go into the season knowing that something bad could happen that he previously knew about, without doing something to back it up.

Buts its possible KW doesn't know what hes talking about. I mean he's only the GM

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
But my point is that evens out.

You don't trade a pitcher like Garland to get a player that is just a little bit better than the one you have. And we have Crede locked up for a couple of more years and a price that will be even cheaper than that.

5 Million is ridiculous for a player that has a road OPS lower than Scott Podsednik for the last three years. And I'm aruging with a guy who think Podsednik sucks. You are pretty much getting a player that will only help you out when he is at home against right handed pitchers. That is signficantly cutting down on his worth.

So you are also saying that the just turned 25 year old Blalock doesn't have the ability to improve his numbers on the road? That he's pretty much has maxed out. The other major concern the White Sox have that you are apparently overlooking is the condition of Crede's back. Maybe he will be fine, but all indications are the White Sox are concerned.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm not the person looking to trade Garland....KW is!  Obviously, Garland or his agent have said something that makes them feel there's not a chance in hell he'll come back to the Sox.  Thus, they're looking to get something for him now.  KW is in win mode now.  People are nuts if they think he'd rather get two draft picks when Garland leaves than someone who can help the organization now.  And who knows how Crede's back is doing.  The reports may say his back is fine, but judging some of the Sox's moves this offseason, it doesn't seem like they're confident he'll hold up.

First, read below about his back. Second, we don't know that KW is shopping anybody. We've heard reports, which have often times come back to be completely untrue. See: Pierre, Juan.

I agree that Garland will likely not be back. So you trade him for someone good. YOu don't trade him for a bad to average player that can't hit lefties and can't hit on the road. THat is the definition of not getting value.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
KW said that. KW said that Crede was doing well in the offseason and that he will be good to go.

The thing is he said that he couldn't go into the season knowing that something bad could happen that he previously knew about, without doing something to back it up.

Buts its possible KW doesn't know what hes talking about. I mean he's only the GM

Yeah, since I'm sure KW would be telling EVERY baseball executive that he has fears about Crede's health!!! Come on man, he's saying the "smart" thing. It's just like when he was saying that Duque would be the 5th starter, etc. If you haven't caught on to KW's lingo yet, then pay more attention to his quotes. You can tell an awful lot by what he says in the media.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)

No, KW commented on Hermanson's back, and has not said diddly about Crede.

KW never downplays anything to the media...

You guys all need to go listen to KW's press conference from the........Mack signing I think it was. He talks about the Joe's back and why he was so diligent on getting another player in to back him up. He said knowing that htere could be a potential problem would eat away at him if he didn't do something, but he didn't expect there to be any problem.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
No, KW commented on Hermanson's back, and has not said diddly about Crede.

LOL. Why don't you go listen. If I'm wrong, you can come on here and prove me wrong. I very well could be, but thats what I remember hearing. Did you listen to that conference call?

KW said that Crede was doing well in the offseason and that he will be good to go.

Or he could be bluffing so he isnt making trades from a point of weakness. Texas can you please take our 3rd baseman he can barely sit up, and our pitcher wants to take FA and has his heart set on pitching for the Dodgers or Angels. Can we have Blalock please.

Last year before we signed Iguchi KW was touting our 2nd baseman Willie Harris. How we were ready to go into ST with Willie as our starting 2b. Now do you think that he was saying to for our benefit or for the benefit of negotiating with Iguchi's agent.