Garland for prospects ? ? ? ?

spiderman

After skimming through all the fun trade scenarios, whether it's trading Garland (and others) for Blalock, Tejada, Crawford, etc, would you be happy if Kenny Williams trades Garland for a good prospect or two ?

I know the minor league system is one reason we were able to get Thome, and Vazquez, but I also want to repeat next season. I'd rather have Garland, and McCarthy out of the bullpen (as insurance in case of injury) then have the minor league system get reloaded (potentially).

What say you ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
After skimming through all the fun trade scenarios, whether it's trading Garland (and others) for Blalock, Tejada, Crawford, etc, would you be happy if Kenny Williams trades Garland for a good prospect or two ?

I know the minor league system is one reason we were able to get Thome, and Vazquez, but I also want to repeat next season. I'd rather have Garland, and McCarthy out of the bullpen (as insurance in case of injury) then have the minor league system get reloaded (potentially).

What say you ?

If he won't resign and is for sure going to test the FA market next season, I wouldn't mind trading him for something so that we don't completly lose out on something unless he becomes one of the players that gets us a draft pick if he goes somewhere else.

If you got the right prospects then somehow, someway-our big league team AND our farm system will have improved in the same offseason as our improved offense can overcome any drop in pitching (given a full season of Contreras doigng well I actually think our rotation will be better this year even without Garland). We lose Chris Young and Gio Gonzalez which hurt but if you replace them with two great prospects in a Garland deal, then you are in good shape. I think you talk to the Dodgers about Billingsley and Guzman. You feel the DBacks out on Stephen Drew (not very damn likely though). You talk to the Angels about Brandon Wood. I love how Kenny Williams has put himself in a position where he doesn't NEED to do something, he has more options than anyone in baseball right now-Billy Beane included

I think one of the keys has to be sending Garland to the NL. Obviously, you do not trade him to somebody in your division. But if we are in the wild card at the end (hypothetically), I would not want to be pitted against the team that has Garland. I would love to see Garland go to an NL Central that is not in Chicago.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I think Brandon Wood is an untouchable for the Angels.

He very well may be because Stoneman has shown a reluctance for moving prospects that you don't see from Big market teams by and large. I do however think you could get someone near that ilk for Garland. I mentioned Wood because the Angels are a natural fit since he'd want to resign there and some of the Angels prospects (Mathis, Kotchman, Morales) play positions we won't trade for. I don't know as much about Hendrick or Aybar but I'm sure our scouting staff knows a bit about them

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
He very well may be because Stoneman has shown a reluctance for moving prospects that you don't see from Big market teams by and large. I do however think you could get someone near that ilk for Garland. I mentioned Wood because the Angels are a natural fit since he'd want to resign there and some of the Angels prospects (Mathis, Kotchman, Morales) play positions we won't trade for. I don't know as much about Hendrick or Aybar but I'm sure our scouting staff knows a bit about them

True. I mean Garland would net you something really good from the Angels. I just think Wood is their guy.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
True. I mean Garland would net you something really good from the Angels. I just think Wood is their guy.

No disagreement there. Wood is in that class with Delmon Young and pretty much no one else. Here's a legitimate question, and mind you it loses some steam as the Rays won't be able to sign Garland to an extension, but how about BJ Upton for Garland. They are yo-yo-ing Upton around as they have concerns with his erratic D. Just a thought. Another possible match is with Scott Kazmir. This is more realistic. Kazmir was offered for Alfonso Soriano (who is in the identical boat as Garland in terms of contract and resignability). It wouldn't really solve the glut of starting pitchers but would give us a guy we can control for a long time

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
No disagreement there. Wood is in that class with Delmon Young and pretty much no one else. Here's a legitimate question, and mind you it loses some steam as the Rays won't be able to sign Garland to an extension, but how about BJ Upton for Garland. They are yo-yo-ing Upton around as they have concerns with his erratic D. Just a thought. Another possible match is with Scott Kazmir. This is more realistic. Kazmir was offered for Alfonso Soriano (who is in the identical boat as Garland in terms of contract and resignability). It wouldn't really solve the glut of starting pitchers but would give us a guy we can control for a long time

I would look at Upton. His potential is up there big time and at the very least, you could flip him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
I would look at Upton. His potential is up there big time and at the very least, you could flip him.

Well the great thing about Upton is that he has the athletic ability to play Short, third, Center, you name it. He'd instantly be our new Centerfielder and he'd be a future superstar

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
I don't know about that. Young has said as soon as his 6 years are up, he's gone.

Exactly...but they still have 6 years with him, and they're hoping to build their team up in 2 to 4 years where they can compete with these guys. Out of everyone in baseball, Upton and Young might be 2 of the 10 most unlikely guys to get traded.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)

What say you ?

No, I'd rather hold onto him in case any of our other starters get injured and than if necessary we can always deal him at the deadline to fill another hole or get prospects.

I like the idea of building up our farm system, but we better get a hell of a lot in return for a 26 year old coming off a very strong season.

At the same time, I like strengthening our team and I think Kenny does as well. He ain't going to be dealing Garland for prospects, he's gonna do it for a good major league position player, plus a reliever (or a hell of minor prospect that he thinks can come right up and be a good reliever) and than maybe a prospect on top of that (depending on if we give up something else).

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
If he won't resign and is for sure going to test the FA market next season, I wouldn't mind trading him for something so that we don't completly lose out on something unless he becomes one of the players that gets us a draft pick if he goes somewhere else.

Remember, we can always let him walk and get 2 high draft picks for him (although that won't result in immediate help to our farm system, its a good way to start).