Possible Garland and Uribe

Sonik22

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Of course you agree as should everyone. The next person to make a Carl Everett trade joke should be banned.

to be fair i think some people believe we'll trade for carl again, BUT I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY

secondly,(not directed to you)

if anderson has a .320 OBP i'll be happy with him, That would be very nice if you ask me

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Tejada's asking price is high, as we all assumed it would be:

Will they or won't they? The Orioles' position on trading shortstop Miguel Tejada remains unclear.

The Orioles have spent the past week exchanging trade proposals with interested clubs, but the odds of them completing a Tejada deal still appear remote.

While the Cubs, Angels, Red Sox and possibly White Sox covet Tejada, the Orioles rarely have completed blockbuster trades under owner Peter Angelos, the exception being last winter's Sammy Sosa deal that was little more than a salary dump by the Cubs.

For Tejada, the Orioles' asking price might be prohibitive. They rightly view Tejada as one of the game's biggest stars, a player who might command a $90 million deal if he were a free agent this off-season. They aren't interested in a four-for-one deal that combines overpaid veterans and unproven youngsters. They want players comparable to Tejada — Manny Ramirez, Mark Prior, etc. And Ramirez alone won't be enough.

-from Ken Rosenthal

The O's aren't getting any of that, so it's either us or he's staying in Baltimore.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
Then the Sox are f***ed.

I would welcome Carl back at the deadline. If we were making a push for the playoffs his bat off the bench would be a nice addition. There are certainly worse people you can trade for. Plus he's only on a 1 year deal this time...We won't need him though, hopefully.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
I don't like trading 2 more members of our title team.

Even for Tejada.

Uribe was awesome in the Series.

He ain't half bad and Jon was incredible.

Look at it this way, Greg. The Sox aren't loading themselves up for 1 year shot at the title again like the Florida Marlins, they want to contend for few more years yet, and the acquisition of Javier Vazquez shows that.

What KW has to weigh up is it worth trading Garland now for some elite prospects and allow B-Mac to start, or keep Jon, when you know he's going to bolt, and just take the 2 draft picks?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Look at it this way, Greg. The Sox aren't loading themselves up for 1 year shot at the title again like the Florida Marlins, they want to contend for few more years yet, and the acquisition of Javier Vazquez shows that.

What KW has to weigh up is it worth trading Garland now for some elite prospects and allow B-Mac to start, or keep Jon, when you know he's going to bolt, and just take the 2 draft picks?

But then you have to look at Vazquez playoffs vs Garlands in the playoffs statistics. Vazquez got bombed when he was in NY. Garland was awesome in the playoffs. And if Vazquez will be the guy left out come playoff time for the rotation is McCarthy ready to step his game up in the playoffs? I'm sure Kenny is considering all this- not just the regular season. I like the fact that he's thinking further than 2006, but is trading Garland for pitching prospects help us anytime soon? Probably not. If KW trades Garland i hope it will be for an excellent reliever or a center fielder and some pitching prospects. So far Houston, Texas, and Baltamore have called KW that we know of in regards to Jon G. I hope he waits until the complete best offer is on table. I also hope he waits until Contreras and AJ P are signed to deals.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:21 AM)
But then you have to look at Vazquez playoffs vs Garlands in the playoffs statistics. Vazquez got bombed when he was in NY. Garland was awesome in the playoffs. And if Vazquez will be the guy left out come playoff time for the rotation is McCarthy ready to step his game up in the playoffs? I'm sure Kenny is considering all this- not just the regular season. I like the fact that he's thinking further than 2006, but is trading Garland for pitching prospects help us anytime soon? Probably not. If KW trades Garland i hope it will be for an excellent reliever or a center fielder and some pitching prospects. So far Houston, Texas, and Baltamore have called KW that we know of in regards to Jon G. I hope he waits until the complete best offer is on table. I also hope he waits until Contreras and AJ P are signed to deals.

Last year, we got El Duque for the express purpose of having him available to start those big playoff games. It didn't quite work out that way. The top four starters will be decided in late September when it comes time to set a playoff rotation. Again.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)

Add LAdodgers to the list of callers as well.

With the talk about the asking price for Garland two pitching prospects [the only published reports of what the sox may be looking for in a trade, not our personal wish lists], one would have to be a top tier SP prospect almost ready for the bigs [start in AAA, ala Bmac this yr] who could take over in case one of the 5 got hurt. The other could be a lefty starter, who could start in AA [and help the sox at least in the pen sometime this yr] That scenario makes the most sense for a few reasons;

1] the sox are close to being maxed out payroll wise [KW likes to have some cushion going into the yr so a deadline deal could be made]. A young pitcher in the minors who could step into the rotation solves that.

2] the sox need to have some payroll flexibility to re-sign AJ and Jose.

3] a AA lefty SP prospect could always help this yr in the bullpen. Esp. later in the yr when the sox would really need someone to step up and provide the bullpen with a little push [as they get tired arms]

4] Few teams are trading elite relievers. Most are overpaying for mediocre ones. I'd rather have a long man in the bullpen like a journey man or a young guy like Sean Tracey filling in

5] the sox don't need an ace lefty in the pen [they have Cotts]. they just need a LOGGY.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
I would welcome Carl back at the deadline.  If we were making a push for the playoffs his bat off the bench would be a nice addition.  There are certainly worse people you can trade for.  Plus he's only on a 1 year deal this time...We won't need him though, hopefully.

Everett is pretty useless off the bench seeing how he can't play the feild at all and isn't all that good of a hitter. I'd rather never see him in a Sox uniform again.

Good points, I just think the idea of defense and pitching should be our mantra forever and Jon unless he gets broke appears to be one of those special talents (as long as he keeps listening to Buehrle and works fast).

I think Mark B, Jon and Fred should be our big three for the next 7 years.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Good points, I just think the idea of defense and pitching should be our mantra forever and Jon unless he gets broke appears to be one of those special talents (as long as he keeps listening to Buehrle and works fast).

Why would you want Garcia for the next 7 years over McCarthy? I think if they were both in the rotation in '06 McCarthy might already bput up better numbers let alone for the future.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)

Considering I've seen Garcia lose about 3 mph from his fastball in the last few years, I'm sure he'll be able to top out at about 86 mph in 7 years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Considering I've seen Garcia lose about 3 mph from his fastball in the last few years, I'm sure he'll be able to top out at about 86 mph in 7 years.

I wouldn't say to muc h bad about Freddie except for a fit guy he sure sweats a lot. I was very much afraid to see KOnerko walk after his last year. Garland is not the same guy as Paulie With Garland we saw him have mediocrel seasons always saying he is a star. We stuck with him. Now that he's realized his potential he wants to get paid more than we want to pay him. KW makes great trades and we always argue are we going to get a return on the player we trade for or is the minor leaguer be a hit or a miss. I'm for getting another reliever and restock our minor league talent. HOw about a minor league prospect catcher who can actually throwout runners, hit for avg and call a good game. A lefty reliever who can take Cotts place in the pen so he can become a starter. A decent third baseman who can step in when Crede/Borass and KW can't get together. Hey maybe Garcia might've got those mph back on his fast ball over the winter. ...............

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
I wouldn't say to muc h bad about Freddie except for a fit guy he sure sweats a lot.  I was very much afraid to see KOnerko walk after his last year.  Garland is not the same guy as Paulie With Garland we saw him have mediocrel seasons always saying he is a star.  We stuck with him.  Now that he's realized his potential he wants to get paid more than we want to pay him.  KW makes great trades and we always argue are we going to get a return on the player we trade for or is the minor leaguer be a hit or a miss.  I'm for getting another reliever and restock  our minor league talent.  HOw about a minor league prospect catcher who can actually throwout runners, hit for avg and call a good game.  A lefty reliever who can take Cotts place in the pen so he can  become a starter. A decent third baseman who can step in when Crede/Borass and KW can't get together.  Hey maybe Garcia might've got those mph back on his fast ball over the winter.  ...............

I'm with you on acquiring a great young defensive catcher that can hit for average, however i wouldn't waste trying to get a great 3rd base prospect when you have fields who has only had 2 minor league season, which I know haven't been great, but you can't give up on him yet. Instead of a 3rd baseman we need to start restocking the arms in the pullpen we've lost, especially those southpaws.

I didn't realize Fred's fastball was dwindling.

I just figured it'd be nice to keep him until he's as old as some of those crafty guys who pitch into their 40s.

If Brandon is the real deal, fine, but I prefer the big 3 I mentioned the next 7 years.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
I didn't realize Fred's fastball was dwindling.

I just figured it'd be nice to keep him until he's as old as some of those crafty guys who pitch into their 40s.

If Brandon is the real deal, fine, but I prefer the big 3 I mentioned the next 7 years.

And if you want to keep those big 3 over the next 7 years, it's really gonna cost ya, b/w $40-50M per season for those 3 possibly, if they keep pitching well, and the market for starting pitching keeps getting worse and worse.

That's why it's important to keep young guys like B-Mac who are good, because it offers so much more payroll flexibility.