Shut it before I tape yer mouth shut...

Steff

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I was a child that his mouth taped shut, in a public school no less.  I'm just stating that for the record.  However, as a parent, I ran into a situation.  When one of my boys was in grade school, I was told that if he acted up again he would receive corporal punishment.  I proceeded to tell the principal that was not acceptable.  All they had to do was call me and I would handle any situation.  I was told that if they felt the situation called for immediate corporal punishment they would administer it.  I then proceeded to inform the principle that if my child was given corporal punshment that I would administer corpaoral punishment to the person who took it upon theirself to assualt my child.  In other words, I'd beat the hell out of whoever it was.  I was told that if I took such action, that I would be thrown in jail and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  I responded that may the case, but I'll still get my pound of flesh and whatever happens to me,  happens.  The issue never came up again.

^ :notworthy

I would administer corpaoral punishment to the person who took it upon theirself to assualt my child.  In other words, I'd beat the hell out of whoever it was. 

what if they were a total badass and in your attempt to get retribution you were the one who got the 'hell beat out of'? oh what a sad scenerio.

I was a child that his mouth taped shut, in a public school no less.  I'm just stating that for the record.  However, as a parent, I ran into a situation.  When one of my boys was in grade school, I was told that if he acted up again he would receive corporal punishment.  I proceeded to tell the principal that was not acceptable.  All they had to do was call me and I would handle any situation.  I was told that if they felt the situation called for immediate corporal punishment they would administer it.  I then proceeded to inform the principle that if my child was given corporal punshment that I would administer corpaoral punishment to the person who took it upon theirself to assualt my child.  In other words, I'd beat the hell out of whoever it was.  I was told that if I took such action, that I would be thrown in jail and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  I responded that may the case, but I'll still get my pound of flesh and whatever happens to me,  happens.  The issue never came up again.

:notworthy I had the same conversation with the school. When their response was about the same, I asked why it was ok for them to hit my kid, but it wasn't ok for me to hit them?

No one is hitting my kids, taping their mouth shut, etc.

As far as respectng authority, it teached the kids when you have the power, get physical, that the only way to maintain respect is by force. There are better ways.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:16 AM)
:notworthy I had the same conversation with the school. When their response was about the same, I asked why it was ok for them to hit my kid, but it wasn't ok for me to hit them?

No one is hitting my kids, taping their mouth shut, etc.

As far as respectng authority, it teached the kids when you have the power, get physical, that the only way to maintain respect is by force. There are better ways.

There are times in life when you absolutely have to make a stand. This was one of those.

For the past 10 years or so, I've been taking kids into the woods and streams, giving them knives, guns, sharp hooks, fire tools, and all sorts of dangerous objects. Along the way, they have hiked up mountains, waded steams, cared for themselves and others, been pushed to their limits physically and mentally, and I have never needed to resort to corporal punishment to keep them behaving. Actually within the Boy Scout program that would make me an ex-leader in about 30 seconds. Resorting to hazing would make me an ex leader in about a minute and a half.