Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
Right, forget about Wilkerson, he is indeed a Boras client.  I think one of those pitching prospects is too, not sure.

I think Wilkerson would be more of a stop gap than our long term CF anyway. It would allow Anderson to ease into the lineup as a 4th outfielder, while getting a few hundred at bats. Also allows Iguchi to be moved down in the order. Uribe is an option, but Wilkerson would be more ideal. I think the fact that he is a Boras client is a non issue, as Anderson/Owens would be taking over CF full time in 07 regardless. A prime pitching prospect would probably prove to be better, but Texas will no doubtedly have reservations about this. More so than parting with Wilkerson, who could help more in 06.

If you can get tejada for garland and uribe, that is the trade to do. Better player all around and instant star on the team. thats the trade, though I think Levine is an idiot. I also think the CUBS will step up and put together a good package, most likely overpay to have this guy.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
KW is very smart and I think either way we can't lose!

We can lose with Baltimore. If Orioles are demanding Ramirez AND additional prospects it's going to take more than Garland/Uribe to pry Tejada from the East Coast.

For once, I'd like for this organization to be in a position to have another team overpay for our players. We don't even need to trade Garland immediately. Wait until Milwood and the remaining Boras client signs with their teams. Then we'll see how desperate Baltimore, Texas, and other clubs are for pitching when divisional teams are improving while they're staying pat. SOMEONE has to overpay. That's my goal with Garland. Even if we receive outfield talent, which obviously isn't necessary, I want Williams to extract the most in return from him. Be greedy instead of fair, for once. At worst, we have a completed rotation with a more than suitable replacement (McCarthy) available.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
If you can get tejada for garland and uribe, that is the trade to do. Better player all around and instant star on the team. thats the trade, though I think Levine is an idiot. I also think the CUBS will step up and put together a good package, most likely overpay to have this guy.

I don't see what they have that could top Garland/Uribe/decent prospect. Unless they want to part with Cy Prior or Fattybrano.

I agree. I think our two best options are:

Garland, Uribe, & prospect(s) FOR Miguel Tejada

OR

Garland & Crede FOR Hank Blalock & pitching prospect(s)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
We can lose with Baltimore. If Orioles are demanding Ramirez AND additional prospects it's going to take more than Garland/Uribe to pry Tejada from the East Coast.

For once, I'd like for this organization to be in a position to have another team overpay for our players. We don't even need to trade Garland immediately. Wait until Milwood and the remaining Boras client signs with their teams. Then we'll see how desperate Baltimore, Texas, and other clubs are for pitching when divisional teams are improving while they're staying pat. SOMEONE has to overpay. That's my goal with Garland. Even if we receive outfield talent, which obviously isn't necessary, I want Williams to extract the most in return from him. Be greedy instead of fair, for once. At worst, we have a completed rotation with a more than suitable replacement (McCarthy) available.

i disagree, manny is not a bargaining chip because no one wants his contract and the red sox arent going to pay 10 million a year to baltimore. garland and uribe makes much more economic sense and gives baltimore flexibility. the question is just do they want to move their superstar (i doubt it, but i hope so)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)

Well like I said the CUBS will overpay. Doesn't mean we will. We won't get into a pissing match with another team. We will offer what we want and if its not good enough we will move on. And if it means we hold on to garland for a few months we will. I am not worried. buy the way I think all our prospects stink and should be used for trades! Just my opinion.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
I believe John Danks is the prospect who is a Boras client.  I'm not positive though.  Thomas Diamond isn't so he would have to be the pitching prospect we would get in a trade with Texas.

Thomas diamond is suppose to be as untouchable as it gets... at least for the rangers. They passed up drew and weaver because they no longer want to deal with boras either. Danks is also not represented by boras from what i remember.

Edited by qwerty

Thomas diamond is suppose to be as untouchable as it gets... at least for the rangers. They passed up drew and weaver because they no longer want to deal with boras either. Danks is also not represented by boras from what i remember.

I read that about Diamond and how they passed up Drew and Weaver for him. I wasn't sure about Danks though.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)

I really don't think it will be either of these guys. Lets stop dreaming. It will be a lower level guy. Look I realize everyone here thinks garland is great but his value is lower because he has one year left. it will play out in a week or two. I still think another team will enter in the picture.

Believe me if the White Sox can latch onto Blalock they will do it in a hot minute.

They love Blalock, all you have to do is listen to Hawk Harrelson talk about him and take clues from that.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I really don't think it will be either of these guys. Lets stop dreaming. It will be a lower level guy. Look I realize everyone here thinks garland is great but his value is lower because he has one year left. it will play out in a week or two. I still think another team will enter in the picture.

Never though we would get either... let's get that straight. I think kw will be looking for major league ready talent more so.

Believe me if the White Sox can latch onto Blalock they will do it in a hot minute.

They love Blalock, all you have to do is listen to Hawk Harrelson talk about him and take clues from that.

broadcaster_cws_harrelson.jpg

"I tell you what DJ, Blalock is one good looking young stud."

Edited by SSH2005

Baltimore has the financial wherewithal to sign Garland to a huge, fat contract. Any deal with them I'm sure would include a 72 hour-ish window to try to negotiate a long term (6 year?) contract. With Leo Mazzone over there, I'm sure they would bank on Garland repeating his '05 season or better.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
broadcaster_cws_harrelson.jpg

"I tell you what DJ, Blalock is one good looking young stud."

While he loves blalock he likes matt stairs more in my opinion. He talks about how that guy was the biggest bargain in baseball for a few years every time we face him ( 19 times a year...ew). Like fathom says, the sox fair stairs more than any other player in baseball.

While he loves blalock he likes matt stairs more in my opinion. He talks about how that guy was the biggest bargain in baseball for a few years every time we face him ( 19 times a year...ew). Like fathom says, the sox fair stairs more than any other player in baseball.

Haha, so true. Hawk seems to think Matt Stairs is Albert Pujols. :lol:

But Stairs used to absolutely murder us when he was with the A's. That's what Hawk is remembering.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)

If Texas isn't willing to include one of their top prospects--pitching or not, they can remain in their perpetual pitching rut. f*** them. I'm not giving up Garland unless a top tier prospect is returned. Blalock's addition in the trade doesn't bother me, since Uribe could always play 3B if no options were found to replace Crede. It's the value of Garland, and what teams such as Texas are offering, which concerns me.

No way in hell should Jon Garland only give us a lower level prospect, one year rental or not. I'll repeat this--if Garcia cost us Reed(our top prospect)/Morse/Olivo, MIDSEASON, during a contract year, it's not too unreasonable to ask for one of Texas.' I can't believe Texas would trade for Garland and only use him for one year, considering the crap they have.

Or ask yourself this-- If Williams were trading Blalock/prospect for Garland/Crede, who here wouldn't bet the prospect in question would be one of our best? He'd give up the top prospect and we'd tell ourselves, "have to give up something to get something." "Prospects are just that--prospects." "We HAD to overpay so other teams couldn't get him."

Edited by Flash Tizzle

If Texas isn't willing to include one of their top prospects--pitching or not, they can remain in their perpetual pitching rut. f*** them. I'm not giving up Garland unless a top tier prospect is returned. Blalock's addition in the trade doesn't bother me, since Uribe could always play 3B if no options were found to replace Crede. It's the value of Garland, and what teams such as Texas are offering, which concerns me.

No way in hell should Jon Garland only give us a lower level prospect, one year rental or not. I'll repeat this--if Garcia cost us Reed(our top prospect)/Morse/Olivo, MIDSEASON, during a contract year, it's not too unreasonable to ask for one of Texas.' I can't believe Texas would trade for Garland and only use him for one year, considering the crap they have.

Or ask yourself this-- If Williams were trading Blalock/prospect for Garland/Crede, who here wouldn't bet the prospect in question would be one of our best? He'd give up the top prospect and we'd tell ourselves, "have to give up something to get something." "Prospects are just that--prospects." "We HAD to overpay so other teams couldn't get him."

The difference between us trading for Garcia and the Rangers trading for Garland is that the Sox knew that they would be able to sign Freddy to a contract extension due to the Ozzie/Garcia connection. The Rangers would have no such insurance in trading for Garland. He would probably still test free agency and look to sign with a west coast team.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
The difference between us trading for Garcia and the Rangers trading for Garland is that the Sox knew that they would be able to sign Freddy to a contract extension due to the Ozzie/Garcia connection.  The Rangers would have no such insurance in trading for Garland.  He would probably still test free agency and look to sign with a west coast team.

Texas should contact Garland and ask him about possibly working out a contract, because I wouldn't relinquish from the request of a top prospect. I have a feeling Garland doesn't care where he pitches as long as the particular team pays him. We're not in the position of desperately needing to unload a player. Texas desperately needs pitching. If Texas doesn't want to accept the deal, I'd move on. Our goal should be the best return package for Garland, not receiving midlevel crap in return. It's insulting when you lay out the foundation for a trade, and all you can get for Garland is a measly midlevel prospect. If Texas had a stud reliever they were willing to trade I wouldn't mind. But since it's unlikely a reliever is delt, a prospect must go.