Keep Joe Crede

VAfan

Joe Crede's name has been brought up by, among others, Phil Rogers, who thinks we ought to trade Jon Garland AND Joe Crede for Hank Blalock. Egads: When you look at Blalock's road numbers of a .335 slugging average and a .276 OBP, however, you realize what a stupid move that would be.

The dilemma of Joe Crede is that he's a horribly streaky hitter. Here are his splits last year, by month:

April 79 12 24 6 0 2 9 5 3 9 0 0 .304 .368 .456 .824

May 84 8 13 2 0 3 9 5 2 17 0 1 .155 .211 .286 .496

June 80 11 22 3 0 6 17 5 2 10 1 0 .275 .333 .538 .871

July 69 10 21 5 0 4 12 4 0 11 0 0 .304 .342 .551 .893

August 58 2 6 1 0 1 1 2 1 10 0 0 .103 .148 .172 .320

September 58 11 22 4 0 6 13 4 0 8 0 0 .379 .419 .759 1.178

In April, June, July, and September, the man is in the top 6 OFFENSIVE 3Bs in baseball. He's better than Eric Chavez, for example, whose OPS was .794. The question is what is going to take for Crede to eliminate his horrible streaks of May and August??

Personally, I think he's already found it in fatherhood and postseason glory. I expect we will see Joe hit 30 or more HRs, with a .500+ slugging percentage and an OPS in the .850+ range next year, and then carry those kind of numbers forward into his early 30s. He'd be a very good #6 hitter behind Konerko and Thome (I'd hit Dye 3rd, but that's another post). And with his defense already better than everyone above him offensively except possibly A-Rod, Joe Crede will be one of the 5 best 3Bs in the game in the next couple of years. The only thing that might derail that is his back.

So, please stop with the "trade Joe Crede" ideas. Boras or no, KW should put signing JC to a multi-year deal at the top of his list of remaining offseason things to do.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Joe Crede's name has been brought up by, among others, Phil Rogers, who thinks we ought to trade Jon Garland AND Joe Crede for Hank Blalock.  Egads: When you look at Blalock's road numbers of a .335 slugging average and a .276 OBP, however, you realize what a stupid move that would be.   

The dilemma of Joe Crede is that he's a horribly streaky hitter.  Here are his splits last year, by month:

April  79 12 24 6 0 2 9 5 3 9 0 0 .304 .368 .456 .824

May  84 8 13 2 0 3 9 5 2 17 0 1 .155 .211 .286 .496

June  80 11 22 3 0 6 17 5 2 10 1 0 .275 .333 .538 .871

July  69 10 21 5 0 4 12 4 0 11 0 0 .304 .342 .551 .893

August  58 2 6 1 0 1 1 2 1 10 0 0 .103 .148 .172 .320

September  58 11 22 4 0 6 13 4 0 8 0 0 .379 .419 .759 1.178

In April, June, July, and September, the man is in the top 6 OFFENSIVE 3Bs in baseball.  He's better than Eric Chavez, for example, whose OPS was .794.  The question is what is going to take for Crede to eliminate his horrible streaks of May and August??

Personally, I think he's already found it in fatherhood and postseason glory.  I expect we will see Joe hit 30 or more HRs, with a .500+ slugging percentage and an OPS in the .850+ range next year, and then carry those kind of numbers forward into his early 30s.  He'd be a very good #6 hitter behind Konerko and Thome (I'd hit Dye 3rd, but that's another post).  And with his defense already better than everyone above him offensively except possibly A-Rod, Joe Crede will be one of the 5 best 3Bs in the game in the next couple of years.  The only thing that might derail that is his back.

So, please stop with the "trade Joe Crede" ideas.  Boras or no, KW should put signing JC to a multi-year deal at the top of his list of remaining offseason things to do.

Its Mr No trades.

Dont trade Joe Borchard, he may become Babe Ruth.

Dont get rid of Timo Perez, he may hit 340 next year.

Dont trade any one of our prospects, Scott Ruffcorn could of been a Cy Young winner.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
This has been said for years that Joe Crede is the next superstar but its been over 5 years now and we are all still waiting for him to be what you say "one of the 5 best 3bs in the game".

Also Blalock >>> Crede.

However Garland and Crede >>> Blalock.

That was never the trade in question. Just something VA made up to start these dumb threads.

heres the link

VA,

Seriously dude, why?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
The only thing that might derail that is his back.

That is the biggest factor, regardless of what he has done, if his back acts up and he has to have surgery, it will be a long road back (no pun intended). That is probably the main reason why his name keeps popping up.

When trading players it normally comes down to contracts or health.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
i'd just like to make one very important point

borchard > pujols.

trust me on this one guys.  and also, lorenzo barcelo is coming back with a vengance.  so resign him and don't trade him.

Are you serious?

Try

borchard >>> pujols

Borchard is WAY better defensively, and he also can crack a mean pistachio shell.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
first off we dont make the deicsions thats whitesox orginazation decision. Second next offseason he could be gone due to scot boras being his agent. I will be lookin foward 2006 season.

Joe Crede is not a fa after this season.

Has anyone else ever seen "Groundhogs Day"?

:lol:

:lolhitting

Mike, this guy VAFan, he starts a redundant thread, gets it merged, and no more than 5 minutes later he starts a new thread with the exact same topic, only a different spin on it.

As fathom would say:

"Is it just me, or does anyone else around here think VAFan just doesn't get it?"

Despite all the hell you're catching for this thread, I agree with the premise completely. I think Joe is finally comfortable in Chicago and is ready to live up to some of the hype. There is no denying that his swing and approach at the plate looked COMPLETELY different after his stint on the DL. The guy figured something out. It's rather hypocritical to say that the Count will be one the best pitchers in the MLs this season because of the way he pitched in the second half, and then, in the next breath, say that Joe won't keep up the pace he started last September. Blalock is a good ballplayer, but I think he's still working through some struggles. Joe may have already made it past that stage. I don't see a point in sticking with a guy for 3 years while he's sucked ass and then trade him when he finally starts to show some promise.

Despite all the hell you're catching for this thread, I agree with the premise completely.  I think Joe is finally comfortable in Chicago and is ready to live up to some of the hype.  There is no denying that his swing and approach at the plate looked COMPLETELY different after his stint on the DL.  The guy figured something out.  It's rather hypocritical to say that the Count will be one the best pitchers in the MLs this season because of the way he pitched in the second half, and then, in the next breath, say that Joe won't keep up the pace he started last September.  Blalock is a good ballplayer, but I think he's still working through some struggles.  Joe may have already made it past that stage.  I don't see a point in sticking with a guy for 3 years while he's sucked ass and then trade him when he finally starts to show some promise.

It has everything to do with health and his impending contract status.

I cannot recall the last time the White Sox worked something out successfully with Boras. They couldn't get it done with Scott Shoeneweis so I doubt they will get it done with Crede. Especially if the guy breaks out this year. Plus the bad back.

If you have a chance to get Blalock you do it IMO.

There is a big reason why the White Sox have only one Boras client and why they never draft any, or trade for any.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
This has been said for years that Joe Crede is the next superstar but its been over 5 years now and we are all still waiting for him to be what you say "one of the 5 best 3bs in the game".

Also Blalock >>> Crede.

However Garland and Crede >>> Blalock.

Forgive my algebra but given:

Blalock >>> Crede

Garland + Crede >>> Blalock

Are you saying that:

Garland >>>>>> Blalock?

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
It has everything to do with health and his impending contract status.

I cannot recall the last time the White Sox worked something out successfully with Boras.  They couldn't get it done with Scott Shoeneweis so I doubt they will get it done with Crede.  Especially if the guy breaks out this year.    Plus the bad back.

If you have a chance to get Blalock you do it IMO.

There is a big reason why the White Sox have only one Boras client and why they never draft any, or trade for any.

What was the point of getting Mackowiak if Joe is on the block?

I posted a question a few days ago concerning Joe possibly dumping Boras. I wonder if KW has even approached Joe about signing a deal or, if it's legal, encouraged Joe to dump Boras so that they can start negotiating a deal?

Blalock just doesn't wow me with those road #'s. I have no doubt he'd hit well at the Cell, but why not keep Crede and trade Garland for some good prospects?

Versatility and depth. He is great insurance for several positions in addition to 3B.

Remember though, they targeted Mackowiak. I think they like him and try to acquire him no matter who is at 3B.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)

I posted a question a few days ago concerning Joe possibly dumping Boras.  I wonder if KW has even approached Joe about signing a deal or, if it's legal, encouraged Joe to dump Boras so that they can start negotiating a deal? 

Blalock just doesn't wow me with those road #'s.  I have no doubt he'd hit well at the Cell, but why not keep Crede and trade Garland for some good prospects?

Crede @ Home:

.235 BA .281 OBP .441 SLG

Blalock + High Level Prospect + Reliever > Crede + Garland