Keep Joe Crede

VAfan

After being frustrated by Crede's offense all regular season long, he did turn it on in the post-season. I get a feeling that he may have finally found his groove. I would like to keep him, but there's this BorASS in the way, which will make things difficult.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Its Mr No trades.

Dont trade Joe Borchard, he may become Babe Ruth. 

Dont get rid of Timo Perez, he may hit 340 next year.

Dont trade any one of our prospects, Scott Ruffcorn could of been a Cy Young winner.

Scott Ruffcorn. Brings back some old memories. What about Mike Caruso, shouldnt he be winning his fifth gold glove by now?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
i'd just like to make one very important point

borchard > pujols.

trust me on this one guys.  and also, lorenzo barcelo is coming back with a vengance.  so resign him and don't trade him.

I'm not sure why, but this last part cracked me up.

I do not know as much as many of you do. I personally do not want to see Crede go anywhere right now. Yes he is streaky when he hits. His nickname was in my group of Sox fans, Crede Pops Up! However, he is there in the clutch every time we need him, and there was one particular game, don't remember exactly which, but we brought him in in the 11th inning and he did not do it. I then knew the game was over. Every other time though he did do it. The Cleveland game, perfect example, he hit the walk off that predicted our post season, without that game we had no chance. That Tuesday nite, that Cleveland game was the make or break of our season, IMO. A normal at bat and he will pop out, but when we need him, he comes through! His fielding is awesome! He does really great in the HOT corner! When he screws up it is big, but I believe his overall preformance is one not to lose. I am sure there are better guys out there on paper. Like I said I am not as knowledgable as I am sure many of you are, but my vote is keep Crede.

Edited by chisoxgrl

If Crede had a healthy back and a reasonable agent, I say keep him. But the reality is that he has a bad back and a, well, less than reasonable agent. If his back goes out, he produces nothing. If he can stay healthy, we lose him to free agency. What's the point in keeping him?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
If Crede had a healthy back and a reasonable agent, I say keep him.  But the reality is that he has a bad back and a, well, less than reasonable agent.  If his back goes out, he produces nothing.  If he can stay healthy, we lose him to free agency.  What's the point in keeping him?

Stop it, Yasny. You're making too much sense.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

I like how guys who have not been on this board as long as I have come in to tell me to get lost.

And to all of you who ridiculed me for urging the Sox to sign Brian Giles, not a single one of you has made any credible argument that it would not have been a tremendous move from the Sox standpoint. A fair response to my posts would have been - Giles is a great offensive force (better than Konerko last year, by the way) who would fit great on the Sox - but there's no chance he's leaving San Diego.

So now let me turn to the non-responses on Joe Crede. Almost all the posts above have nothing really to say on point.

The issue is - is Crede over the hump where he's going to stop having terrible months, thereby turning himself into one of the best 3Bs in baseball? Or is his makeup or his back going to keep him from realizing his potential?

That's the topic. If he's the former, then pay the man now and keep him. If he's the latter, then keep arbitrating him until he's free to go.

So which is it for Crede? Answer the point and give a reason why.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
And to all of you who ridiculed me for urging the Sox to sign Brian Giles, not a single one of you has made any credible argument that it would not have been a tremendous move from the Sox standpoint.  A fair response to my posts would have been - Giles is a great offensive force (better than Konerko last year, by the way) who would fit great on the Sox - but there's no chance he's leaving San Diego. 

I think we've all told you like a million times that moving Pods to center just isn't an option, as good as Giles is offensively it just wouldnt be worth it.

EDIT: Also you weren't getting ridiculed for suggesting Giles you were getting ridiculed for bringing it up over and over and over again.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
I think we've all told you like a million times that moving Pods to center just isn't an option, as good as Giles is offensively it just wouldnt be worth it.

EDIT: Also you weren't getting ridiculed for suggesting Giles you were getting ridiculed for bringing it up over and over and over again.

Crede's not a free agent for 3 more seasons. Who cares who is agent is at this point?

His contract is dirt-cheap.

What better 3B is available?

No use giving up talent for a non-upgrade.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Crede's not a free agent for 3 more seasons.  Who cares who is agent is at this point?

His contract is dirt-cheap.

What better 3B is available?

No use giving up talent for a non-upgrade.

The main issue with Crede, apparently, is his back. The Sox seem to have some real concerns about it.

I think the bottom line is Joe's health. The Sox don't want to trade him, but if they had to package him to upgrade at that position, then so be it.

No team wants questions marks when it comes to a player's health, and when you couple that with another issue like a bad agent, then it makes parting with players that much easier.

I personally would love to see Joe carry his post season momentum into a solid consistent year at the plate. Let Mack come in once a week to give Joe's back some rest and to give Mack some AB's.

It's actually quite unfortunate the way things have played out with Crede. We've been waiting a few seasons for him to produce to the level that we knew that he was capable of, and for most of 2005 and the playoffs, he showed us that.

But now with this back injury that won't get better over time and the Bora$$, I'd say right now the odds are squarely at 50:50 for a Crede return. If Joe decides to pull a Juan Uribe and switch agents, that jumps to about 70:30.

Let's hope Josh Fields has a good season down at Charlotte and that plate discipline really improves.