Brian West?

CWSGuy406

Caught this snippet at the end of the organizational reports. Anyone have any more information on this kid? Sorry if there's any typos, I'm typing it myself, not cut-and-paste...

Brian West, a righthander who was selected 35th overall in the 1999 draft (with a compensation pick for the loss of Albert Belle), returned to the White Sox after leaving during the 2004 season to play football at Louisiana State.  He participated in instructional league after rehabbing from shoulder surgery and will try to earn a roster spot in spring training.

Apparently, he's 24, so I probably shouldn't expect a whole lot, but why exactly did he go to the minors first, then to football? And then back to baseball? That seems to me to be an odd route...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
Caught this snippet at the end of the organizational reports.  Anyone have any more information on this kid?  Sorry if there's any typos, I'm typing it myself, not cut-and-paste...

Apparently, he's 24, so I probably shouldn't expect a whole lot, but why exactly did he go to the minors first, then to football?  And then back to baseball?  That seems to me to be an odd route...

He struggled in the minors, never realizing the potential the Sox thought he had. Apparently he was a HS All-America football player originally recruited by Nick Saban when he was at Michigan St. West's decision to quit baseball coincided with Saban getting the LSU job (I think it was actually a year later). It also coincided with him becoming seriously involved with a girl from that area (engaged, I think).

Whatever the reasons, West said he lost his love for baseball and decided to go back to school. He had already spoken to Saban about coming to LSU apparently.

West went from not having played football since the fall of 1998 to leaving the Barons in August and enrolling at LSU in 1994. Five months later he was playing a backup role at defensive end for LSU in the National Championship game.

He never became a starter at LSU, but played. His first year he was typically playing 12-15 downs a game. For some reason quit after last year when Saban went to the Dolphins. I guess he missed baseball again and contacted the Sox about coming back. When he originally left the Sox, there were rumors that the Sox pressed him to return part of his original signing bonus. That was never confirmed, nor was any outcome.

That is about all of the details I know.