The Evil Kenny Williams

TLAK

Adding to the thoughts of the last post, KW is getting tons of good PR but it should also be given to Rick Hahn. Hahn does a ton of the heavy lifting, contract structuring, dealing with agents, etc. He is a key, key cog down there.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Call him EVIL all you want, but on Silvy and Carmen show with Jayson Start, all of them are raving and praising all the moves that Kenny William has made this offseason. 

Jayson further mentioned, "I am not saying the White Sox are a lock to win it all again, but with all the RIGHT moves that Kenny has made, they are currently better than the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins.  They are the best right now in the American League!"

Silvy and Carmen also agreed with Mariotti that Kenny IS a GM gem!

Everything I am seeing in the media, other than rotoworld, has been very positive about the moves the Sox have made. Yet, here we are in an "Evil Kenny Williams" thread. Sometimes I wonder just what it takes to satisfy some Sox fans.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Everything I am seeing in the media, other than rotoworld,  has been very positive about the moves the Sox have made.  Yet, here we are in an "Evil Kenny Williams" thread.  Sometimes I wonder just what it takes to satisfy some Sox fans.

A World Championship...

Hey...

Wait...

While I disagree with the thread, I do empathize with it. Yes, baseball is a business and yes, the Sox are preparing for the long-haul, but this thread does harken back to when players and fans "bonded," so it was loyalty that would be given to the guys who brought your city the trophy.

I admire that sentiment.

It is also--sadly perhaps--out of date.

Free agency was the first nail in that coffin. I don't begrudge players getting what they can, but that certainly lessened that "lifetime" relationship between fans and players.

Remnants of that philosophy still abide. For instance, Ozzie shocked much of the managerial world when he did not hesitate to sit a guy when he was slumping. Look at the manager on the North Side. He's of the ol' school. However, badly 'your' guy is doing, keep him in there. He's your guy!

Edited by kevin57

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Everything I am seeing in the media, other than rotoworld,  has been very positive about the moves the Sox have made.  Yet, here we are in an "Evil Kenny Williams" thread.  Sometimes I wonder just what it takes to satisfy some Sox fans.

Sadly, some people will never be happy. There are those that get more enjoyment out of complaining.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
While I disagree with the thread, I do empathize with it.  Yes, baseball is a business and yes, the Sox are preparing for the long-haul, but this thread does harken back to when players and fans "bonded," so it was loyalty that would be given to the guys would brought your city the trophy.

I admire that sentiment.

It is also--sadly perhaps--out of date.

Free agency was the first nail in that coffin.  I don't begrudge players getting what they can, but that certainly lessened that "lifetime" relationship between fans and players.

Remnants of that philosophy still abide.  For instance, Ozzie shocked much of the managerial world when he did not hesitate to sit a guy when he was slumping.  Look at the manager on the North Side.  He's of the ol' school.  However, badly 'your' guy is doing, keep him in there.  He's your guy!

I lived through a lot those years before free agancy and while the reserve clause was in effect. I don't recall any parades in downtown Chicago.

Mem’ries,

Like the corners of my mind

Misty water-colored memories

Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,

Of the smiles we left behind

Smiles we gave to one another

For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then?

Or has time re-written every line?

If we had the chance to do it all again

Tell me, would we? could we?

Mem’ries, may be beautiful and yet

What’s too painful to remember

We simply choose to forget

So it’s the laughter

We will remember

Whenever we remember...

The way we were...

The way we were...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
All the teams were getting better, we couldn't afford to just stand pat. Hell, Toronto would've been a better team than us.

Yeah, okay.

Remember when you were telling me that Baltimore was a playoff team last year? I don't know how you go about evaluating teams, but something is just horribly wrong.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Yeah, okay. 

Remember when you were telling me that Baltimore was a playoff team last year?  I don't know how you go about evaluating teams, but something is just horribly wrong.

Baltimore was until Raffy f'd up, their pitching went down the sh*tter and they didn't want to make the proper moves for a strong run. You're telling me if that team is any other divisions minus the AL Central or East, they don't make the playoffs? I'll beg to differ. They would've made it in any of the other ones.

Toronto would've been a better team than us next year if we didn't make any moves. They get Halladay back for a full year, with Burnett, with Chacin(a year under his belt), with Ryan, and with Overbay.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Baltimore was until Raffy f'd up, their pitching went down the sh*tter and they didn't want to make the proper moves for a strong run. You're telling me if that team is any other divisions minus the AL Central or East, they don't make the playoffs? I'll beg to differ. They would've made it in any of the other ones.

Toronto would've been a better team than us next year if we didn't make any moves. They get Halladay back for a full year, with Burnett, with Chacin(a year under his belt), with Ryan, and with Overbay.

some teams are making moves to improve themselves, we need to do the same.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
I have been a fan as long as you and TLAK, and this is one of the Top 10 Dumbest Statements I have seen on this website.

I think the proper response wouldve been something more politically correct or constructive?! Come on JimH bashing your fellow fans this harshly hurts & is uncalled for! By calling my statement the top 10 dumbest statements you are in fact calling me dumb or at least in the top 10 dumbbutts. I havent even met you bro.... Come on Jason... This is not cool at all!

Come on, Baltimore had a pathetic starting staff last year. That was apparent right off the bat. You were trying to tell me that Cabrera and Chen were gonna lead them to the playoffs, remember? I know that you remember. Like I said before, I don't know where you get your baseball thoughts, or who influences you to think along these lines, but something is just horribly wrong.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)

soooo... Baltimore was good until they played bad? So basically they just werent good enough to make the playoffs? That would make them a bad team, or NOT a playoff team.

This is a load of crap, too. Chacin ain't nothing special. He would be a relief pitcher for us assuming that we kept the same precise starting staff as last year. Perhaps you also forgot about our superior bullpen and defense up the middle last year, but then again, I would expect as much from you.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
soooo... Baltimore was good until they played bad?  So basically they just werent good enough to make the playoffs?  That would make them a bad team, or NOT a playoff team.

Rock, that is it in a nutshell. They were good until they started playing bad. :lol:

Nope, Chen was not the second coming of Sandy Koufax after all!

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
This is a load of crap, too.  Chacin ain't nothing special.  He would be a relief pitcher for us assuming that we kept the same precise starting staff as last year.  Perhaps you also forgot about our superior bullpen and defense up the middle last year, but then again, I would expect as much from you.

Chacin not being anything special is a load of crap. Sure, Toronto overpaid for all of their additions this year, but they would've been better than the White Sox this year. I don't exactly remembering praising Chen and Cabrera. Could you link me? Honestly, I don't remember that. I like Cabrera's stuff, but that's as far as I remember in terms of praising. But please help me remember me. Oh yeah, since you know so much about me, what did I have for dinner last night?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Chacin not being anything special is a load of crap. Sure, Toronto overpaid for all of their additions this year, but they would've been better than the White Sox this year. I don't exactly remembering praising Chen and Cabrera. Could you link me? Honestly, I don't remember that. I like Cabrera's stuff, but that's as far as I remember in terms of praising. But please help me remember me. Oh yeah, since you know so much about me, what did I have for dinner last night?

No offense nite but there is no way the Blue Jays are better then last years sox team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
No offense nite but there is no way the Blue Jays are better then last years sox team.

I didn't say that. I said, they'd be better than this year's White Sox team with no moves. Thomas probably would've been hurt again, Everett would've kept on with his wild swing, no one to protect Konerko, and we wouldn't have gotten the same lucky bounces as we did last year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I didn't say that. I said, they'd be better than this year's White Sox team with no moves. Thomas probably would've been hurt again, Everett would've kept on with his wild swing, no one to protect Konerko, and we wouldn't have gotten the same lucky bounces as we did last year.

Would you like to compare pitching rotations, bullpens, defense or offense first to prove yourself wrong? You pick.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I think the proper response wouldve been something more politically correct or constructive?!  Come on JimH bashing your fellow fans this harshly hurts & is uncalled for!  By calling my statement the top 10 dumbest statements you are in fact calling me dumb or at least in the top 10 dumbbutts.  I havent even met you bro....  Come on Jason...  This is not cool at all!

He called your statement dumb... Jim's never far off the mark.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
I'd like to compare teams.

So, which aspect would you like to compare first?

Or would you like to compare just overall team aspects?

If I were you, I would stick to break out the parts of the team, because comparing the teams, I think going with the world champs would be a no-brainer. I DO believe our players and manager and GM have rings.