Garland For......

DBAHO

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
How about Jon Garland to the Cardinals for P Adam Wainwright and an up and coming MR in the Cards organization.

well, there are no such things as MR prospects. You're either being groomed to be a starter or a closer, failing and settling into a MR role; or you're left-handed.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I swear I posted in this thread, but I don't see it anywhere

anyway what I meant to say was...if you could have Garland for 06 only knowing he'd walk but you'd get to at least to the CS (not knowing whether you'd win or lose the CS or series) or two top prospects, which would you rather have?

But you can't guarantee a LCS berth.

The issue really is do you move Garland now for a need/prospects who are less suspect than draft picks, or hold onto him and pick up a couple draft picks when he leave.... The draft picks are less likely to pay off, and are farther down the line from contributing.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I swear I posted in this thread, but I don't see it anywhere

anyway what I meant to say was...if you could have Garland for 06 only knowing he'd walk but you'd get to at least to the CS (not knowing whether you'd win or lose the CS or series) or two top prospects, which would you rather have?

You would keep him. How many people would have been upset the Sox didn't move Konerko and get something for him last winter if he had signed with the Angels? Of course it was a different circumstance. The White Sox didn't want to negotiate with Konerko last year. If the Sox don't trade Garland, what you get for him if he walks is a season of his pitching, which, if he pitches anywhere near last year is a good deal, plus a couple of draft picks.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
But you can't guarantee a LCS berth.

The issue really is do you move Garland now for a need/prospects who are less suspect than draft picks, or hold onto him and pick up a couple draft picks when he leave.... The draft picks are less likely to pay off, and are farther down the line from contributing.

I'm asking you to play along with me and peer into the Crystal ball. Would you take Garland or the prospects if you knew you had a pretty good shot at another title with him?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm asking you to play along with me and peer into the Crystal ball. Would you take Garland or the prospects if you knew you had a pretty good shot at another title with him?

Either way you end up with 2 solid spects. One just comes from the draft. Obviously you would keep him if you were for sure making the ALCS, then just get the 2 draft picks.

Well one team with a need for an innings eating starter, who has the money to re-sign Garland would be the LAAAAA Angels. Their top starter was injured, and they could really use a starter who could go over 200 innings. That could be Vaz, or Garland. And they have the money for both, and the prospects for us.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)

If I were convinced that we didn't have a shot at the title without Garland, I'd say keep him and make the run for it.

However, we currently have 6 starting pitchers. 5 of them won 10+ games last year, and the 6th may be the best of all of them. If you can still hold onto 5 really good starting pitchers, and still make an LCS run, and at the same time bolster your team in the near-term by trading Garland, I'd say do it.

I think we can make a run without him now that we have 5 other pitchers. And I think that a trade may very well help us make that run.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Well one team with a need for an innings eating starter, who has the money to re-sign Garland would be the LAAAAA Angels.  Their top starter was injured, and they could really use a starter who could go over 200 innings.  That could be Vaz, or Garland.  And they have the money for both, and the prospects for us.

better option than the Cards.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
I know what we should do. Stick Garland in the bullpen. He'll be good out of the bullpen with that sinker, plus it lessens his value as a middle reliever big time. Then we resign him to a 7 mil a year deal and he'll be forced to accept or be on another one year deal. That way, McCarthy can start.

Yeah, that wouldn't cause any dissension at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Well one team with a need for an innings eating starter, who has the money to re-sign Garland would be the LAAAAA Angels.  Their top starter was injured, and they could really use a starter who could go over 200 innings.  That could be Vaz, or Garland.  And they have the money for both, and the prospects for us.

I'm asking for Brandon Wood. I don't care if the LAAA GM hangs up on you, doesn't hurt to ask. If, of course, the scenario came up with a trade to the Halos...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
I'm asking for Brandon Wood.  I don't care if the LAAA GM hangs up on you, doesn't hurt to ask.  If, of course, the scenario came up with a trade to the Halos...

To be honest, that would be the only way I'd trade Jon to the Angels if one of the spects we were getting back was Brandon Wood. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to send him to an AL playoff contender.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
To be honest, that would be the only way I'd trade Jon to the Angels if one of the spects we were getting back was Brandon Wood.  Otherwise, I'd prefer not to send him to an AL playoff contender.

Agreed. If it came down to the Angels and White Sox for the Wild Card, if Garland beats the Sox, no more love for KW.