Houston a trading partner?

beck72

As fans look to see who the sox could trade with [as Garland seems most likely to be dealt, if and when the time comes], it's speculating time as to who the sox could get.

Found this article and it seems the Astros were in the market for Vazquez. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=54801

It stands to reason that teams looking at Javier would also be interested in Jon. The article mentioned Willy Taveras as possibly available. Another name thrown out elsewhere has been Lidge. How sick of a bullpen would the sox have with Lidge? I'd like to see his contract status and see if that would match up for the sox and if the astros would part with him [as i've read he is on the market].

I tend to think Houston would only move Lidge for a real impact bat like Bobby Abreu. Of course it depends on whether they decide to wait for Clemens in May, or sign a cheaper starter etc.

Right now I think Baltimore are probably the best match for Garland. But some other teams that I think are possible trading partners are the Reds, Dodgers and Mariners.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Taveras is the type of player Ozzie would love.  He's a great bunter, can steal a lot of bases, and plays good defense.  But Brian Anderson will be better.

The Astros are shopping Lidge for an outfielder...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...ez/3516766.html

With the loss of Clemens, Garland would have to look good in a 'Stros uni. Esp. if they are built around pitching and defense.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
True, but they wouldn't give up Lidge for one year of Garland.  I doubt Garland and Anderson would bring Lidge either.

A guy like Lidge though would seem to fit in well with the type of deals KW has made--get a quality guy under control for a few yrs for less than market value by trade

There's always that '72 hour negotiating window' to offer teams to get a deal done w/ Jon

A guy like Lidge though would seem to fit in well with the type of deals KW has made--get a quality guy under control for a few yrs for less than market value by trade

There's always that '72 hour negotiating window' to offer teams to get a deal done w/ Jon

Garland wants to test free agency and see how high the bids go. KW and Garland's agent have said as much. Whatever team we trade Garland to would have to understand that they may only have him for one season.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:07 AM)
Another name thrown out elsewhere has been Lidge. How sick of a bullpen would the sox have with Lidge? I'd like to see his contract status and see if that would match up for the sox and if the astros would part with him [as i've read he is on the market].

Lidge is a b**** and he got his b****-ass rocked by us. haha. we don't need him anyway, we need a lefty.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
With the loss of Clemens, Garland would have to look good in a 'Stros uni. Esp. if they are built around pitching and defense.

I'm pretty sure Clemens can and will resign with Houston after May 1. He's getting ready for the World Championships, so I'm guessing he'll want to pitch another year.

Lidge is a pipe dream, and this isn't the first time it's been mentioned. It'd probably take a young, cheap, productive OF, something we don't have. Taveras would be interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of having two speed guys with no power at the top of the order. As I said when we were mentioned with Pierre, I just have nightmares of Crede/Uribe/Anderson hitting a double with no or 1 out and Pods and our new #2 having to drive him in. I'd much rather have someone like Crawford or Damon hitting number two: decent power and speed with the ability to drive in a big run.

I'd think that the Astros would be much more desperately trying to get someone that can hit. That was obviously their problem last year. They'll still have Pettitte and Oswalt, they seem to like Backe, and Clemens still might be back. The back end of the order is absolutely brutal. I could see why they might want a starter if they could get one with Pettitte and Oswalt being FA's in the coming years, but I wouldn't think that it's a priority.

Brian Anderson >>>>> Willie Taveras

For the type of player Taveras is, he needs to put up a much higher OBP to be good, and considering the fact he sucked anywhere outside of Minute Maid Park, I wouldn't want to see him in Chicago.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Brian Anderson >>>>> Willie Taveras

For the type of player Taveras is, he needs to put up a much higher OBP to be good, and considering the fact he sucked anywhere outside of Minute Maid Park, I wouldn't want to see him in Chicago.

I'm doing Garland for Lidge every day of the week and I think the Stros would consider it

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
Lidge is a b**** and he got his b****-ass rocked by us.  haha.  we don't need him anyway, we need a lefty.

Two bad pitches doesn't turn an all star closer into a Todd Ritchie clone. Anyway, buy low is the motto w/ regards to Lidge

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm pretty sure Clemens can and will resign with Houston after May 1.  He's getting ready for the World Championships, so I'm guessing he'll want to pitch another year.

He'll be pitching elsewhere in 2006 or he'll be coaching kids in texas

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Two bad pitches doesn't turn an all star closer into a Todd Ritchie clone. Anyway, buy low is the motto w/ regards to Lidge

Lidge's arm history is a red flag but his contract somewhat negates those concerns. He's a legit stud. He is perfect insurance for Jenks. I just don't know how he'd feel about going to the 8th inning (personally I'd send Jenks to the 8th and have Lidge as my man in the 9th)

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Lidge's arm history is a red flag but his contract somewhat negates those concerns. He's a legit stud. He is perfect insurance for Jenks. I just don't know how he'd feel about going to the 8th inning (personally I'd send Jenks to the 8th and have Lidge as my man in the 9th)

If the sox got lidge, it wouldn't be him going to the 8th inning. Yet both would see time

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Houston has some high level pitching prospects don't they?  Carlos Hernandez seems to ring a bell, but I don't know their system at all.

That was a few years back. Lefty IIRC, but he's had injury problems and was in the majors a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about him in a while though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
That was a few years back.  Lefty IIRC, but he's had injury problems and was in the majors a few years ago.  Haven't heard anything about him in a while though.

Injuries have made him lose most of his stuff. I'll be surprised if he's ever a solid starter in the majors again.