Royals sign four free agents

SSH2005

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...xt=.jsp&c_id=kc

They signed four free agents -- pitcher Scott Elarton, second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and catcher Paul Bako -- general manager Allard Baird announced Friday morning.

Elarton, who signed a two-year contract, figures to be in the starting rotation. Grudzielanek, who signed a one-year deal with a club option for 2007, is expected to be the regular second baseman.

Mientkiewicz is likely to share time with Matt Stairs and perhaps Mike Sweeney at first base. Bako will be the backup to starting catcher John Buck. Mientkiewicz and Bako each got one-year contracts.

WORLD SERIES, HERE THEY COME!!!

Edited by SSH2005

wow thats kind of surprising..... I havent watched the royals for a long time but I thought they had a pretty good young 2B Ruben Gotay I think his name was... why sign Grudz.

Because this is how the Royals have operated for years. They continue to sign washed-up veterans to start for them instead of just playing prospects at every position. It really makes no sense either. They are going to lose anyways. Why not see what your prospects can do?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Because this is how the Royals have operated for years.  They continue to sign washed-up veterans to start for them instead of just playing prospects at every position.  It really makes no sense either.  They are going to lose anyways.  Why not see what your prospects can do?

yeah, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Look at how the Brewers did it, they sucked for awhile, was willing to go with young players and last year they had their first .500 season in awhile. While they don't pass out awards for that I really think they're building something up there. They're a team who doesn't have to do anything in the offseason and they automatically get better with the players having experience and possibly Sheets healthy for a whole season.

Out of all the teams it bothers me a lot to see how much Pittsburgh and KC just have zero chance every year. Those use to be good baseball towns and now they're just an after thought.

well here's the question, if you had already won a ring, would you consider playing with a crappy team if you knew you would start or would you ride the pine for a shot at another ring? i'd ride the pine but i think a good argument can be made either way, especially since you will probably get more cash if you are starting (even for the royals)

True.  I'd rethink the previous comment about the Brewers.  They will have to dealt with soon, if not in '06.

If they can get one more Arm in their Rotation.. It would be nice chance, I see them in 07 making a run, this year with that " rookie" INF.. They are going to struggle a tad. I still think they Finish 2nd unless Houston gets some offense.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
If they can get one more Arm in their Rotation.. It would be nice chance, I see them in 07 making a run, this year with that " rookie" INF.. They are going to struggle a tad. I still think they Finish 2nd unless Houston gets some offense.

They, along with Houston and St. Louis, will rule the NL central. The rest will battle for 4th place.

being at u of missouri, i think this one kid said he wanted some of these players...its a terrible situation down there...i really thought they were ognna have a great rotation when runelvys hernandez or whatever and miguel acensio were pitchin so great in 03...shame it didn't work out...not for us but for them, how terrible would it feel to absolutely KNOW you won't do s*** and its not just because you are rebuilding, its because you will NEVER be winning