6 man starting rotation

Balta1701

Should the White Sox use a 6 man starting rotation to open the 2006 season?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should the White Sox use a 6 man starting rotation to open the 2006 season?

• Yes, it will keep our pitchers fresh
    • Yes, but only if no good trades are available
    • No, 1 pitcher must be moved even if it is not for equal value
    • No, 1 pitcher should start the season in the bullpen/AAA

So, I've seen a couple of White Sox people mention this as a possibility this offseason, and I thought it would make an interesting poll/discussion topic.

Right now, the White Sox have 6 starting pitchers. Mark, Freddy, Javier, Jose, Jon, and BMac (in no particular order). Almost every other team in baseball next year will break camp with 5 starters, even if some of them aren't that good.

The Sox also have 3 of those starters (Mark, Freddy, and Javier) currently signed up to pitch in the "World Baseball Classic" next spring. This will likely add extra innings to their totals, and 4 of those guys pitched heavy loads last year through a long playoff run.

So here's what I'd like to know. Given the WBC and the playoffs last year giving our guys extra work, and the sheer amount of talent we have on our starting staff, should we consider using a 6 man rotation, even if it's just for a limited time during the year.

Here's your options:

Yes, we should, at least for a time. The extra rest will help people, and it will likely help build trade value for our pitchers once the season starts.

Yes we should, but it should be a 2nd option - if we can find someone who will give us a potential all-star in exchange for Jon or Jose (whichever one won't sign) we should pull the trigger on the trade first. The extra rest isn't as important as getting good value.

No, we shouldn't...it's insanity to think of giving up a roster spot to an extra starting pitcher when that pitcher could get us something of value in a trade...we should move a starter, preferably someone who's not under contract for 07, to whatever team gives us the best offer, even if it's not fair to us.

No we shouldn't - we should either start 1 pitcher off in the bullpen or 1 pitcher (Basically BMac) off at AAA. We could use the long relief, and it will give guys like Vazquez and BMac time to work out any problems they might have.

Well, what do you think? 6 man rotation or no?

I think alot depends on what they have in mind for BMac. Why start a guy you plan on using for long relief. Maybe go with the thinking if he's not getting that much work...sure...a spot start every now and then. Personally I'm not crazy about that idea. I think it'll probably be a moot point anyway.

The only way i'd consider it is if they cant find good enough value for garland, who now pretty much has to traded (or at least someone does). You never want to give away good starting pitching without getting enough in return. If they cant move garland for someone good, why trade him? BMAC has to be in the rotation this year, so i dont see whats wrong with a 6 headed monster.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
I actually think that changing the 5 man rotation in baseball is a good idea, but I think the wrong way. You'd have to carry 12-13 pitchers to have 6 starters

yeah i think they should go back to a 4-man rotation. If a pitcher is gonna throw 5 1/3 innings he can do it just as easily in a 4-man rotation. Plus you get one extra pitcher who won't be making $6 Million a year. A lot of pitchers pitch better when they are tired (sinkerballers like Jon Garland and Buehrle pitches better on short rest.)

I'm against the six man rotation with the sox. Most of Us feel mcarthy needs to be in the rotation because of his performance last year. We need to trade garland for some prospects to eliminate this problem. We need to make up for the losses of chris young, gio, and DH.

I voted for the second option. We should definitely get something of value while we still can for Garland/Contreras. However, if no team comes up with something decent, I say hold on to them till at least the trading deadline. Might as well take advantage of Garcia's splits. With a 6 man rotation, you could guarantee most of his starts to be on the road where he pitches better. I also get a feeling Vazquez will pitch noticeably better away from the Cell. I don't think we make a trade just for prospects, unless it's an Andy Marte type, that just doesn't fit with Kenny's "win now" attitude. I'm thinking we get a major league piece, as in a great reliever, and a great prospect. Of course, I'm still holding out some asinine hope about Tejada...

This question was asked to Steve Stone today on Murph, and he said a 6 man rotation is a really bad idea because it will only make it harder on control pitchers like Buehrle to maintain command. Therefore, either BMac is in the bullpen or Garland is traded.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
This question was asked to Steve Stone today on Murph, and he said a 6 man rotation is a really bad idea because it will only make it harder on control pitchers like Buehrle to maintain command. Therefore, either BMac is in the bullpen or Garland is traded.

he said that he thinks we should go back to a 4-man rotation and after thinking about what he said about it I agree with him.

If you have a 6 man rotation, your best pitcher goes every 6th game not every 5th. I think what you'll see, if Garland isn't traded, is BMac being used as a bridge to setup-closer guys in order to keep the starters innings down for the 1st couple of months. Eventually, Garland will be traded and BMac moved into the rotation.